Nahvertigungwaffe, ever seen it work?

I've been playing CM for about 2 months and I have yet to see the Navertigungwaffe in action. Am I correct that the NV was a short range anti-infantry, multibarreled mortar mounted on panthers and tigers? What does it do in CM? is it effective? what's it look like? I've seen them work to brutal effect in CC2 but not in CM.

On a somewhat related topic, what about "beehive" antipersonel rounds for tanks? I'm pretty sure they existed in WWII but i've never seen them in CM. Am I missing something?

Guest Germanboy

Have a look a t the IWM - BANDWITH (do a search) thread. I have taken a picture of the NV in the Imperial War Museum Jagdpanther. It was one-barreled and more knowledgeable people than me argue about it. I believe Desertfox has it on his website.

And yes, I have seen it in action, and it ain't pretty. Try close-assaulting a German tank with infantry.

------------------

Andreas

Seen it in the game. Works good. Writing letters to families of troops who also saw it work.

Looks like an airburst right over the top of the tank.

------------------

Sticks and stones may break my . . OUCH! Hey! Who threw . . .Stop! STOP IT!

I saw it in the Villers-Bocage-Op. Wittmann's Tiger fired it at an infantry squad which was to close and routed it on the spot - also immobilizing his Tiger...

Edit: I hope I get this right with the UBB thingie. The link should go to DesertFox's weppage where the Nahverteidigungswaffe is dealt with.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Capsule/2930/NahVtdgW/artnahvtdgw.htm

It works!! smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Schugger (edited 10-21-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Schugger (edited 10-21-2000).]

Make a scenario with a tiger or panzer or whatever with no ammo. Put in some inf. MGs work well because they move slowly. Put them in a building so your tank doesn't MG them to death. Roll the tank up next to the building. Watch the Navertihuntingsunwaffey at work.

P.S. I think it's overpowered to. As I remember it was mainly a smoke mortar that was able to fire an anti infantry charge but was generally so ineffective that most crews didn't bother bring any of the anti-inf charges.