BUG BUG BUG

Sorry if it is already fixed, but doing a search for bugs seems to hard at this late hour smile.gif

I'm playing a VoT PBEM as Allied. I do the usual mass Arty attack on Plomville and then I go for it...

Now we are fighting in the streets. I had a depleted platoon in the light building NW, fighting across the street against 2 or 3 German squads in the heavy building right south of it. I saw the movie and in the second 60, the building collapses, killing a lot of my men... I was shelling the church with 105 arty, so (and my opponent) tought that was friendly fire...

As I don't saw the shell which make that massacre, I played the movie a few times until I saw that the building collapses because a potato masher explodes a few seconds after being launched... I laughed (at least don't was friendly fire) and rewinded the movie to continue evaluating my next move.

NOW COMES THE BUG.

In the second 60, the grenade explodes and NOTHING HAPPENS...

THE BUILDING IS STILL THERE... ALL MY TROOPS ARE OK (almost)...

I saw it again and again... I reload the file to get the same outcome, but nothing happens!!!

My opponent saw that building collapsing... I saw that building collapsing at least 5 TIMES...

I think we are in front of the motheer of all bugs biggrin.gif

I have all the files and I think my opponent too (he is offline right now, so, he don't know what happens yet)...

Sorry if it was already covered.

Ariel

Well, my friend and I were playing a game of CE and one file was having a hard time transferring and finally it got through. I watched it and it showed one of my Shermans getting knocked out. Well, then he sent it again by mistake and this time that Sherman survived and a different Sherman was hit. I assume he didn't redo the turn. So apparently results can vary from file to file, but when the next file is sent, that fixes the history of events. However, that is a bug, I guess. But I don't know how'd they fix that.

------------------

"The greatest risk...is not taking one."

One thingie on collapsed buildings: I would like to see the outer walls still standing. Light buildings should collapse one a direct 105mm hit, minimal after the second. And walls dont really work. When I move units to the point where it says 'wall' they end up IN the wall and get much more hits as when I put them close behind the wall on 'open ground'.

murx

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Murx:

And walls dont really work. When I move units to the point where it says 'wall' they end up IN the wall and get much more hits as when I put them close behind the wall on 'open ground'.

murx<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Err, they work. What you do is that you put them on top of the wall. If you want them to benefit from the wall's cover, you have to put them onto the open ground right behind the wall. Zoom to camera 1 and put the movement marker as close as possible.

------------------

Andreas

The powers of accurate perception are often called cynicism by those who do not possess them. (forgot who said it)

Well, I'd say that is how walls should work - after all, if you want cover from a wall, you do stand just behind it. And, since walls will only give cover from one direction, the way BTS currently has this modelled is the best choice IMO - if you were on the wall to recieve cover, how would it know which side to give cover from? As far as the standing in the wall goes, yes, those graphics are not ideal. But, given how difficult it would be to get them to stand on top of the wall, I'll take it.

------------------

Questions, comments, arguments, refutations, criticisms, and/or sea stories?

This is a very rare Bug, occurring only when computers in Argentina (particularly Macs) are involved in high volume email exchange with computers in the United States of American.

It is especially virulent when large amounts of '05 battery fire are being simulated!

If these conditions match your situation, your best solution may be to immediately destroy your computer, cut your electricity, and go make tools from rocks.

Hope that helps,

James.

Well, when I send the turn to my opponent, the house was still here...

Then we decided to play with the first result (i.e. the building collapsing), so he sent me again the former turn... This time I don't replayed the movie and the building collapses and everybody is happy now (except maybe 14 digital widows).

Ariel

Maybe I can explain the Bug a little bit better so somebody can answer Ariel question and we can move on.

Ariel and I were PBEM'ing VoT. He dropped a whole bunch of ordance on Plomville, resulting in several buildings collapsing.

He charges a platoon of GI's into one of the remaining light building on the far right of the town.

I have a squad of Germans across street. My troops are throwing grenade after grenade into the building the GI's are in - probably 5 grenades in one turn. At the final grenade throw in Second 60, the grenade explodes and the building collapses. This building had taken a lot of '05 hits, so I thought the event was not extraordinary. I send the PBEM file to Ariel.

He watches it several times, each time the grenade lands and down comes the building. On about the 6th or 7th time watching it, the grenade lands, explodes but the building remains standing!

He watches the same movie again and again after this change and the building remains standing each time. He sends me the next turn so I can plot orders and sure enough that damn building was standing there, GI's intact!

We decided to go with the orginal version I saw and he saw several times. That time through there are no problems.

I don't know what happen nor do I care, but will someone please help Ariel.

Thanks,

James.

Guest Rollstoy

I think another problem is the scaling of HE effects, when a single hand-grenade can have such a decisive impact.

Guest aka PanzerLeader

You're right Rollstoy, the HE effects on buildings seem to be cumulative in Ariel's story. That grenade was the decisive drop in an ocean of destruction wink.gif

I remember that there have been bugs involving buildings (anybody have a rubbled building eat some nearby infantry?) and this could be somehow related.

If Ariel was loading the same exact file from James every time and suddenly this building decided to stay standing, then I am baffled.

I will, however, keep this thread near the top.

DjB

Doug, the thing happens in the same PLAY of the file. I played it a few times, and suddenly, in one play the building stands...

When I tried later with the same file, the building still stands... Then I received the file again from James, and the building collapses... eek.gif

Ariel