B17 II screen shots.

Guest KwazyDog

I went out and bought this game, couldnt resist.

The trick at the moment is getting the game to run long enough without crashing to desktop to take the screen shots. wink.gif

Once they work out the problems though, I think this will be a very nice sim.

Guest KwazyDog

Jarhead, from what Ive read (Ive been following it) it has been released in the US, about a week ago. It was released over here in Aus about 2 to 3 weeks ago now. Check out...

http://www.bombs-away.net/

There are a lot of unhappy people on the forum unfortuantely, but I believe there is a patch in the works. Also note that it needs a higher end system to run nicely.

I just found this. Let me know if it helps.

In an odd twist, the installation routine installs and enables drivers for A3D sound, unless you actually have an A3D compatible card, you need to specifically disable A3D from the Pre-Game splash screen as leaving it enabled can cause the game the crash,

Guest KwazyDog

Thanks Jarhead, I found that issue but unfortuantely it didnt help.

The problems with this sim run much deeper. Have a look at the forum and you will get an idea. The crash do desktops in my opinion may be due to a memory leak, the more virtual memory you give it to run, the longer it lasts (at least in my case). People are having many problems, and a lot arent very happy at all!

Thats being said though, if you have a love of these old warbirds (I have since B17 on my old 'intellevision' when I was 10 wink.gif), youve got to get yourself the game!

Guest AL the red

I`ve had this game for a fortnight,and apart from jerky dogfighting action,have had no problems at all! .I had a huge improvement in textures though when i "downgraded" to Nvidia 6.47 drivers.

Guest KwazyDog

Thomm, to be honest I have never made it to a target to drop (becuase of crashing) so Ive never seen them except in air combat, hehe. I think they are done rather similar to those in Combat Mission in design, but are using transparency to fade them out around the edges. This is something Ive had in mind to talk to Chalres about for some time for CM2... smile.gif

Jarhead, it is very dependant on system specs as to wether B-17 will run fine of be one big pain in the butt. My system is an Thunderbird 900 with 256mb RAM and a Geforce 2 card, and half the time I cant even get *in* the B17 with out it crashing. I had to drop all graphical settings back to low just to be able to fly.

That being said though, they are close to a patch, which Im hoping will fix this problem smile.gif

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 12-19-2000).]

Been playing it as well for the last couple of weeks on a PIII700/196MB/TNTIIultra. Hardly any crashes, but a lot of other minor bugs and annoyances, many of which are indeed reported -in great and sometimes very expletive detail- on the Bombs-Away B17 forum. I find myself swearing and cursing a lot really, while playing it. And after a couple of missions I rather get the "more of the same" feeling.

All in all I'm wondering if I should have kept the money and played CM a bit more...

BTW, it DOES look impressive though.

------------------

I prefer an enemy who's willing to die for his country. That way both him and me have the same aim in mind.

I bought this game yesterday. It took me about 4 hours of farting around just to get the game running. After about 5 hours of play time I have only suffered one CTD. Which after reading the bombs-away forum seems pretty good wink.gif

------------------

Work is the curse of the drinking class.

I have nothing else to say. Ya, quote that you rat bastards.

-Meeks

I got it at EB on the 15th which I think was the official release date in the US. I thought for a long time that it was an overly ambitious project that would never happen, now I think that maybe it is an overly ambitious project that has happened. It has been out in Europe for a couple of weeks so I knew what I was getting into but I just bought it and didn't worry about the $45. Some of the graphics are really great but I know it missed last Christmas and they weren't going to miss another one. Can you say bugs and crashes?

KwazyDog is right about it maybe being a good sim, but I think he is being too polite when he says "once they work out the problems." More likely "if they work out the problems."

Go to http://www.bombs-away.net/ to see a different approach from BTS to putting a sim on the market.

Guest KwazyDog

Rick, your right, I am probably being over generous. I do think we will definately see one patch, and I am hoping that will at least fix the crash to desktops.

After buying F4 the day it was released though, Ive been skeptical ever since smile.gif I do have my fingures crossed, but am not holding my breath.

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 12-19-2000).]

Maximus, good point on the name, I didn't even realize that. They are one in the same, though. I have been following it for at least 1 1/2 years. On their board tonight they are talking about a patch and some people are hoping for stripes on the runways and all engine gauges that work. As KwazyDog said they are probably working on the desktop crashes, missing crewman, and other more serious issues.

Kwazydog said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Thats being said though, if you have a love of these old warbirds (I have since B17 on my old 'intellevision' when I was 10 ), youve got to get yourself the game!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"That's the wrong target!" Sorry, I couldn't resist. I loved that Intellivoice...

------------------

Youth is wasted on the young.

Guest Shatter50

Ok guys is this truth or fiction.

I also have been waiting for weeks for this game. I have gone to CompUSA, Fry's, Best Buy and a couple others over the past week. All the stores I have mentioned all tell me B-17 isn't even at the distributors yet. I want this game bad. So please please tell me what store you guys bought B-17 or E-mail me at SuperhorseGT@aol.com.

Also the new B-17 game is what I want before this thread I did not know there was another B-17 games available.

Guest KwazyDog

'Fiiiggghters siix o clock',...I grew up thinking thats how Americans spoke Deadmarsh, hehehe. Ive even heard rumers that Charles had himself an Intellivision in their day wink.gif

Shatter, I know it was supposed to be delayed in the US until after Christmas, but they decided to release it anyways. Check out the link I posted above for more info. They have a forum you might like to post the question too as well...

Dan

Guest KwazyDog

Its a pretty fair review.

Ill be honest here, had I not known about these issues before I purchased the game I would be very dissapointed. Like I mentioned above, I have not yet been able to read the target due to CTD's. I havnt played it a whole let yet, and Im sure I will get it running better if I tweak it.

The thing is, should I have to tweak it? I went in with my eyes open about the problems, and thus do not have any complaints. I think there will be a lot of people over Christmas whom cant understand why they cant get it running properly, and probably some that will spend money getting their system service and upgraded for no reason.

I sure hope this isnt the sign of the future though, after F4 I was hoping the sim market would learn their lesson...I do hope that Wayward will at least give us one patch though smile.gif

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 12-20-2000).]

Guest AL the red

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarhead:

Al: What are you running the game on? mem, and speed wise? And what res are you using?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PIII 550mhz ,128 mb ram,20gig H/d,TNT2 Vanta

at 800x600.

Ok,the game could be smoother in some areas,i.e Dogfighting and gunnery.The graphics are stable now(using 6.47 )whereas before the terrain looked like a green sea,bobbing up and down!I think the windows swapfile is a big issue (it needs to be big)and a defragged H/d is essential too.Al