4 Days and counting... (slightly off topic)

A scant 4 days until my life is further assimilated into the 'net.

CABLE MODEM!!!!

Then my long winded posts and replies will take 2.5 seconds to send to the forum instead of 3 seconds. Think of all the time I will save!!! Woo Hoo Hamma Down....

Seriously, anyone else here have cable modem yet?

I had mine installed in January, right after they rolled them out. I usually see 2 to 2.5 megabits/second, so now I seriously abuse the Internet with giant downloads. I do a lot of work with cable companies (representing cities), and I've had a chance to pepper my provider's engineers with questions. They are acutely aware of the bad reputation cable modems earned on old systems (and they hate those "web hog" ads from the phone companies), so they WAY overbuilt the system, and it will stay fast even when a large number of subscribers pile on. The homepage says "expect 1.5 to 2.0 Mbps," and I read in a forum post that they use 1.5 down and 384K up as their service floors. They want to beat DSL speeds, no matter what.

It was also interesting to see the download speed increase when I upgraded my machine. Everything gets processed more quickly, and so is displayed sooner. The web seems much faster now, and online gaming is LAN smooth. For example, the best pings in Counterstrike that I used to see with my old machine (PII/266, LX motherboard) were around 150-180, and I could not play on maps with more than 8 players. Now, with the PIII/733 on an ASUS P3V4X, I'm down in the 50-60 ping range even in a 24 player game. I'm in hardware heaven now. Ph34r my 1337 ski11z!

I just got a cable modem like two days ago. They are soooooo cool. Just get a good firewall set up.

------------------

To conquer others is to have power,

To conquer yourself is to have strength.

-Lao Tzu

I've had cable since last October and it works great about 99% of the time (real heavy rain knocks it out sometimes). I get pings down in the 20s in Cstrike and UT. It's a big advantage in FPS games. Built a new machine about 3 months ago with an Athlon 600, Geforce 256, 2 voodoo2s, 128 mb ram, 21 inch monitor. It takes anything I throw at it. So bring on that TCP/IP with TEAMPLAY eek.gif! Pile it on baby!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phil the Dill:

Damm Austrailian tech.

Sigh. Sigh. frown.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can get it down here, ya got pay a fortune to put it on though.

i) cost of connecting to cable TV (if cable is available)

ii) cost of cable modem

iii) cost of exhorbitant ISP cable fees

GACK!

Mace