TCP/IP pause feature

I would like to explore the issue of enjoying a great TCP/IP game with a timer (say 15 minutes per turn) to add some fun time pressure, BUT then one player has to pause to deal with some unexpected job related or family emergency beyond their control.

We all have a lot of expectations as to HOW wonderful TCP/IP can be, but it does presume BOTH players can dedicate and focus some unintrupted time on the TCP/IP session at hand. (this may be more difficult for some than for others)

I'm wondering how the TCP/IP can be implimented to be FAIR to both parties, but account for some emergency that means one player will have to step away from the battle and pause it for a short time.

Maybe this is no big deal but it should be implimented in a way that is fair to both players so that a pause in the action means neither player has any unforseen adavantage if he is waiting for the other to return to the computer.

I really think that playing under some agreed to and self regulated time presure will be REALLY fun, it will also keep the game moving.

The problem is that when one person needs to pause I would hope the other person will not gain some unforseen or as yet undetermined advantage. Just a thought to try to keep it as balanced and fair as possible.

smile.gif

-tom w

What about the option to convert a TCP/IP game to email? (and back again).

This would nicely cover the 'emergency' situation you described. There would probably need to be a 'chat window' available in the TCP/IP interface.

Just an idea...

[This message has been edited by Sitting Duck (edited 09-26-2000).]

Guest Scott Clinton

No, I don't think communication alone can solve all possible time issues.

I would dearly love the ability to convert email games to TCP/IP and back. But I think that is a lot to ask for in a patch.

It would be a God-send at least be able to save TCP/IP games and then pick them up later in the same mode (TCP/IP) again.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

BTS has said there will be a save feature. Just save the game..

Remember BTS has very limited resources and we should all look at ways to solve any issue we have with the game before asking for a modification (of course we are now asking for modifications to things that don't exist yet! wink.gif )

------------------

Veni, vidi, panzerschrecki

Guest Scott Clinton

Banshee is, of course, right.

And I do seem to recall that Steve said they would have a save feature now that I think of it.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

One problem I need to address is when I am suddenly cut off from my ISP. Will there be a way to reconnect if I am disconnected? This happens to me frequently and I am at a loss to know why. And does TCP/IP work on standard modem connections?

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.