Great News for Mac users with graphics troubles!

The new version of OpenGL (1.2.1) has been released...sort of. The great news is that it comes with a new Rave driver that fixes the black text problems with the ATI rage 128 and Radeon cards.

However, I don't believe the driver is available from Apple yet, but you can still get it if you're desperate enough and don't want to wait. The new version of OpenGL is included with the "Cro-Mag Rally Demo" that was released yesterday. It's a 40MB download though. On the plus side, you get a perfect version of Combat Mission and a demo of new game that looks entertaining enough.

pritzl

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pritzl:

The new version of OpenGL (1.2.1) has been released...sort of. The great news is that it comes with a new Rave driver that fixes the black text problems with the ATI rage 128 and Radeon cards.

However, I don't believe the driver is available from Apple yet, but you can still get it if you're desperate enough and don't want to wait. The new version of OpenGL is included with the "Cro-Mag Rally Demo" that was released yesterday. It's a 40MB download though. On the plus side, you get a perfect version of Combat Mission and a demo of new game that looks entertaining enough.

pritzl<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where is the download?

I'm curious now

thanks

-tom w

I am using a combination of Mac OS 9's ATI drivers, and those that came with my Nexus 128. When I upgraded the drivers, either to those that came with Apple's Multimedia Update 1.0, or ATI's latest Radeon drivers, I got the black text problem. Also, Adobe Illustrator 7 crashes when I bring up the Save dialogue. So on both occasions I downgraded and everything works fine.

David

PS: Moral of the story – if it ain't broke, don't fix it (all too sensible where computers are involved).

[This message has been edited by David Aitken (edited 11-15-2000).]

Great info pritzl.

I just checked Apple Developer Connection site, and OpenGL 1.2.1 is avalable for ADC members. There is an "redistribution note", which states what company/person should contact Apple Software Licensing for redistribution issues.

I think it would be great if Big Time Software will release next patch with OpenGL 1.2.1, of cause providing the patch without OpenGL also.

Wait, I thought that OpenGL does not run CM, rather it uses Rave to drive the graphics. If it does use OpenGL that would be great.

I hope that BTS considers using OpenGL for its next CM iteration. I love CM, and I hope that it will use OpenGL in the future.

I would very much like to see a patch for OpenGL for CM, though I highly doubt this will happen. It was done for F/A-18 Hornet, a combat flight sim, it was done going from glide to OpenGL. I don't know how hard or difficult it would be, or how long it would take, and I suspect that BTS will just concentrate themselves on CM2 for their next line of work.

OpenGL is the more compatable graphics api out there for the mac platform. OpenGL runs on all video cards for the mac, whereas rave is pretty much Ati exclusive except on the 3dfx voodoo 4 and 5.

I have had CM since its release but have been unable to get it to play from a single install. I have a Rev D imac 333 mHz running OS 8.6. To get this game running i had to do wierd stuff with it....double load it....2 CM icons in the Finder menu...and then it would only play in 640x480.

This would lock up my system when i hit the exit button. I would have to use Cmd Shift Esc and power button , just so as to shut it down. This was driving me mental until my bud told me to try this Open GL 1.2.1

Now i can play it in 800x600 in millions of colours , exit with no problems and my hair is starting to grow again biggrin.gif

So if anybody is having problems.....try it

MÃ¥kjager

------------------

Once an Ubërcabbage

Always an Ubërcabbage

FWIW - these are the most recent drivers that i've seen anywhere and they've been tested across all macs. speaking as an apple software guy, by all means use them!

now i'll go beat my head on a wall. finding every way apple software ships, plus when that software ships, has been that !@$!! frustrating

john, aka mac os integration engineer

Question for Mac owners: what resolution do you use?

I am forced to use 800 x 600 due to monitor constraint, but does around 1,000 really make that much of a difference, or is it when you get to 1,500 that you can get the benefit of a higher res Combat Mission?

elementalwarre,

thanks for the info. I notice that it isnt posted at apple yet, any idea when?

be a lot easier on mac users instead of having to d/l cro mag rally to get it.

and welcome! havent seen you post before, but obviously you have. smile.gif

dave

------------------

History is made at night

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aikidorat:

I notice that it isnt posted at apple yet, any idea when?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

not before the next mac os 9 system software release, sorry

however, since the fixed ATI software is shipping, anyone is welcome to ask me to send it to them. just reply to this message via email

who, me post? says who? i hacked the bbs, of course. why bother accumulating messages when you can just set a bit instead

;)