When, oh when oh when will CM be released. I've been waiting since November!!!!

Guest Capt_Manieri

Guest Capt_Manieri

For reference: Stephen Grammont told me that they should have the finished product handed to the duplicators by X-mas. but I haven't heard any news about this...........?!! frown.gif

Guest Madmatt

Capt' I am not sure where you got this info but the last public message from Steve does not indicate that at ALL!

Check out the December 17th update on CMHQ to find a link to Steve Grammonts message. He does not say anything quite so specific as what you have said..

Madmatt out...

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

However long it takes to get the game right is not too long.

I applaud Charles Moylan and Steve Grammont for not rushing this game to the market as other gaming companies have done in the past.

Its harder to sit on the game and make sure it is really "right."

All of us want it, but we want it "right," with as few bugs as possible.

We've been ravaging the scenarios that will be included in the game with the same purpose in mind.

It will come, Captain, but I think you'll agree that the wait for a top quality game will be worth it.

------------------

Wild Bill

Wild Bill's Raiders

Director of Scenario Design,

The Gamers Net

Would it be possible for the people who have preordered (and have either a lot of time or a fast connection) to be able to download the full game from a secure website instead of waiting for it to be duplicated and shipped? I suppose this depends on how big the final game is...

hey man there is no way this will happen it would be TOO easy for someone to bootleg the game, Hopefully none of us here would deny BTS their rightful dues as they really deserve it smile.gif. Im a little dissapointed now as I got to go buy some other game to try and keep me entertained till the gold demo comes out. I was hoping to see the BTS grant us the xmas scenario but unfortunately this didn't happen. Yet despite this I can't forsee or want to see the dling of the full version materialize.

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader....out

Guest Madmatt

From what I have heard that would require a donwload of over several HUNDREDmegabytes, with compression!!! Aint gonna happen friend! smile.gif

Don't base the file size on what you have seen in the Demo. The full game is much bigger!

I believe the Waves files alone (sounds) are over 100mb's....

Madmatt out...

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

I don't think the final game will be that big. look at the demo, you got all that fun in only what 12 meg (I forget the exact size). From what I understand the final game will be under 100 meg. Most games are large because they fill them up with a lot of useless junk, Direct X, demos, videos etc. For me, keep CM lean and mean. Who needs mega installs?

Guest Mikeman

I may be dead wrong on this, but it seems to me I read in a thread long ago that the full install for CM would require 600 MB of disk space.

Mikeman out.

The Demo has 7.71MB of bmp files and 11MB of wav files. Considering that the demo includes only 6 different looking infantry textures(I think it's 6... It's close at any rate), 3 tanks(Stug, Sherman, Tiger), and the halftrack, plus only some of the textures for environment, I'd assume it would be pretty large for the full install of the final release. I'm basing this on the list of included units I read a while back.

I'm not real sure on the wav files, as I don't know if *everything* will have different sounds. I'd guess there'd be a fair ammount of new sounds too.

Capt_Manieri, you've been waiting since November. I've been waiting since May. Fionn has been waiting for I dunno how long. Steve and Charles have been working on it for like 2 years now, and I'm sure they're just as anxious as anybody for CM to be ready.

We're ALL waiting for it, just like you. And I, for one, am prepared to wait until BTS says it's ready for prime-time (and I'm not talking about sending a copy to Deion Sanders)

The more you think about it, the longer the wait will seem. I'm busy enough between work, sleeping, friends, and trying to build a social life (that is, trying to get to sleep with some of those friends) that I don't concentrate too much on the wait.

DjB

Guest Big Time Software

Well, here is a bit of an update.

We had hoped to get CM to the duplicators before x-mas, but this became a pipe dream in early December. Quite simply put, we based our expectations on how complete the game itself was. Unfortunately, CM needs quite a bit more polish before it will be ready as a whole.

In very late November we started working on "cleaning things up" for final release quality. It was then that the weight of CM's depth and feature set hit us squarely between the eyes! There is SO MUCH in CM that it is taking us much longer than we anticipated to get CM totally finished. Although the bugs and tweaks are becoming fewer each and every day, we are NOT yet happy with things as a whole (DYO needs a bit of work for example). We also have a lot of UI, sound fx, graphics, etc. polish to do. In addition to that, the documentation is a real bitch to do smile.gif The problem is that Charles needs to spend at least one week filling in gaps, but he is still spending 16+ hrs a day coding. So until Charles gets over the last coding hump the documentation can't be finished. Obviously we need both the game AND the manual to ship smile.gif

So the bottom line is that CM is not ready to go. Since we are basically on "vacation" until after News Years Day, we haven't yet figured out where CM stands in terms of release date. We don't mean to be stringing you guys along (nobody wants CM to ship more than us!) but the release is a big guessing game and we have so far underestimated how much work there is to do.

Sigh... that's the curse of game development. Everybody wants to hear a date (including us!!), but one never knows if it is doable until the date has come and gone. In other words, we can tell you with 100% certainty when CM *DIDN'T* ship, but not when it will ship wink.gif

Steve

Well, I left the board gaming world perhaps ten years ago and until now I have not seen a computer wargame that truly engenders the 'jaw on the floor' syndrome as much as Combat Mission does. Since I have been 'waiting' for ten years for something akin to CM, I can wait an extra few weeks to get it done CORRECTLY. After all, the Beta Demo by itself is the best computer wargame I have ever seen. I can only wonder how good the final product will be.

I'm afraid they can't win this battle no matter what they do. If they release to soon to make a few souls happy they make the other side angry for releasing a game that's not finished. I'm playing other games and enjoying myself, checking out the board daily and eventually the game will ship smile.gif

Steve, Charles, Bravo for taking your time to make sure CM is truly complete when you ship it. The software industry is too obsessed with dates, they rush and ship incomplete software to meet deadlines, and the result is the garbage we call Windows, CC, and 75-80% of software we see on the shelves.

Its kinda ironic that I read this post just after I spent the day touring at M$'s headquarters in Redmond (my bro works for them)...

keep up the good work, and I look forward to seeing the complete Cm, but god knows I can wait (hell, I expect my gpa to take a nosedive when CM is released, the longer that is post-poned the better. wink.gif)

-EridanMan

Actually Atomic isn't that bad when it comes to releasing completed games (although I totally hate CC4 and have deleted it from my HD already). The patches they made for CC2 and CC3 wasn't a must have really. The games were very playable without (no crashes that is). Just thought I'd share my opinion on that smile.gif

Guest Tom punkrawk

As some have previously mentioned, many have been waiting for this game for quite some time.

I think the first time i heard about it was sometime between july and late august.

Then really started watching the forums everyday in September(and i must thank Moon once again for mentioning CM on his site,otherwise I wouldn't have learned of it 'til much later).

Patience is a virtue, it is also a learned art, I suggest those of you who complain of the game not being finished take the time to learn it.

Josh McNair

------------------

Dork Punk Productions and Design

WW2Games page-

http://www.geocities.com/ww2games

Battle Of The Bulge TC for ww2gi-

http://www.geocities.com/botbtc

Ww2gi Screaming Eagles multiplayer group-

http://www.geocities.com/screamingeagles1

We ain't got no place to go,let's go to a punk rawk show

Just to state an added opinion that BTS should take the time it needs to get it right for CM. If it's another month or two---or three---so be it.

Some might roll their eyes back with that comment, but in this present market of PC games, it's REALLY hard to say that you can't find ANYTHING to keep you entertained in the interim.

Guest Big Time Software

Quenaelin, nah... if we went Gold 3 weeks ago we would have still shipped in 2000. Trust me, we aren't holding back for marketing reasons.

As for the game being done... almost correct. The BULK of the game is technically done, but until you have tried to actually finish a big project like this, you have no idea how long that last 5% takes smile.gif The reason so many games on the market suck is because the suits in charge kick the game out the door before the last 5% is complete. In short, it might be a minor percentage of the total work, but it very often makes the difference between a horrible to fantastic game. Although I think you guys would love what we have right now, the bitching would start on Day One, trust me smile.gif

Steve