Why does Tigers StuGIII and StuGIV look the same?

I just played a battle with a StuG III and a StuG IV and noticed that both vehicles looked exactly the same, same BMPs, same textures etc., despite them both in real life having different appearances. I downloaded Tigers(JohnS) foliage StuG/StuH pack from CMHQ and am not sure if his textures have overwritten the original StuG IV textures as I'm sure there was a difference between the StuG III/IV with the original game. Is this right? What are the original BMPs for the StuG IV. Tiger? what ya reckon?

Guest Lord General MB

Soldier,

Perhaps because it is generally the same in real life? Thus using the same texture suits it fine.

------------------

Salute!

Lord General Mr. Bill

Supreme Commander

1st Army

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

The models for the StuGIII and the StuGIV are the same in CM. They also use the same textures. Except the SuGIV uses a slightly different side texture with different road wheel configuration.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but Im sure CM's original bmps for each were quite different. I remember when I first started playing I put them together to see the accuracy. There were real differences in the hull and superstructure design, the foliage pack has seemed to have made both vehicles exactly the same despite one using the PzIII hull and the other using the PzIV hull and chassis. If they both really do share the same BMPs then this should be addressed with a patch. For me this is as wrong as using a Tiger model for the PzIV.

[This message has been edited by Lordfluffers (edited 11-24-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lordfluffers:

Yeah but Im sure CM's original bmps for each were quite different. I remember when I first started playing I put them together to see the accuracy. There were real differences in the hull and superstructure design, the foliage pack has seemed to have made both vehicles exactly the same despite one using the PzIII hull and the other using the PzIV hull and chassis. If they both really do share the same BMPs then this should be addressed with a patch. For me this is as wrong as using a Tiger model for the PzIV.

[This message has been edited by Lordfluffers (edited 11-24-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, put down the drugs and back away. biggrin.gif I'm telling you that even the original stock StuGIII and StuGIV textures and model were the same except the StuGIVs road wheel were different. If you've got my Winter StuG mod from CMHQ, I used the original textures to do those and they are the same.

Maybe you are confusing the StuG series to the JgPzIV series. Then in that case, they are very different.

Besides, I can tell you that changing the texture art on any bmp is NOT going to change the 3D model that it is layed on.

------------------

--"We want information."

--"Information."

--"Information."

--"Who are you?"

--"The new Number 2."

--"Who is Number 1?"

--"You are Number 6."

--"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

--"Hahahahahahahaha."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

OK, put down the drugs and back away. biggrin.gif I'm telling you that even the original stock StuGIII and StuGIV textures and model were the same except the StuGIVs road wheel were different. If you've got my Winter StuG mod from CMHQ, I used the original textures to do those and they are the same.

Maybe you are confusing the StuG series to the JgPzIV series. Then in that case, they are very different.

Besides, I can tell you that changing the texture art on any bmp is NOT going to change the 3D model that it is layed on.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks MAxi for clearing that up for me. I've been clean for three weeks now, but am definitely not confusing the JagdPanzerIV with the Stugs. I was just convinced that the StuGIII and Iv had a different superstructure and chassis.

The shared component was the central superstructure (fighting compartment). Stug IV had standard PZIV hull, including engine deck and hull front. Because of differences in driver position between the two hulls, the driver's compartment on the Stug IV was extended forwards quite noticeably. Guess this was a model where BTS ran out of time...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Guess this was a model where BTS ran out of time...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but it was really disappointing for me to see it. The M36s are versions of the same vehicle. The StuG III and IV were seperate vehicles. I had no problem with there being one model for the Pz IV models because the differences were very minor. I would have thought that with the Pz IV chassis already having been modelled, the creation of a real StuG IV would have been relatively easy. Oh, well.

No, I think the tracks were approximately the same width. The IV had 8 roadwheels instead of 6 and it would appear that the overall contact length with the ground was substantially longer. This could account for a difference but the IV weighed more.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RMC:

Yeah, but it was really disappointing for me to see it. The M36s are versions of the same vehicle. The StuG III and IV were seperate vehicles. I had no problem with there being one model for the Pz IV models because the differences were very minor. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, for reference, RMC, this would be more accurate portrayal of the M36B1 TD (a LOT different from the M36):

4293415_0_5744.fpx,0,0,1,1,1024,670,FFFFFF

Sorry for the nitpick. But it took me a little while, a couple of months ago, to gin up that picture, so I'm milking it for what it's worth wink.gif. And BTS plans to correct this someday anyway.

RMC,

I assume you know that the vehicles are "coded" differently and that it is only visually that they look "alike".

If you take a look at the two Jackson versions I think you will agree that they look about as dissimilar as the two StuG versions, no matter if they originate from the same basic model or completely different chassis designs.

It is a subjective matter of course but the whole point is that it takes time to make a 3D model of a visually different vehicle, and time was not at hand.

The alternative would have been to leave out some vehicles.

M.

Mattias,

Oh, I know they are modeled differently inside the game engine, it was just such a shock when I first noticed that my StuG IV had the wrong hull that I actually thought I had bought the wrong vehicle. Now that it has been pointed out, I see the major difference between the M36B and the original on the M10 chassis. And I must say that looks to have been even an easier model to make, just mating the turret on the sherman hull. Man, time must have been tiiiiiiiight. wink.gif