Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Will the Combat Mission games run from OneDrive?

Posted (edited)

I haven't attempted this myself, so I don't have an absolute answer. This Quora article about installing games on OneDrive seems to suggest that the storage space offered by OneDrive wouldn't be a substitute for local drive space to run an application. One reason would likely be the network bandwidth and latency that would be involved with running a program over the internet. In order to run the games you would need to download/install the game to local drive space in order to use it. In essence OneDrive would only be acting as a backup for the installers of the games, but really wouldn't work as direct storage to run the games.

If you absolutely do not have the disk space to run any of these games, then OneDrive does NOT seem to be a solution to that.

If the funds are available, M.2 or 2.5" SATA drives are not all too expensive for a decent amount of space. However if this is a work laptop, then I could understand that upgrading the drive may not be an option. Also for a laptop, if you need to copy over the current drive, you would also need a USB adapter to the SATA or M.2 NVMe drive to perform the 'cloning'.

Edited by Schrullenhaft

54 minutes ago, Schrullenhaft said:

If you absolutely do not have the disk space to run any of these games, then OneDrive does NOT seem to be a solution to that.

I put my save games on OneDrive but the programs I keep off of OneDrive.  That would waste too much space on OneDrive.  Just time to invest in more space for your laptop, if your laptop has room for it.  The prices of SSDs are approaching the price of the Combat Mission Games.

What I haven't tried is running Combat Mission off of my USB C NVMe flash drive.  That kind of solution may help out.  Does anyone have any experience doing this?

Posted (edited)

I don't care about onedrive, but I did run CM from network shares (SMB). from my server in my LAN.

I do not know whether onedrive is comparable to that or whether microsoft hacked up things to be weird.

Edited by Redwolf