Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

La Madeline CTD

I'm getting a CTD whenever I click the start button on the BP2 scenario 'La Madeline' before the usual 'Computing Real Time Actions' popup occurs.

This is on my newer W11 box, with 32GB RAM and an 8GB NVida RTX 3060 Ti.

I've tried it on my older, and _much_ slower, 16GB W10 box and (once loaded) it appears to work! And this has an older 4GB AMD R9 370 GPU to boot! Very odd! I'd expect it to choke on the W10 box and not the W11 box.

I haven't had a CTD issue with CMBN scenarios before, other large and huge scenarios work as they should, anyone else having issues with this scenario?

As a followup, I found the the error being reported was 0xc0000005 - an access violation, memory I presume.

I reduced the number of planned moved for the first turn, only moving a single squad and doing some pre-planned mortar fire. I also turned off the trees and focused the camera on a single unit, reducing the screen image.

So far, I've managed to get past the first turn.

3 hours ago, OldSarge said:

anyone else having issues with this scenario

I was (and still am to a degree) testing this one.  Hardware wise I'm on an i7 13700 processor, RTX4060, 16GB RAM so not that different to you.

There were some CTD issues (mine and others), in my case when I issued very detailed first turn orders. I got around it by just issuing basic 'unit orders' on the first turn, so a similar approach to yours.

If you're past that and still running I think you might be okay.

49 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

I was (and still am to a degree) testing this one.  Hardware wise I'm on an i7 13700 processor, RTX4060, 16GB RAM so not that different to you.

There were some CTD issues (mine and others), in my case when I issued very detailed first turn orders. I got around it by just issuing basic 'unit orders' on the first turn, so a similar approach to yours.

If you're past that and still running I think you might be okay.

It looks like you're right with it being related to the first turn. Since getting past the first turn, I've been able to make more detailed moves with the full battalion.

I have the same processor as you and, outside of the OpenGL support, the GPU isn't too relevant for CM. So I guess we can confirm that the first turn should be a 'light' turn for this scenario for anyone having CTD issues.

I'm still amazed the old W10 box didn't have a problem with the scenario - outside the sluggish perfromance. M$ probably changed how memory management happens in W11.

Regards

The only thing I can think of is the very large amount of fortifications that are on the map for the Germans. Same for the "Uncle Red" scenario that uses the same map. For the first minute, simple orders or just setting off the off map support for the first minutes always seemed to do the trick. Personally, I never ran into the issue when designing and playing it back myself.

The map is not the largest nor more complicated terrain wise (most of it is water!), while the number of units is about a battalion a piece. This leaves the fortifications as the only variable. I have no idea why these would be such a resource hog in the first few seconds of processing/loading up the first combat given they just sit there. But I'm not a programmer. :P 

@BFCElvis - FYI.

Edited by Ithikial_AU

Posted (edited)

It seems to be that first turn is the killer, once past that and the scenario is as fast/reponsive as any others of equivalent size.

In the FWIW department, I've done a fresh install of CMBN on my 'business' laptop. The first turn works fine there, if you can get used to a 17" screen. 🤣 It is also quite the lap warmer, the GPU was reporting in at a toasty 60C!!

It is running W10 pro, I7-8750H/16GB ram with a 6gb NVida GTX1060 GPU. Of course, this is a fresh install and only has minimal mods on it so can't rule out mods.

Edited by OldSarge

2 hours ago, OldSarge said:

if you can get used to a 17" screen

Playing on a 17" laptop here and have been for the last few years.  It's okay.

I'm in the realm of contact lenses for distance, they have to come out when I'm on the laptop.

1 hour ago, Vacillator said:

Playing on a 17" laptop here and have been for the last few years.  It's okay.

I'm in the realm of contact lenses for distance, they have to come out when I'm on the laptop.

I'm at the stage where I need my readers to be able to read any text smaller than 12pt. especially on the 17" screen. For CM, it only becomes an issue with reading info off the unit panel.