How Many Here Play with Mod Packs?

Just curious. With CMHQ and CCJ cranking out tweaked textures, I wonder how many are using the original game graphics, versus the aftermarket mods.

I still haven't seen the released graphics (finally delivered, but unavailable til tonight) but I'm sure they're good.

I imagine that when you PBEM, each guy sees the movie with his own graphics files loaded. This causing any problems?

I'm using the Mods too. They work great.

My guess is that they would slow down the game a bit (the replacement WAV files are bigger as are the BMPs). I'm running on a 600 Mhz Dell though, and didn't notice any speed difference.

Toad

Guest Madmatt

While the people that tested the MDMP have not reported any problems or slowdowns, there is a small amount of people that say they are getting some random crashes which may be related to the MDMP sound pack. To date I can see nothing evident but until I can get them to send me their errorlog.txt files from the game I can't say for certain what might be causing it.

No matter what system you are running, if your on a HUGE map with lots and lots of vehicles, the game WILL SLOW DOWN. Its a fact of life...How much it slows is dependant on what you are running under the hood.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 06-25-2000).]

My experience on a PII-400 with a 16M TNT1 video card and 128M RAM:

The full Mod Pack graphic set with the "high-resolution grass textures" (13 meg download) DID give my computer a slowdown, although still playable.

I switched to the Graphic Pack with the "low-res grass" (5.4 meg), and this seems to work OK without a slowdown. But I'll likely hit a slowdown again when a large smoke barrage hits the map also, like I would see with the VoT game of the Gold Demo. Ultimately, YMMV.

I've also installed the full sound pack (17 meg). The explosive sound I get now when exiting the game is...well....how do I state this?

OK, I'll state it this way. Madmatt, you SICK bastard, are you trying to FRY my computer speakers???!!!!!! tongue.gif

Just kidding, of course. The sounds definitely are nicer and more varied, and given a choice between graphics or sounds for the lower-end computers, I would personally advocate going with the sound pack.

Guest Madmatt

To clarify, ONLY the Hi-Res grass and Jagdpanther are larger textures. The other trees and such are roughly the same size just prettier.

The sounds are also not more than a few K here and there larger either. If you are really worried about frame rate then the sounds should be fine as would the graphics pack with either low-res grass or no new grass.

Madmatt...

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 06-25-2000).]

Couple of findings and suggestions on a great pack:

- I couldn't resist (too much time on my hands smile.gif)and tested the grass mod on the Gold Demo. While the high-res grass looks absolutely smooth and great, it makes judging altitude changes a lot more difficult. As the ReadMe.txt stated, the low-ress grass sort of enhances the ability to judge altitudes while still looking a lot better than the original.

- The scattered tree tile is superb! With the original tile I often had trouble mistaking it for a wood tile, and sometimes suffering the consequences!

- A small note: The sound of shellcasings falling on stone in the MG42 files, while a great touch, really get on my nerves when there is 'sustained' fire from several of them. The constant "tinkle tinkle" sound carries a long way and is way to prominent IMHO.

- Furthermore, I have a suggestion for the MDMP team regarding the sound mod. I've listened to every sound on my so-so speakers and found most explosions and main gun fires too taxing. Now, come CM I could manually pick every single sound file I do or don't want (well, I've already done that, really smile.gif), but it would be far easier if the partial sound mod zips were divided into, say, a 'voice part,' a 'small arms part,' an 'explosions part' and a vehicle/main gun part.' That way it would be even more customizable, especially since you offer partial downloads anyway (which is a really good thing!).

Keep up your great work, guys!

Juju

Guest Madmatt

As JuJu is now aware (I scawlded him in private email! wink.gif) the MDMP sounds are full release ONLY!

When you play them in the demo they play back at something like 1/2 speed so you will hear the tinkle tinkle of falling brass much LOUDER than you should.

Also be aware that sounds played back in-game and out sound much DIFFERENT from each other.

MDMP-2 will be much more refined and selectable in the sound/graphics download options...

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Guest Madmatt

One other comment about the new Hi-res Grass. Dan and I are aware of the loss of some ability to distinguish elevations. There may very well be another grass texture pack in the future. The grass is very much a work in progress...

I can redo the exit sound so it isn't so 'taxing' in the MDMP-2 wink.gif

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Madmat, your stuff rocks!

But, I noticed a slow-down. However I can't say its due to your mod.

After a while of playing the Market-Garden OP my computer started accessing the hard-drive every few seconds for a few seconds. This caused a pause every time it happend, very annoying. I save, reboot and play and all is well again for a while then it starts again.

I'm going to try to play without mods tonight to see if that helps, although, Im sure to miss the additions.

I have a PII 300 with 64meg and a 16meg Banshi card.

GreasyPig

slow I know, Has anyone else seen this??

Guest Madmatt

You may want to unistall Cm, defrag your harddrive and then re-install. I have not ever seen such behavior in CM.

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 06-26-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by therontmoore:

Quick question about using the mods?

In a PBEM game do both playings need the same mod as they do game version?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No! smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

As JuJu is now aware (I scawlded him in private email! wink.gif) the MDMP sounds are full release ONLY!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's right, you know... redface.gif