Steam keys via Slitherine and Steam installs question.

Apache

I have been using a MacBook previously with CM games but recently bought a new Windows laptop given the Mac is now 8-9 years old and there are a few other games I'd like to play that Macs won't, seems the new Apple Silicon with combined CPU/GPU is creating further problems on the ever problematic Mac gaming front.  As such I'm process of preparing to install all of my CM games on the new laptop.  At the moment I plan to go the Steam key route, getting the keys from Slitherine.  When obtaining Steam keys for purchases via the Slitherine site, do you need to input every key you have for a game or do you need to apply the version upgrade keys after you have downloaded and installed via Steam (or even, can you)?  As an example I have keys for the following

CMBN

CMBN Commonwealth Forces

CMBN upgrades 2, 3 & 4 (3 separate keys)

At the Slitherine site I tried to use all of the keys to retrieve corresponding Steam keys.  CMBN and Commowealth base worked, I got the Steam keys and have added the games to my library on Steam.  The upgrade keys did not work though and returned an error message along the lines of not being the correct keys for the game.  I haven't even got round to installing yet but how do I get the game from whatever base version Steam will download to v4 or is the version that Steam will download already v4?  Are the upgrade keys still needed for Steam installs and how do you use them given Steam keys are not available to them, install the game and then upgrade each install?  Not sure how the Steam / upgrade combination is supposed to work.

I also have a key for CMSF v1.21 retail upgrade which has given me the CMSF Steam key but I also have a BF key for NATO forces which, like the CMBN upgrade keys, doesn't work when I select CMSF 2 NATO.  Is there some version compatibility issue with NATO and CMSF 2?

I'm even wondering whether it will just be easier to download all the installers from BF again and patch them up but if Steam does it all in one stop that will be much easier.

As far as I'm aware, the Steam/Slitherine/Matrix installers will be version 4.x (latest patch). If you have gotten the Steam keys with the CMBN base game (v. 1.x) and the Commonwealth module, then you should be set to have CMBN 4.x with the Commonwealth module. The Upgrade license keys are not recognized since they aren't directly applicable to what Steam/Slitherine/Matrix have (no actual 'upgrade' installers - everything is 4.x). I'm not sure how all of the license keys worked in the backend between Battlefront and Slitherine/Matrix, but I believe you should be fine for CMBN + Commonwealth.

For CMSF, what is on offer at Slitherine/Matrix is actually CMSF2. If you only have CMSF1 license keys, then you will need to purchase a CMSF1 -> CMSF2 Upgrade (each of these will require a CMSF1 license key to work) and then you can follow the instructions to get the Steam license keys.

Thanks.  I had a feeling the Steam installs will all be v4.  I have used my CMSF keys (finding one that works) and got the Steam key for CMSF 2.  Bit stumped on NATO though.  I thought I'd bought that after CMSF 2 but might be wrong.  I'll have to see if there's a specific NATO upgrade I've missed, though I thought you upgraded the base games, not the forces add-ons.  I actually raised this as a support ticket as I wasn't sure this would be picked up here, there's much more detail in the support ticket so hopefully I'll get to the bottom of the NATO issue.

Edited by Apache