Mission Boston - Objective La Fiere - Expanded: Two new (minor) variants.

I have just posted two variants to the original 82nd Airborne campaign at FGM's Scenario Depot. Both variants correct errors in my original values for Refit, Repair, Resupply and Rest. In the original I had place the values under the wrong battle numbers, i.e. they were all shifted one entry lower in  the list. This has now been fixed and the values changed as well based on further analysis.

The version labelled v4RG, i.e. "Green" globally reduces rates of fire, casualties, spotting and reckless behaviour by reducing the values for Experrience, Motivation and Leadership more in line with the values proposed and  discussed on this forum, i.e. virtually all troop types Experience is now 'Green' with differences between types primarily depending on Motivation and Leadership.

Should be interesting.

Cheers,

4 hours ago, Erwin said:

What a shame.  Plz post links when you get the versions polished.  And be clear what old versions we can delete.  (Sometimes there are 4-5 versions of old scenarios or campaigns as the designer keeps changing them.)  But, thank you for keeping up on the improvements.

The two versions might be VERY different if all troops were changed to green.

@WimO did you test the impact on the whole campaign? Rushing the La Fière causeway with green troops might be... complicated!

5 hours ago, PEB14 said:

The two versions might be VERY different if all troops were changed to green.

That's the main reason I tend to keep versions.  But, some versions are designed to replace earlier ones and some are different enuff to be new scenarios.  It would be appreciated if the designer made it clear.

It has been suggested by others on this forum that Experience levels affect only rate of fire and accuracy and that setting these to Green for nearly all infantry regardless of real experience, yields more realistic ROF and accuracy.

Motivation affects willingness to stay put or move under enemy fire and thus this is the more important parameter for charging across the causeway when both sides are shooting less and less accurately. The players referenced above,  also suggest that any value higher than 'normal' yields behaviour that is significantly braver than normal higher than 'real normal' and even perhaps, that 'normal' is rather exceptional.

I have taken their comments at face value and used Motivation and leadership values to be the primary distinguishing factor between troop types.

And because this matter might be erroneous or at least debateable, I have created two separate revisions.

Have I tested the impact? No. Not going to. Just put it out there as an 'option', one of three if including the original.

42 minutes ago, WimO said:

It has been suggested by others on this forum that Experience levels affect only rate of fire and accuracy and that setting these to Green for nearly all infantry regardless of real experience, yields more realistic ROF and accuracy.

I thought than green troops were easier to hit when on the move and more easily pinned or demoralized ?

13 hours ago, WimO said:

It has been suggested by others on this forum that Experience levels affect only rate of fire and accuracy and that setting these to Green for nearly all infantry regardless of real experience, yields more realistic ROF and accuracy

Green troops with no soft factors applied should have a lower base moral than regulars for example. They are easier to pin and easier to break. Plus their accuracy is lower.

They tend to take longer to Spot something and probably are easier detected.

I dont know if it also affects the rate of fire. I only saw that Tank Crews are faster on the reload when more experienced but with infantry it might be not that impactful... I dont know.

The soft factors shift those base values in one direction or the other. So If you give them +2 morale they could probably hold their ground like standard regulars or even veterans on the morale side.

A -1 or -2 Green squad on the other hand might be even as low or lower than conscripts,making them in no way ideal for frontline assaults.

I had one oponent recently with such low quality troops. They often cowered, got panicked and fled with only light counter fire of mine.

Edited by Brille

7 hours ago, Brille said:

Green troops

Just thought I'd add that I recently played @WimO's KG Boehm to Le Rocher as US.  Part way through my PBEM opponent and I realised through a bit of discussion that all of my troops were green, while all of his were crack.  And for the next 150 turns or more, all my green troops tended to do was die or run away as soon as his turned up.  Even my relatively few tanks bogged and immobilised more often than not.  Not a pleasant experience for me, but I persevered (as you do).

Wim has however since revised these 'settings' (👍) so any future players will not feel my pain (or at least not as much of it).