How to use the SPW 251/16 Ausf, D (Flammpanzerwargen)

Hi

image.thumb.png.b1a1534e9272e5420b7b974bbc5d98a5.png

I have had the dubious pleasure to have been issued the Flammpanzerwaregn in a few scenarios.

They never fires a single burst - they could never get close enough ( as I understand it, the range is about 30m on each side). In the few instances the vehicle got close  to living ememies, they where allready surendering to the infantry.

I can only see a use of if, in, in some rare situation, it could get behind bunkers, even so - I think it would be very hard to keep alive long enough to get there.

Am I missing something on how to use  the Flammpnazerwargen?

Best regards

Morten

7 hours ago, 6plus1SMC said:

Hi

image.thumb.png.b1a1534e9272e5420b7b974bbc5d98a5.png

I have had the dubious pleasure to have been issued the Flammpanzerwaregn in a few scenarios.

They never fires a single burst - they could never get close enough ( as I understand it, the range is about 30m on each side). In the few instances the vehicle got close  to living ememies, they where allready surendering to the infantry.

I can only see a use of if, in, in some rare situation, it could get behind bunkers, even so - I think it would be very hard to keep alive long enough to get there.

Am I missing something on how to use  the Flammpnazerwargen?

IMO they are most useful for finishing off a suppressed OpFor and/or through a building wall (the flame will penetrate a solid wall).  You could use a tank for the same purpose but a flamethrower is very effective and will not harm friendly troops nearby.  So if you have stubborn OpFor in a position that won't break and run who are taking a long time to die suppress and burn will often work. I usually use the target briefly command. 

eTpzC1Bh.jpg

4cv3L3ch.jpg

And just because....:D

JhXMxRFh.jpg

Even better ................. a flamethrowing tank....

F3kHowrh.jpg

EoMYdHmh.jpg

The biggest problem is to actually get them in range. So you have to avoid any tanks or guns along the way or make sure they are eliminated beforehand. Even then there are anti tank rifles and, in the later stages, panzerfaust wielding soviet troopers that makes traversing difficult. 

So you should have over watching units close by to react. 

Suppress known or suspicious enemy locations with MG fire from other units before getting in with the flammwagen. Unsuppressed enemies will make short work on your halftrack gunners as soon as they pop out their heads at this range. 

In the limited instances that I used these vehicles, I did it in a kind of "drive by" fashion:

I rushed to the target destination (like 25m from the enemy line) and draw multiple "slow" movement way points along the area I want to spray. So let's say a line of forest or a line of buildings,always making sure that one side of the halftrack is facing the enemy. 

On each way point I then gave it a target or target briefly command, so it would shift the fire to another target on each way point,while still slowly on the move. 

I can post a screenshot later on to maybe make it more understandable. 

Never the less, once they finished a "spray run" they either disengage to their lines to avoid counter measures or they make a U turn and go for another run. 

After that your own infantry should have no trouble taking the burned ground as the enemy should be either dead or in a very bad mental state. 

Edited by Brille