knocked out vs. destroy

I was going to say it would matter in terms of recovery. Knocked out could be candidates for recovery and repair in a campaign while destroyed is a total write off. However, that only works if you can see the different statuses in game - for your own side. That I cannot remember.

Can you have tanks and vehicles that are listed as knocked out as well as destroyed on our side?

Dang I cannot check right now.

Well, I don't remember to have ever seen "knocked out" vehicles on my side, but it is very likely that I didn't pay attention to it before; moreover I didn't play thousand of games so my statistical data is quite low.

But your explanation makes a lot of sense; knocked out vehicles might very well be repaired in the frame of a campaign. And honestly I don't believe that only AI's or opponent's vehicles might be knocked out and not your own side's - I'm not aware of any occurence of such a distinction between "own" and "opponent" in the CM game mechanics.

I think this is a term carried over from CMx1 . As mentioned above, there is a difference between knocked out and destroyed, it has an impact in CMx1's campaign. But CMx2 doesn't reflect the difference. 

And yes, all the burning enemy vehicles in CMx2 are "knocked out". Guess that should be described as a fog of war?

I checked another of my games and, once again, all my vehicles are "destroyed" while my enemies are all "knocked out". It looks like in CMx2 the only difference is there: your vehicles get destroyed, while you knock out your opponent's…

• 4 weeks later...

Both your vehicles and enemy vehicles can be both knocked out and destroyed. Enemy vehicles all appearing to be knocked out is like how all enemy soldiers appear as wounded. It is part of the fog of war. When you get the battle end screen their true status will resolve and you will likely see that some of them are destroyed. As far as I know there is no difference in terms of game mechanics.

On 8/14/2023 at 10:17 PM, Centurian52 said:

Both your vehicles and enemy vehicles can be both knocked out and destroyed.

That is certainly untrue as I´ve never seen my own vehicles as "knocked out" or enemies as "destroyed". It is either one or the other.

But I agree that it makes no real difference in gameplay logic: The tank/vehicles is out of action and will add up to the AAR screen at the finish....end of story.

I don´t know the reason though to make such a difference. Maybe BFC wanted to implement another mechanic there that went finally overboard ? Or since CMx2 was always intended to play even Blue vs Blue or Red vs Red it is to distinguish each other (dead) forces ?

A similar topic by the way would be abandoned/destroyed heavy weapons. Either way they are lost and no way to reman them but still they make this distinction.

Edited by Brille