Tanks turret facing

I made a quick search but couldn't find any related topic so...

Is there a way to chose a tank's turret facing?

The "face" combat command changes the vehicle's facing... But there are many situations where you want to have the tank to face in one direction (like a road) and the turret in another (towards the enemy, by example...). Is there a way to perform this very basic tactical command?

Similarily, when you retreat and fire smoke with a vehicle, can you chose the direction towards which the smoke is fired?

Only way to do it is with a target arc (either normal or armor arc). 

For this I always use a 180°arc that goes over the map (so infinite distance), just to be sure. The turret will face the center of the arc so you have to estimate a bit. 

Pro tip: If you later in the turn need the tank to face in another/normal position you can either place a "face" command at the following way point (sets the turret in normal position) or set another arc. 

But be careful with arcs because any enemy unit that is outside of it is often completely ignored with fatal consequences. 

Regarding smoke: yes you can set the direction but it is sometimes a bit cumbersome but not much. 

Just place a face command in the direction you want to place the smoke, then order the "pop smoke" directly after. You will see that the blue "face" line will be taken over by the violet "pop smoke" line. But here comes the catch: if you now give the unit a move order afterwards, the facing of the smoke order will reset itself. You can reset it again, nor problem but one should keep this in mind if used. 

The best way however is to place move orders first and then go to the procedure as described.

You can order this on every way point you pass through while moving along. 

This comes specially in handy with tanks that have a smoke mortar or (on late german tanks) the "Nahverteidigungswaffe". 

I sometimes give them many  short wayoints, like 30 to 50m apart and on each way point they get a "pop smoke" order. They have many smoke bombs with them so they can practically lay out a smoke trail for following vehicles. :)

You can see this in this short video of mine:

Edited by Brille

6 minutes ago, PEB14 said:

Thank you. I wasn't aware of the target arce facing trick.

Frankly speaking the game should have a command for pointing the main gun. With the target arc there is a danger that you lose your AFV because the enemy is just outside your target arc. Believe me the arc is never big enough.

Edited by chuckdyke

5 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

Frankly speaking the game should have a command for pointing the main gun. With the target arc there is a danger that you lose your AFV because the enemy is just outside your target arc. Believe me the arc is never big enough.

I 100% agree with you. Turret facing is really a basic command for tanks that would require a dedicated and independant order.

For turret direction I recommend 180 degree arcs that are as large as possible to cover depth of map. This will get the tank gun pointed in direction you want while limiting chances of it not engaging outside the arc.

For troops in ambush again I use 180 degree or 360, but at a controlled depth of what range I want to open fire at. I use with HIDE command most of time.

For recon, or troops want to hold fire to avoid engaging I use tiny depth arc 180 degree.