Screen goes white when there's an explosion in game, we like explosions in our CM games.

I think we've seen this before.  It's down to the AMD graphics drivers, which I think you can roll back to ones that don't do it.  I can't say much more as I'm Nvidia. 

For example,

and other problems:

Edited by Vacillator

• 1 month later...

Just for those of us a bit slower than the others, I figured I would add my brief experience with the white flashbangs. I was able to get it fixed.

I don't know how long it's been since I last played Combat Mission, perhaps a few months. I've been having odd issues with my AMD graphics card for a bit now. Odd instances in other games. I've checked... often... my drivers through the windows device manager in the control panel, and it would always tell me everything was up to date. It wasn't until I tried to access my AMD software (right click on the desktop and it should come up in the drop down menu, in my case it comes up as AMD Software: Adrenaline Edition) that I realized something was really wrong. I received an error message "Windows Update May Have Automatically Replaced Your AMD Driver". 

I'll admit it took me quite a bit of work to get my AMD drivers back running the show. Most articles you'll see online tell you to simply roll back your driver in order to get it working again (I would imagine there might be a few steps in addition to that, but that's the general gist of it). I did not have this option, which led me down a rabbit hole of attempting to figure out which AMD driver my laptop came with, and attempting to download that particular one (I have an Acer Swift 3). 

Long story short, I was unable to figure it out on my own. This is where I diverged a bit from most of the information that I had been reading up until this point. I went to the following website: https://www.amd.com/en/support. I simply clicked on the button "download windows drivers". After running the program, I was able to right click on my desktop and open the AMD software. From their home screen I was able to see that my driver did need updating and once it was installed the white flashes from explosions issue for CM went away. 

----

In my instance windows was telling me my graphics card was up-to-date. I think it was looking at the generic one that allows you to setup windows when you first purchase the laptop. It appears to be an issue from when windows went through a recent update. At any rate, once AMD's software was running, it was able to tell me that the driver was in fact out of date and then update it for me. 

I really hope this helps someone out there, it was a bit frustrating doing the troubleshooting but once I found the website linked above it was practically a five minute job.