AP at tanks in forests

I have been trying to kill a MkIV in a forest for a few turns now and I have had 3 rounds (75mm and 76mm AP) on target that have all mysteriously detonated a meter in front of the tank in mid air. I can guess a branch is being simulated but 3 rounds in the exact same spot? Has anyone seen this before or could comment on what is happening? Photos of one of the detonations are attached

Edited by AndrewO

Trees detonating shells is something you'll find regularly. I managed to kill my own troops when firing with a tank through a lightly wooded area where they were hiding…

But that was HE and I agree with @Artkin that you're out of luck as 75mm + AP shells shouldn't be detonated by the wood of a tree…

Yeah this is a thing you'll notice from time to time when fighting in woods or if trees cross your line of fire. 

Usually the tac ai switches it's aim a bit if multiple hits don't do the job but sometimes this won't work as well. 

You can either keep shooting in hope one shot gets through or destroys the blocking tree or you  just can try another angle to the target. 

The bigger the tank Canon/the round the better a tree gets destroyed by it. I've seen Is2 destroying one tree with one hit (AP). 

You can also put some big arty in the woods if you have any, to make it less dense and create better shooting lines. 

This however would be more of a desperate solution. 

17 minutes ago, PEB14 said:

You mean you can destroy trees? Interesting, I actually never have seen it (or more likely never paid attention). How is the result to be seen, as there is no "dead tree" tile?

I can show you some pictures of an ongoing CMBS match of mine with a good harvested part of woods due to constant fire of 3 to 4 Bradley's. :D

They don't even leave a trunk once they are gone so one could easily miss it if you are not on low level with the camera. 

Regarding destroying trees (and bocage) in CMBN.

Both type of bocage and trees can be destroyed in CMBN. But it takes a LOT of firepower for a long time. What is even more surprising is that bocage can even be shot away with HMG fire. However, I am talking about six Shermans hosing down a single position for at least 15 minutes plus HE thrown into the mix. Trees will generally turn into leafless skeletons first and again it takes really long. It is not worth planning to do any of these things. Just accept them as incidental if they happen to occur.

I know it's time consuming, but before playing a Scenario I generally go through the whole map and reduce all Trees in a Forest/Wood tile to only have one tree (instead of multiple) while maintaining appropriate ground cover.

I also use trees with taller trunks and higher foliage, instead of ones with low hanging foliage. 

Both of the above seems to help reduce the possibility of having unrealistic Tree Detonation happening all the time as enemy tank has less trees to hide behind.

Downside...Enemy (and you) might see further into woods, have less concealment, and it doesn't look as realistic (but I can live with these).

Edited by JoMac