Feature Request for all CM titles

First of all I dont even know if this is POSSIBLE.  However, it occurred to me playing just now, that this has been an ongoing problem since I first played CM:A ( I missed SF 1 until it was 'fixed'.  I got burnt out from 99-03 on BO and BB, missed AK, saw initial SF reaction and demo was horrified, and left.  Came back in time for CM:A to be out and CM:SF to be fixed heavily patched but moreover CMBN on the horizon)

Tangent aside - it occured to me - I play at Ironman, but often theres locations on the map that... are featureless or points of interest.  I dont want anything new like weapons or anything, I dont know if this is even possible, or if itd be too much work, but would there be a way to make a marker viewable to you only like just a 'pin on the map' as it were?  like you could go to the options where briefing etc is, have a button with a paintbrush icon, and click it, a little window like the arty window wud appear ( key point is none of this would alter your FOV or unselect your unit) and you would maybe have like a ! sign, ? sign, and if we want fancy take the generic inf icons, tank. etc and have them there.  Finally a trashbin icon.  These 'markers' could be turned on and off like onjectives, but would serve the same as what a commander with a pen or pencil would have from ww2 to tablets now.  Itd REALLY help me, especially for like things like area fire, when Im giving a tank like move reverse move reverse with target briefly on each waypoint with pauses, in ironman or elite IIRC everytime I sellect a unit I only see what they see.  thats fine, I like it, but I dont like that often I have to somehow find some trick to figure out how to area target some enemy unit for the second waypoint, then third, etc.  x3 wen said units are in featureless terrain, or woods, or whatever.

Theres the added bennie of just usefulness in general.   yes you get 'contacts' but CM is kind ambiguous as to if youre the CO or what exactly often, and if you go just by unit reported contacts those fade.  Whereas IRL any commander who had a unit hear tanks rumbling around on the Russian side or whatever or heard infantry noises, theyd note and mark that, not 'forget about it' if it goes quiet for 15 min.  Im old and not the brightest, so I dont remember everything like some of youse, so itd really help me especially in these larger battles, to be able to notate even like just a exclamation mark or question mark, so I dont forget that 'hey your men had sound or other contacts here'

1 hour ago, IanL said:

I think you are asking to annotate the map and have those marks show up in the 3D world some how.

Yeah that would be awesome.

yes thank you for summarizing that, Im not good at that. Yes itd realllllllly help me

But again, Cmx1 to  cmx2 was 7 years. Cmx2 to --- ? is almost 17 years. BFC please I love you guys, dont die on this hill just churning out CMx2 stuff.  Its fine for the old heads but the new gamers... even ones who I got to like ur games, they all... were constantly bitching about the graphics. And the fact is graphics DO MATTER.  And  plus the engines just ancient at this point

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD JUST STOP AND MAKE CMX3. MY OPINION ONLY, BUT F EXPANSIONS TO ANYTHING ELSE, ANY NEW TITLES, CMX3, THATS THE FUTURE.

Anything else you'll grow more and more niche until this dies

Edited by Sublime

16 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

😳

I know I sound crazy. I care about the franchise and maybe you guys dont see it but I do, constantly trying to turn younger gamers onto this, half who are not amateurs by any means (like fly dcs constantly, etc not war thunder types) - half immediately nope out because its A 2006 ENGINE AND YOU CAN TELL..

And its NOT just graphics, there are some glaring issues for example that show up in MOUT

I know this wont change **** - theyll just churn out CMx2 titles until it dies but god I wish I was wrong

Edited by Sublime

2 hours ago, Sublime said:

I know I sound crazy. I care about the franchise and maybe you guys dont see it but I do, constantly trying to turn younger gamers onto this, half who are not amateurs by any means (like fly dcs constantly, etc not war thunder types) - half immediately nope out because its A 2006 ENGINE AND YOU CAN TELL..

And its NOT just graphics, there are some glaring issues for example that show up in MOUT

I know this wont change **** - theyll just churn out CMx2 titles until it dies but god I wish I was wrong

Just kidding, Sublime. It's your opinion and I respect that.

But BFC is working on CMx3, so in the meantime producing more modules for CMx2 sounds like good idea to me. I'm still in love with how CMx2 looks and feels, but that's me. I'm conservative and old fashioned. 🙂 And turning 60 this Summer...For me CM will always be a boy's dream come true.

Edited by Aragorn2002

53 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

But BFC is working on CMx3

Hello,

I read from BFC that: There was talk last year of an Engine 5 Upgrade designed to improve game performance free of charge.  This is still planned, but it did get caught up in the PBEM/Tournament development headaches. So if I understand correctly, Engine 5 is for CMx2?

And CMx3 is supposed to have a whole new engine? In terms of bold timeline, I guess that we will have to wait for a couple of years? Like Sublime and as a new player I would prefer that, after engine 5, BFC prioritizes on CMx3 rather than modules for CMx2.

1 hour ago, Simicro said:

Hello,

I read from BFC that: There was talk last year of an Engine 5 Upgrade designed to improve game performance free of charge.  This is still planned, but it did get caught up in the PBEM/Tournament development headaches. So if I understand correctly, Engine 5 is for CMx2?

And CMx3 is supposed to have a whole new engine? In terms of bold timeline, I guess that we will have to wait for a couple of years? Like Sublime and as a new player I would prefer that, after engine 5, BFC prioritizes on CMx3 rather than modules for CMx2.

Knowing BFC they will work on both. The chimney has to smoke, you know.

Correct. Engine 5 is for CM2 (note Steve switched to using CM1, CM2 instead of CMx1, CMx2)

And CMx3 is supposed to have a whole new engine?

Correct. No details have been given but Steve has alluded that CM3 is planned.

In terms of bold timeline, I guess that we will have to wait for a couple of years? Like Sublime and as a new player I would prefer that, after engine 5, BFC prioritizes on CMx3 rather than modules for CMx2.

But the personnel involvement in engine 5 / CM3 work and modules development is not plug and play back and forth. So, expect something other than what your prefer :D

20 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Just kidding, Sublime. It's your opinion and I respect that.

But BFC is working on CMx3, so in the meantime producing more modules for CMx2 sounds like good idea to me. I'm still in love with how CMx2 looks and feels, but that's me. I'm conservative and old fashioned. 🙂 And turning 60 this Summer...For me CM will always be a boy's dream come true.

CMx3 is confirmed? remember Ive been gone years.  If they are making it then yes Id like modules and them to finish the eastern front.

PS Im the opposite of conservative or old fashioned, as Im sure you've seen watching me half my life on this forum make an *** out of my self

Edited by Sublime

16 hours ago, Simicro said:

Thanks Aragorn2002 and IanL. Me too I prefer to write CM1 and CM2 instead of CMx1 and CMx2. Ok I get it, what I'll do is just play the current game and forget about CM3 which will not arrive anytime soon!

Wow no thanks for me? *sob*  I guess you aint down with OPP; er OP

Edited by Sublime

19 hours ago, Simicro said:

Hello,

Id HEAVILY suspect the engine 5 upgrade is almost 100% for the current titles, and will include featurettes and stuff.

But none of this changes the fact this is a 2006 engine. Heavily upgraded sure, but after a certain point youre still left with lipstick and a pig. Im not saying CM is a pig yet... but I can hear the swine outside

4 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Id HEAVILY suspect the engine 5 upgrade is almost 100% for the current titles

That's my understanding too. But who knows, it is also possible that BFC re-uses part of engine 5 for CM3.

Edited by Simicro

Just now, Simicro said:

That's my understanding too. But who knows, it is also possible that BFC re-use part of engine 5 for CM3.

Nah man heres my reasoning - the phrase 'engine 5'

Also CM1 to 2 was totally different. they werent interchangeable.  indeed the first one didnt even actually show every soldier!  (like 12 men would be shown as 3, when 4 lost 2, etc) very immersion breaking for me at the time, though of course a ton of the older heads who at the time had grown up on table top were like 'youre spoiled'

No, not to seem a know it all, but watching them release CM content since 1999 this is a CM2 upgrade.  'Free of charge' Cm3? LOL Also, trust me, theyll blow this site the fck up when CM3 is close with all sorts of screens, aars, a new sub forum etc

4 hours ago, Sublime said:

you really are old fashioned! i trust my dog. thats about it

Yep. And given the alternative I prefer to keep to keep it that way. But seriously, BFC has been given us great games for more than 25 years now. So a little trust is in order, I think. I doubt whether complicated wargames such as CM appeal to young people. Once they're getting older they will realize CM is unique. Hell, perhaps they will even start to read good books about warfare. 😉

Edited by Aragorn2002

5 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Yep. And given the alternative I prefer to keep to keep it that way. But seriously, BFC has been given us great games for more than 25 years now. So a little trust is in order, I think. I doubt whether complicated wargames such as CM appeal to young people. Once they're getting older they will realize CM is unique. Hell, perhaps they will even start to read good books about warfare. 😉

Trust me the complicated war games DO appeal to the younger crowd just as much as when you were a teen or I was.

I met people on the GHPC discord and were shocked to find they were 14 year olds.. Maybe not as much knowledge but pretty advanced, and eager to learn.  But the graphics DO matter to these kids, and I dont blame them,  I mean CM is starting to see potential competition arising and the engine was showing its age to me even years ago.

But TRUST ME that young kids still do, and always will like military stuff.  Its like a drug addiction.  They play fortnight then war thunder next thing you know you have me barking orders at them in DCS over the radio.. IDK if youre familiar but some of the DCS modules are insanely complex and difficult to learn let alone master.  for example the F14, and HIND are good examples.  I will say, I have noted the younger crowd have more trouble in DCS flyign the analogue stuff, if given the option theyll take that stupid F18 over my beloved 14 because they cant handle not having a helmet mounted hud, super duper modernized hud etc. 

Though I havent flown in DCS in years. When that F4 Phantom comes out.. I hope my track IR still works lol  I mean not only is it iconic as hell but my father was a F4 WSO/EWO for years in the 70s.

Edited by Sublime

1 hour ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I see. Well, you know what you"re talking about. Less sure of myself, so okay, you could be right. But I still think CM can endure another couple of years, until the new engine is ready. Hopefully we will all live to see that day.

Im sure it'll endure, For many years. people STILL play cm1! But I dont want to see this become more and more niche and isolated.

10 years ago, CM was getting articles in online gaming 'mags' and if you brought it up ppl usually knew what you meant.   Now I normally get the equivalent of a real life blank stare