CMBS or CMSF2?

Hello mates,

I have CMBN and I am considering a modern warfare title. Can I have your comments and advices on the following rationale?

First I'm a new player and I like small battles on small/medium maps with a limited number of units: a few squads, a couple of AFV but no more. So I'm definitely not at the battalion level. And ideally I prefer 30 min scenarios, and if not available then 1 hour mission maximum, playable within an evening.

I have discarded 2 games even if I like their themes:

- CMA because it uses Game Engine 0

- CMCW because it is not geared towards beginners: no tutorial campaigns, no tutorial in the game manual (only an Encyclopedia), rather big battles

So I have on my shortlist : CMBS and CMFS2.

Both have tutorial campaigns and sections in the game manual. I am equally interested in both themes but I am leaning more towards CMFS2 because it seems that it has more small battles?

Thanks for your comments and advices.

Edited by Simicro

I have both and haven't regretted buying them.
Still I would buy CMSF2 including all modules first. The Big Bundle seems to be 115$ right now.
You get tons of interesting gear and many very good scenarios. Can't remember how many happen on small maps, but there are more mid or large size scenarios than small scenarios for both games.

Battlefront also has special deal for Big Bundle1 now which includes CMSF2, Black Sea and Cold War for 144$.
That's the best value if you like modern battles. Test the demo before buying.

Edited by SlowMotion

Having read your post, I think Shock Force 2 might be the better choice. Black Sea is harder, not that you cannot handle it. But SF2 has much more content, including all SF1 stuff which carries over. The chance of finding scenarios and campaigns that suit you is higher with Shock Force.

The asymmetrical nature of the forces within SF2 does make it a little on the easy side in many missions. But it's still a good Combat Mission title with a boatload of content available.

I have both and they're both excellent for different reasons. Congratulations on purchasing SF2, plenty of content, Coming from CMBN, you probably already know about 37mm's ( = Ki OB) All In One package, he has one for SF2 as well, IIRC it includes many SF1 scenarios. A good place to start.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/izmk6muctniv5/Combat_Mission