Very long time to get off map artillery support

in CMFB, I am using a MG zug leader team (no FO available) to request off map 81 mm support. It has a clear LOS (light blue) to each end of the targeted area (line target. It also has full access to the arty with green dots next to each mortar module.

I noticed it takes 4-5 turns to get past the spotting phase. I am currently playing a scenario where its been almost 10 minutes since the request was done, and out of 100 rounds assigned to each mortar (2 were selected for a line target), 7 rounds have already been consumed and they are still spotting, past the initial 8 minutes delay mentioned in the mortar box when requesting support.

Am I missing sthg here?

The key to calling in off map fire support promptly is to make sure you have good LOS, not only on the target but also the surrounding area. I suspect what is happening is that your HQ has LOS to the target but not to where the spotting rounds are falling, so they can't communicate that information back to the mortar guys, to correct their firing. Try moving the HQ to a better position where it has more complete LOS.

3 hours ago, Hilts said:

The key to calling in off map fire support promptly is to make sure you have good LOS, not only on the target but also the surrounding area. I suspect what is happening is that your HQ has LOS to the target but not to where the spotting rounds are falling, so they can't communicate that information back to the mortar guys, to correct their firing. Try moving the HQ to a better position where it has more complete LOS.

I concur. If the spotter cannot see the spotting rounds, there will be increased delay time. Variables include, difficulty setting and in the higher settings time to FFE also depends on intact C2, position in the C2 of the person calling for fire, and whether or not they are a FOO (or vorwartsbeobachter)

On 4/8/2023 at 2:18 PM, WimO said:

Variables include, difficulty setting and in the higher settings time to FFE also depends on intact C2, position in the C2 of the person calling for fire, and whether or not they are a FOO (or vorwartsbeobachter)

Sorry for butting in, but it actually only depends on the experience of the unit calling for fire, and whether it's an FFO or not. Intact C2, and position in C2 do not come into play for off-map assets.

For on-map assets, intact C2 is necessary, but again, it doesn't matter if it's a lowly squad HQ, mortar section HQ or a battalion commander calling in fire. Call times are the same.

• 2 weeks later...

In the case mentioned, its not a forward observer yet theres a green dot next to the mortar battery when the arty menu is pulled. Doesnt this mean that the calling unit, even their initial job is different, is good at calling mortars?

i got a dimilar case in the same game where a good order non forward obs was calling offboard mortar arty and had full green LOS to the selected area. The mortars used at least 5 min for the spotting round phase. When the FFE finally came it was almost too late.

if one wants to have a look at the German side in the Hot in Hatten scenario, u will notice that quite a bit of arty (81mm, later 150) come w/o any forward observer. So what is the criteria to choose one between the zug leaders, company leaders or HQ leaders if all get a green dot for the mortars (and a yellow rectangle for the 150 Haubitze)?