Greatest Generation: Greatest Attribute

I live in Vancouver, Washington. I just got back from the 11th Gen. George C. Marshall Annual Lecture. This years speaker was Tom Brokaw and about half of the peopled profiled in his book were honored guests. It was a big whoop de do, The Wash. Gov., Sen Mark Hatfield etc. As I sat next to my father, who landed at Normandy, I heard snatches of converstaion of other vetran's Iwo Jima and Okinowa, Italy snd Normandy and Euope I was struck by a couple of points that Mr. Brokaw made and how they may apply to us here on the forum and other CM places.

He was asked about that generations's greatest attribute. What he said was that he thought it was it's ability to put aside the differences, the variations and things that divide us and pull together toward the things that unites us. Be it victory in war, or a better vision for their children. They also were ordinary people that did extra-ordinary things. Yet in returning from the war they didn't strut about what they accomplished, rather they went back to homes, jobs, school to carry on about their lives. This ability to be the "we" gneration can be cotrasted to the development of the "me" generation.

So what does this have to do with CM? For the most part we are not of that generation. We "play" at war, are fascinated, debate it endlessly. Some of us have fought in later wars, yet not as a genearation of common committment. As I travel through this forum as a sometimes poster and other CM related forums, I have been distressed at the lack of civility, the vituperation and discord in "flames" that we see from time to time.Frankly for many of us I suspect it is distressing and tiresome. Some threads of late have been horrid in their mendacity and sillines

So if we are going to emulate this greatest of generationas at playing what they lived, let us strive to find the common ground in our love of Combat Mission, "The Game" Because that is what it is, only a game. One I love certainly but some pespective here please. This does not mean that we have to agree uniformily, or avoid debate, but we can do better. We are very representative of putting ourselves first and formenst in wanting things our way, or calling attention to ourselves. Well if we desire to see our selves the heirs of our fathers, I suggest that we collectively have some changes to do.

So try to express your love of the game, of history or knowledge without the divisiness, find the thing that unites us, not reject that with which you disagree. Find the joy of comeradery of the shared expeience rather than gloating and setting your self above others.

Enough pontificating. I love this game, I love the dedication of the people who created it, I love the passion of others who play it. It is beyond my expectation but not hope that some how this post or others that others have said before will make a difference. I know that in looking at my father, now in his 70's that his opinion and respect matter to me. He and others were heroes because they found a way to strive together to make something greater than the sum of it's parts. Let's hold the same vision for Combat Mission.

I agree, and I especially agree with your assessment of the "Greatest Generation". This has special meaning for me right now as I've just learned that my father in law passed on yesterday.

He was, as most of his generation were, veterans of WW2. In his case he was with 6th Marines, 2nd Marine Division and was among the first wave to hit the beaches at Saipan. Then he went on to build, from nothing but his good name, a very fine ranch and farm in Montana.

Tom Brokaw has stated that we are losing this generation at the rate of 7000 a day. I've told my father in law, on numerous occasions, how proud I am of his service and how much it meant to me. I urge you all, if you see a veteran of that, or indeed of any, war, take a moment to just say thanks.

Joe

I agree wholeheartly. My Dad and his three brothers were WW II veterans and all miracleously survived the war. I would like to think that I have always felt closer to their generation than to my own. Of the four brothers, my Dad is the last one living and I really miss my uncles.

While obviously Mr Brokaw is about selling books to americans (nothing wrong with that) I would esxpand his appreciation and observations to other countries as well. Some of his comments certainly apply to my grandparents from england) and I assume to most other nations.

Certainly much has been written about the Russian generation of that time whose sacrfices are on an unimaginably larger scale than anything we might have endured in the west.

The german generation of that time also has to be admired for thier fortitude. From the terrible 30's , the rise of hitler and surviving ww2 they then proceeded to rebuild a shattered country while being hated almost universally by thier neighbours (for obvious reasons) ,they also endured the largest mass migration of the century as they were evicted from territories that they had previously lived in. From the ashes of WW2 they built the strongest economy in Europe

One thing that strikes me (and was alluded too in another post) was the sense of duty to causes bigger than oneself that semed to be common amongst all these peoples of the time. Today it does seem to me that the notion of "duty" to ones country in the general population has become at best a fanciful notion and at worst a joke. I am not sure how much of a good thing this was.

There is certainly a lot we can learn from that generation thats for sure, good and bad.

[This message has been edited by dumbo (edited 06-02-2000).]

[This message has been edited by dumbo (edited 06-02-2000).]