81mm mortar smoke out of range for direct fire command

I'm sure there must be a reason for this, but I can't think what it might be.  I have some on-board 81mm mortars (American) with WP rounds.
When I use the 'target smoke' command for direct fire, the cursor either says 'target is too close' or  'target out of range'.  I can't seem to get the mortar to find a target where it will actually fire the WP smoke round. 

Firing smoke commands for 81mm mortars works fine for indirect fire (i.e. where the mortar crew are given an order to fire via a spotter). 

Do you still have some he rounds left or have you already fired all of those? 

I remember that the game tells you weird stuff like that when the unit don't have any he rounds left. 

But you should be able to place the smoke target regardless. And as long as you are in the mortars limits (minimum/maximum distance) it should work properly too. 

6 hours ago, ravells said:

Ah, I'm out of HE rounds. Do you think that's it?  I think it's the weird stuff thing. I'll need to try it out with a mortar that still has some HE left to be sure. Thanks, Brille!

I was for sure able to fire smoke and WP shells with onboard, British light mortars (which were out of HE rounds) in one of my last games, and I haven't seen this issue.