Long 88mm lacking punch?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cbo:

While this is from Spielberger: "Panther..."

http://www.mobilixnet.dk/~mob75281/pic/diag/75mmKwK42velocity.jpg

Claus B

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am fascinated by this graph. A rough guess would be that the average velocity of the HE shell for the panther out to 1500 meters is 800 meters a second. Thats roughly a little less than 2 seconds flight time TO 1500 meters.

If it were a stugL24 firing, I would put the flight time at 4.25 seconds.

I am guesstimating these numbers but would like to make a valid point. High velocity in direct fire makes a BIG difference. The german L24 and L48 and L70 all fired the same HE shell and when DIRECT firing HIGH VELOCITY pays off. You CAN'T adjust fire till the shell lands and as the numbers show, a low velocity weapon is waiting while a high velocity weapon could have his sights already adjusted. Throw in the fact that the high velocity weapon is more accurate also and I rest my case.

Just how important SPLIT seconds can be is demonstrated in "IN DEADLY COMBAT" by Bidermann. He describes KOing soviet tanks and inspecting one that didnt burn out. He climbs inside and looks through the russian sights and sees his own AT gun possition. There was a shell in the red gun and the PAK gun blew away the soviet gunner before he could trigger the main weapon. A fraction of a second made the difference between life and death. The author seems to be KOing heavy soviet armor with a 37mm using some kind of tungsten round BTW. He also describes beating back determined soviet infantry attacks with the pak 37mm anti-personnel (not HE but grapeshot I suppose)rounds.

Lewis

PS I love this stuff

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lewis says:

"I am guesstimating these numbers but would like to make a valid point. High velocity in direct fire makes a BIG difference. The german L24 and L48 and L70 all fired the same HE shell and when DIRECT firing HIGH VELOCITY pays off. You CAN'T adjust fire till the shell lands and as the numbers show, a low velocity weapon is waiting while a high velocity weapon could have his sights already adjusted. Throw in the fact that the high velocity weapon is more accurate also and I rest my case."

Right on Lewis!

Many of us here have been saying things like this all along.

These high velocity rounds travel along a straighter path, get there faster, penetrate deeper, and thanks to range finders on Flak 88's and Zeiss gunnery optics and mostly smokless german powder, these rounds were MUCH more deadly accurate at long range (over 2000 meters) than they modeled in CM.

The round arrived at the target sooner, the German gunners could see it better, (great optics and smokless gun powder) so the rate of fire and the accuracy should both be modeled in CM to give these german high velocity rounds a much great chance to hit and higher rate of fire and deeper penetration ability than they now enjoy.

Just my opinions, as there are plenty of others here quoting research, stats and numbers.....

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Following are opinions (very abridged because of the size of this post) of members of the 66th and 67th Armored Regiments and 2nd Armored Division:

The consensus of opinion of all personnel in the 66th Armored Regiment is that the German tank and anti-tank weapons are far superior to the American in the following categories.

Superior Flotation.

Greater mobility. This is directly contrary to the popular opinion that the heavy tank is slow and cumbersome.

The German guns have a much higher muzzle velocity and no telltale flash. The resulting flat trajectory gives great penetration and is very accurate.

The 90-mm, although an improvement, is not as good as either the 75 or 88. If HVAP ammunition becomes available, it will improve the performance of both the 76-mm and 90-mm guns.

German tank sights are definitely superior to American sights. These, combined with the flat trajectory of the guns, give great accuracy.

German tanks have better sloped armor and a better silhouette than the American tanks.

The M24 tank has not been available long, but has created a very favorable impression.

The M4 has been proven inferior to the German Mark VI in Africa before the invasion of Sicily, 10 July 1943. "

-Brigadier General J. H. Collier, Commanding Combat Command "A"

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

The round arrived at the target sooner, the German gunners could see it better, (great optics and smokless gun powder) so the rate of fire and the accuracy should both be modeled in CM to give these german high velocity rounds a much great chance to hit and higher rate of fire and deeper penetration ability than they now enjoy.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was quoting HE but the argument can be made for AP of course. Compare AP flight times for a panther and a shereman 75mm at 1500 meters!!

A flat trajectory is more forgiving at range and allows hits where low velocity rounds would come up short or fly long.

I believe someone posted info from a french after-war evaluation of the panther gun and claimed that HE rounds could score a hit in about 4 rounds at 2000 meters. Thats scary shooting. Bet it would take a dozed rounds from a sherman and those dozen rounds would take alot longer.

Heres a factoid. The german 75mmL24 could max out a round to 6200 meters range. It took 23.5 seconds to get there.

Lewis

But tom, the greater accuracy of a high velocity gun is modelled in the game IIRC, please see page 66 of the manual. I am not sure if the relationship between ToF, RoF and accuracy is modelled but it is alluded to in a round about way so it may be.

It would be nice if we could keep discussions of gun accuracy/optics etc seperate from this discussion of armour penetration. This thread is confusing enough as it is without going off on a tangent, though thanks to John for his 'summing up' which was most appreciated. I have some comments and questions, his post is on page 8.

I think it is important to put the discussion in its context. Generally, as I see it a multitude of factors determine armour penetration. These factors have varying quantitative significance to the final outcome. On top of this is an overall statistical uncertainty. As currently implemented CM accounts for by far the most significant factors involved but not all.

How significant overall are the deviations and how significant for specific instances are the deviations?

Can the extent of the most significant deviations be accounted for by known ballistic effects?

Can these deviations be modelled readily?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>1). The US & Brit LF test plate was 240 - 250BHN which was the same BHN of the plate used on their tanks, which would have BOOSTED actual penetration results for all German ammunition.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't it actually decline if the projectile 'overmatches' the plate?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The formula can't distinguish between rounds with different nose shapes, or different hardness, and materials, nor does it predict the angle-dependant performance of armour piercing caps.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are extrapolating a little too much there. The formula may be the 'basis' for CMs calculations but at least some of the factors you cite are accounted for in some way. I may be wrong but the manual indicates so, as do previous discussions here. IIRC the differences in projectile quality are in some way incorporated.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon Fox:

I think it is important to put the discussion in its context. Generally, as I see it a multitude of factors determine armour penetration. These factors have varying quantitative significance to the final outcome. On top of this is an overall statistical uncertainty. As currently implemented CM accounts for by far the most significant factors involved but not all.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

How significant overall are the deviations and how significant for specific instances are the deviations?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good question's Tom as I realy don'y know the deviation examples that stuck out concerned guns over 75mm, Ie, KwK.43, 90mm,& 17lb which showed an inconsistancy with published performance data, you can see the ratio in Claus's post in the summery.

The 90mm APCR-T & 17lb were since adjusted closer to Hunnicuts 30^ data. The 90mm T-33 APCBC performance in CM compared to Hunnicutt's data is quite high.

Can the extent of the most significant deviations be accounted for by known ballistic effects?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would think so but leave the answer up to Paul etc. I compile data pretty good but get lost in the math all to easy.

Doesn't it actually decline if the projectile 'overmatches' the plate?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Overmatching means the target plate is thinner than the projectile diameter. Ie, the more the round overmatches the armor, the armor offers less protection vs obliquity of impact. Which increases penetration of overmatching projectiles.

German test plate at 300 BHN was around 10% more resistant to overmatching projectiles then US, UK plate @ 240 - 250 BHN, US & UK plate used in their AFVs matched their test plate. Below is an example of the diference, British results vs 250 BHN test plate:, German results vs 300 BHN test plate: in ( )'s

7.5 cm KwK.40 fireing Pzgr.39 APCBC @ 30^

500Yrds - 106mm (92mm)

8.8 cm KwK. 36 L/56 fireing Pzgr.39 APCBC @ 30^

500yrds - 124mm (103mm)

Soviet plate at 400 - 500BHN was very brittle due to its high hardness & tended to break up when hit repeatedly by overmatching projectiles. T-34's etc were very vulnerable to the 7.5cm L/48, 7.5cm L/70 & 8.8cm L/56 guns.

This is OT but it brings up diferent armor value science used by the difering countries as well in that both the Germans & Russians used critical angle critera in developing their armor plate Ie, the obliquity angle at which the armor material will defeat a KE penetrator at a specific impact velocity.

The US & UK critera was basicly range in relation to impact, Ie, in where the armor defeats the projectile, or the projectile defeats the armor, in otherwords how close the armor could get to an enemy tank or AT gun, before being holed.

You are extrapolating a little too much there. The formula may be the 'basis' for CMs calculations but at least some of the factors you cite are accounted for in some way. I may be wrong but the manual indicates so, as do previous discussions here. IIRC the differences in projectile quality are in some way incorporated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simon, I am not sure what effects the formula has on CMs penetration values Armor quality is covered on certian AFVs Ie, the PzKpfw IV J is rated at 95% as is the Whirblewind, the Panther Ausf G is rated at 85% the Tiger E late has no armor rateing & the Tiger II is rated at 90%.

The US M4 Sherman is rated at 85% (which is interesting in itself),while their is no rateing for the M4 76mm (w), M4 76mm Jumbo, M4 Easy 8, M24 Chafee, or M26 Pershing.

All I have been told when I questioned Charles assertion that the Wa Pruf LF data for the KwK.43 was incorrect, was to get the British 1950 report as it was the source & had the answers.

As you can see in the summery; Sopwiths formula had limitations; that effected the mathmatical formula especialy concerning obliquity of impact. & dealing with test plate results, as in the results on any steel tested above the baseline steel, produced deviations as high as 150 f/s in the results. As well as their was no provision for calulateing diferences in German face hardened armour vs AP projectiles or the AOI dependant APCBC performance, or penetrator material diferences etc. I have no idea how these areas not covered by the Report were modeled in CM.

Regards, John Waters

--------------

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world because they'd never expect it. " -Jack Handey

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 09-05-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>German test plate at 300 BHN was around 10% more resistant to overmatching

projectiles then US, UK plate @ 240 - 250 BHN, US & UK plate used in their AFVs matched their test plate.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is interesting John because I always understood precisely the opposite for normal impacts. BTW I am not sure that you can use different allied and german test figures to prove your point. You need to have data from the same test with the same gun against different BHN plates.

Overmatching projectiles are those for which the ratio of calibre to armour thickness is greater than one.

Accordingly I have always understood that for overmatching projectiles the resistance to normal impact decreases as the hardness of the armour increases (ie BHN increases). Furthermore this relationship is non-linear and resistance declines quite rapidly as hardness increases. Therefore German 300BHN plate should actually be less resistant to an overmatched projectile than US/UK 245BHN plate.

For example the US 57mm APC round defeats a 38mm 300BHN plate at 378m/s whereas it defeats an equivalent thickness 245BHN plate at 393m/s (overmatching ratio of about 1.5:1) (this was from a US source will have to dig it out when I can remember where from!).

Well the deviation can be immence. According to Jonas Zukas the difference measured in terms of ballistic limit penetration , the maximum difference can be ± 200 m/s striking velocity , but this only covers a small % of hits. What are these variations, well OTOH they are ...

Actual Muzzle velocity ± 50m/s

Actual plate hardness ± 25BHN

Actaul projectile hardness ± 25BHN

Actual YAW this can be ± 5°

Actual Plate thickness ? In the german case plates were stated thickness or over by 5mm. In the case of Cast armor the variation in actual cast thickness could be as much as ± 1cm in actual thickness [Pershing tank turret]

Flaws in the projectile or plate metallurgy

Individually these don't account for much but when all the ducks are in a row 1-2% of the time the difference could be ± 20-30% penetration value around a given mean data point.

You understand this is seperate from the criteria that John refers to but since the Russian value is 75% and the American value is 50% that suggest atleast a 5% difference for the same target plate hardness . If the values are 250-275BHN difference thats about 5% difference [from memory].

This is interesting John because I always understood precisely the opposite for normal impacts. BTW I am not sure that you can use different allied and german test figures to prove your point. You need to have data from the same test with the same gun against different BHN plates.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes Simon, the more the round overmatches the armor, the less protection the armor gives thru obliquity. This is interesting and brings up some interesting questions Ie, why are the effects of overmatching so diferent concerning resistance in German armor @ 300BHN compared to what one would expect from the overmatch definition?.

Was it becase of their use of hardening techniques? & what effect did the German use of Case Hardening & flame hardening their armor have vs overmatching projectiles.

The British BIOS report states that the German believed Flame Hardening had superior ballistic properties to Case hardening, and FH was used on all German plate up to 80mm. did this provide more protection per mm vs Overmatching, the general consensus has been yes, it did, but how much?. German WW2 plate is generaly considered 10% more resistant per mm then US & UK plate at all hardnesses why. Simon?.

Another example to both our points on overmatch effects, is Soviet armor @ 400 - 500 BHN was designed to defeat undermatching projectiles (37 - 50mm) as was the Shermans armor which was developed as proof vs the German 37mm PAK.

But when vs the 75L48 ammunition & above Soviet armor cracked on repeated hits with whole sections being blown out it offered no protection vs repeated hits, while the Sherman armor @ 240 - 250BHN under repeated penetrations vs overmatching projectiles didn't break up, & still offered follow up protection vs repeated impacts because of the lower plate hardness.

This also brings up the question of why high hardness steel(HHS)@ 270 - 300BHN if it is so vulnerable to overmatching is still used today in some MBTs and reportedly offers more KE resistance then say 250BHN armored steel.

The British results were used as an example Simon, to show difereing results with the same guns vs both countries diferent test plate standards & the results unintentionaly highlight overmatching as well. But compare the overmatching German penetration results vs the British results.

Each Country in WW2 tested captured guns vs their own test plates standards, instead of against their enemy's test plate standards. The US & UK test plate; used to test these captured guns was of lower quality material & BHN then German test plate, as well as that the measure of sucess criteria was much more leniant then the German standards.

It is very Interesting that the 57mm test was vs '300'BHN plate Simon, was it hardened plate or standard untreated?, pls find the source & post it or email it to me as Ill want to add it to my files.

Regards, John Waters

--------------

"die verdammte Jabos".

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 09-05-2000).]

Before I go on too much I need some clarifications.

By flame hardened do you mean face hardened (FH) which I beleive was flame and or later induction hardened?

I am pretty sure the results were for standard 300BHN RHA plate (ie not face hardened), I only wrote down the stuff for 245 and 300 BHN but IIRC a range of BHN values were tested.

Are all german test data for 300BHN FH plate? If so you are comparing apples and oranges. If you want to examine the effect of hardness on resistance to penetration for a variety of projectile calibres then you must reduce the variables to one. Therefore you must use either FH or RHA armour at all BHN not a mixture. Otherwise you are introducing the effects of the face hardening process.

Isn't it the case that FH armour is less resistant to penetration than RHA against capped projectiles? And that the converse is true for uncapped projectiles?

Face hardened plate is not the same as hardened plate , all sides used RHA with ranges from 240 - 380 BHN these all resisted well with the increasing plate hardness blunting the projectile tip hardness unless that was more than 1.5 times the target hardness.

Semi hardened plate is 400-480 BHN while hard steel is usually ~500-600 BHN.

Face hardened plate was 'hard steel' on the front face and RHA on the rear, which was achieved by heat treating the one side.

German test plate was , to my knowledge, 275 BHN plate but the tolerance on plate manufacture was ± 25 BHN so the plate is some times refered to as 250-300 BHN.

Before I go on too much I need some clarifications.

By flame hardened do you mean face hardened (FH) which I beleive was flame and or later induction hardened?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The BIOS report states that Flame Hardening was used on all plates 30 - 50mm thickness & on 60 & 80mm plates Ie, the Panthers nose was FH, as were all all machine gun mantlets, & ball mounts. Plates under 30mm were incapable of being Flame Hardened as distortions occured in all attempts on Flame Hardening with less then 30mm thickness as the thickness declined below 30mm the distortions became greater.

Flame hardening was chosen to replace Case Hardening, because it was cheaper, & more eficent for mass production,& had better 'ballistic qualities' then Case Hardening.

The only areas not FH on the plate was the plate edges where welding had to be done, it was found that welding attempts on FH plate tended to crack the plate. Not all plants could FH plates above 50mm Ie, Krupp had no facilities for Hardening plates above 50mm thickness.

Electrical Induction Hardening (IEH) was initialy an Kriegsmarine Project set up in 1937 in secret, Krupp never knew of the project or plants purpose nor knew of the LF tests. A plant was set up at Dortmund Hoerde, in 1937 & operational in 1938. A second IE hardening plant was set up by Deutsche Edelstahlwerke in Hanover.

The Dortmund Hoerde plant's purpose was to provide the Kriegsmarine with an alternative source of hard faced plates, to replace the carburised plates from Krupp only plates of 100 - 150mm thickness were EI hardened.

The Kriegsmarine shut down the Dortmund plant in 1942 - 1943. The Dortmund plant produced over 1000 tons of EIH plate, that was stated to be of comparible quality to Krupp plate of the same thickness. The interesting part is that none of the plate was ever used by the Kriegsmarine, as they had no need for it, & it all was used for live fire tests.

The Hanover plant produced IEH 30 - 50mm thickness plates for the PzKpfw. III & IV tanks, from 1942 on. with 100 hulls produced a week & 1000 tons of armor plate per week. For this 2000 tons of steel were used , with 1500 tons produced at the plant & 500 tons suplied from the Krefeld Works, till the factory was destroyed in a March 1945 bombing raid.

The plate harness depth was 10% of the thickness of the plate. An IE Hardened plate of 23mm was the equivelnt of 40mm RHA & IEH plates were considered superior in resistance to untreated RHA plates. As with FH the edges were left untreated for welding. The Hanover plant could not IEH plates above 50mm thickness due to lacking the equiptment needed.

I am pretty sure the results were for standard 300BHN RHA plate (ie not face hardened), I only wrote down the stuff for 245 and 300 BHN but IIRC a range of BHN values were tested.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would effect the results. All of the US live fire tests I have seen for WW2 used 240 - 250 BHN plate, vs their own ammunition (75 - 90mm) & vs German ammunition & as low as 220 BHN for small calibre (37mm) tests. Was this an wartime test or after war? if it was during the war it was an rare event.

Are all german test data for 300BHN FH plate? If so you are comparing apples and oranges. If you want to examine the effect of hardness on resistance to penetration for a variety of projectile calibres then you must reduce the variables to one. Therefore you must use either FH or RHA armour at all BHN not a mixture. Otherwise you are introducing the effects of the face hardening process.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most likely yes, Simon all the plate production plants LF tested vs FH plate, they had to to pass inspection so it stands to reason that the LF plate used by Wapruf was FH treated.

Heres the fun wink.gif part Simon, German test plate was of a higher standard then their production plate, hardness was generaly 250 - 300 BHN with the norm I have seen quoted 300BHN, can I say catagoricly that all the test plate was 300BHN no.

I know this Simon & thats the biggest problems in these discussions as I said earlier captured guns & ammunition were tested useing whatever country captured them's standard test plate.

Isn't it the case that FH armour is less resistant to penetration than RHA against capped projectiles? And that the converse is true for uncapped projectiles?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No its the oposite as I understand it, the face was hardened steel to an certian depth, which was backed up by the underlayer of RHA which increased resistance. Ie, 50mm plates were Flame Hardened to a depth of 3 - 5mms and It was also possible to increase the depth by pre heating the plate before the FH process.

The face hardness requirement which varied on the composition of the steel was 200 kilo (127 tons). per square mm(around 555BHN). This requirement could not be attained if the carbon content was below 40%.

Regards, John Waters

----------

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world because they'd never expect it. " -Jack Handey.

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 09-07-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dittohead:

Although not specifically related to the 88mm, I have a question concerning the US Tunsten round.

From the charts 88mm Pzgr 40 HVAP increases penetration say 25%. But US HVAP increases penetration almost 100%. Is this right and why such a big jump in US rounds?

Tony<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cause the tip to body diameter of the German AP 40 shot [except the 50mm ] are around 9:1 while the US rounds for the 90mm gun and others are 14:1 or more. This produces a greater penetration for the same mass Velocity and projectile length.This is also why they have worse slanted penetration.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dittohead:

Although not specifically related to the 88mm, I have a question concerning the US Tunsten round.

From the charts 88mm Pzgr 40 HVAP increases penetration say 25%. But US HVAP increases penetration almost 100%. Is this right and why such a big jump in US rounds?

Tony<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good question

also is the HVAP round the same a the tungsten round? is that the same round with different names?

anyone?

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Following are opinions (very abridged because of the size of this post) of members of the 66th and 67th Armored Regiments and 2nd Armored Division:

The consensus of opinion of all personnel in the 66th Armored Regiment is that the German tank and anti-tank weapons are far superior to the American in the following categories.

Superior Flotation.

Greater mobility. This is directly contrary to the popular opinion that the heavy tank is slow and cumbersome.

The German guns have a much higher muzzle velocity and no telltale flash. The resulting flat trajectory gives great penetration and is very accurate.

The 90-mm, although an improvement, is not as good as either the 75 or 88. If HVAP ammunition becomes available, it will improve the performance of both the 76-mm and 90-mm guns.

German tank sights are definitely superior to American sights. These, combined with the flat trajectory of the guns, give great accuracy.

German tanks have better sloped armor and a better silhouette than the American tanks.

The M24 tank has not been available long, but has created a very favorable impression.

The M4 has been proven inferior to the German Mark VI in Africa before the invasion of Sicily, 10 July 1943. "

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good question

also is the HVAP round the same a the tungsten round? is that the same round with different names?

anyone?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, APCR ammunition is also refered to as HVAP or Hyper Velocity Armor Piercing in many publications.

After WW2 the term changed with the later developments in KE ammunition to HVAPFSDS or Hyper Velocity Armor Peirceing Fin Stabilised Discarding Sabot, or HVAPFSDS-T. Some articles still refer modren to Soviet/Russian KE penetrators as HVAPFSDS.

Today the standard term for KE penetrators is APFSDS or Armor Peirceing Fin Stabilised Discarding Sabot. or APFSDS-T with the T denoting tungsten cored, while APFSDS-DU denotes depleted urainium cored.

Regards, John Waters

-----------

"die verdammte Jabos".

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 09-07-2000).]

Now I'm a little confused because John says the Germans tested against FH armour plate whereas Paul says it was RHA plate though you both agree generally about the hardness. Who is correct?

You are right John I don't think you can reasonably compare allied and german tests as a basis for deciding on the effect of face hardening. As Paul points out there is too much variability including the difference between 'test' quality ammo as used by the germans and 'captured' quality ammo as used by the allies (if testing captured weapons).

From what Paul says there seems to be substantial variation in armour hardness. So saying the Germans used 300BHN whereas the Allies (can you actually lump them together?) used 245BHN is confusing.

For example British testing of captured german vehicles shows this variability.

WO 185/118

"A survey of the plates on the Pz.Kw.VI with the portable hardness tester had shown that all the plates were of machineable quality. The hardness of the 26mm plates was in the range 298-343 Brinell which was harder than British plates of the same thickness namely 262-311 Brinell. The hardness of the plates in the range 60-102mm was 257-310 Brinell which was essentially the same as that of British plates of the same thickness."

Also WO 185/171 gives BHN data collected to June 1944

German

40mm 280-335

60mm 270-320

80mm 250-300

100mm 220-290

>100mm 215-250

British

40mm 262-302

60mm 255-293

80mm 248-277

100mm 240-269

>100mm 240-269

John, you seem to suggest that FH armour (ie German) is universally superior to RHA (ie Allied) but this is not the case. It was a deliberate design decision by the allies to use RHA because they felt it superior. Whether the Germans persisted with FH because they beleived the trade off in vulnerability to capped projectiles was worth it or bloody minded tradition is a moot point. Looking at the available data where both FH and RHA armour were tested in the same test it seems pretty clear that FH is inferior vs ballistically capped projectiles and superior vs older type AP. This also seems to be the consensus from what I have read.

So from WO 185/178

penetration in mm

6pdr APCBC at 30deg vs

MQ(RHA)

500yd 72

1000yd 64

1500yd 49

FH

500yd 97

1000yd 82

1500yd 64

17pdr APC at 30deg vs

MQ(RHA)

500yd 118

1000yd 110

1500yd 89

FH

500yd 135

1000yd 118

1500yd 91

Interestingly the data from US guns seems to suggest that their capped projectiles were substantially poorer quality than the British since there is little variation between RHA and FH.

Now I'm a little confused because John says the Germans tested against FH armour plate whereas Paul says it was RHA plate though you both agree generally about the hardness. Who is correct?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I based my conclusion on that Krupp who was the primary plate supplier used FH on all plates produced as did the other plants.

You are right John I don't think you can reasonably compare allied and german tests as a basis for deciding on the effect of face hardening. As Paul points out there is too much variability including the difference between 'test' quality ammo as used by the germans and 'captured' quality ammo as used by the allies (if testing captured weapons).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, its the same results that have come up in all the prior discussions I have been involved in. Had the countries known what the standard was we'd prolly have excelent comparison material.

From what Paul says there seems to be substantial variation in armour hardness. So saying the Germans used 300BHN whereas the Allies (can you actually lump them together?) used 245BHN is confusing.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The diference is that both the US & UK tested vs plates basicly the same BHN 240 - 250 & quality as the armor used in their AFVs, the Germans did not; their test plate was of a higher quality & higher BHN.

For example British testing of captured german vehicles shows this variability.

WO 185/118

"A survey of the plates on the Pz.Kw.VI with the portable hardness tester had shown that all the plates were of machineable quality. The hardness of the 26mm plates was in the range 298-343 Brinell which was harder than British plates of the same thickness namely 262-311 Brinell. The hardness of the plates in the range 60-102mm was 257-310 Brinell which was essentially the same as that of British plates of the same thickness."

Also WO 185/171 gives BHN data collected to June 1944

German

40mm 280-335

60mm 270-320

80mm 250-300

100mm 220-290

>100mm 215-250

British

40mm 262-302

60mm 255-293

80mm 248-277

100mm 240-269

>100mm 240-269

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simon the UK poldi test results on plate are generaly higher then the US Poldi results vs the same plate, Ie, the Watertown Arsenal reports on The T-34 1942 & KV1 vs the British report on the T-34 & KV1 come to mind. The WA report Poldi results are consitantly around 10% lower then the UK reports on the same plate.

This has been another long going discussion concerning the poldi inconsistancies, thats never been settled, as no one can figure out exactly how 2 groups testing the same plate came up with difering Poldi results.

John, you seem to suggest that FH armour (ie German) is universally superior to RHA (ie Allied) but this is not the case. It was a deliberate design decision by the allies to use RHA because they felt it superior. Whether the Germans persisted with FH because they beleived the trade off in vulnerability to capped projectiles was worth it or bloody minded tradition is a moot point. Looking at the available data where both FH and RHA armour were tested in the same test it seems pretty clear that FH is inferior vs ballistically capped projectiles and superior vs older type AP. This also seems to be the consensus from what I have read.

So from WO 185/178

penetration in mm

6pdr APCBC at 30deg vs

MQ(RHA)

500yd 72

1000yd 64

1500yd 49

FH

500yd 97

1000yd 82

1500yd 64

17pdr APC at 30deg vs

MQ(RHA)

500yd 118

1000yd 110

1500yd 89

FH

500yd 135

1000yd 118

1500yd 91

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simon, I'm not sugesting anything I gathered the data from the British BIOS report, & the interogation reports from it, concerning German metalurgists engineers, etc. The Germans considered it ballisticly superior to untreated RHA.

As it was layered over top of the RHA adding aditional protection vs KE penetrators to the RHA even if an KE round defeats the FH 3 - 5mm outer layer its still has to defeat the inner layer of RHA.

I have always been told German plate was consistantly more resistant then US & UK plate with BHN examples & the above etc, to back it up.

Ie, the FH vulnerability to APCBC was only vs the PzKpfw III & PzKpfw IV tanks vs the Tiger & Panther their was no pronounced vulberabilty to APCBC in fact they were basicly immune frontaly.

The British test data sugests that UK 17lb APCBC ammunition due to the superior performance of British APCBC vs FH treated plate should have had no problem defeating the Tiger & Panther's armor frontaly which wasn't the case in the feild, Or in British or US live fire tests with APCBC rounds.

Was this Live fire testing or calculated results? & what was the BHN & plate thickness used or calculated in the report.

Interestingly the data from US guns seems to suggest that their capped projectiles were substantially poorer quality than the British since there is little variation between RHA and FH.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting Simon, very interesting, this will require further study, great post Simon.

Regards, John Waters

------------------

Make way evil, I'm armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 09-08-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PzKpfw 1:

or APFSDS-T with the T denoting tungsten cored<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn´t the suffix T usually designate a projectile with tracer? I´ve seen it used that way on several occasions.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>This has been another long going discussion concerning the poldi inconsistancies, thats never been settled, as no one can figure out exactly how 2 groups testing the same plate came up with difering Poldi results.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But that's irrelevant to the data I presented which was from British testing of captured German tanks and their own. So it's the same group testing different armour not different groups testing the same armour. As long as the methods are internally consistent the comparison between the armour is valid.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>As it was layered over top of the RHA adding aditional protection vs KE penetrators to the RHA even if an KE round defeats the FH 3 - 5mm outer layer its still has to defeat the inner layer of RHA.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your view of FH is metallurgically simplistic. The Germans did try some armour which was laminated with high BHN armour applied over standard RHA (in fact some British reports record actual usage of this armour) but this is not FH. In fact the FH produces a gradient of hardness so that IIRC typically the top 10% is hardest with a subsequent gradient of hardness down to the basic hardness of the original plate. FH is good (as Paul says) for projectiles which are not so hard (old style AP) since they will shatter (with the exception for high angles of obliquity where it is poor). But for hard capped projectiles (with high quality caps ie not early US) it is not so good because it tends to undergo catastrophic failure.

These are the only web sources I have found but they seem pretty authoritative. http://www.warships1.com/W-Nathan/

Helge gave this link earlier in this thread http://www.wargamer.org/GvA/background/armourtypes4.html

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The Germans considered it ballisticly superior to untreated RHA.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only against certain projectile types.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The British test data sugests that UK 17lb APCBC ammunition due to the superior performance of British APCBC vs FH treated plate should have had no problem defeating the Tiger & Panther's armor frontaly which wasn't the case in the feild, Or in British or US live fire tests with APCBC rounds.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

? Well British live fire tests in Tunisia don't agree with you. First which plates on the Tiger were FH (not all were)? Second the drivers visor plate was penetrated by 6pdr AP at 700yds (thats 102mm @ 10deg) and the front lower hull by 17pdr MkI AP at 1600yds (thats 102mm @ 25deg) [from WO 185/118]. I don't think that the British were massively concerned about the performance of the 17pdr or even the 6pdr (since it was being superceded) against the Tiger frontally (they knew not to aim at the turret, the live fire tests don't even bother). Of much more concern to them was the Panther with it's highly sloped front hull. Of course they had a reasonable (though variable) supply of APDS for both weapons and British APDS was better than US HVAP.

Those tests were live, probably about 1943, other details will take some time to get.

But that's irrelevant to the data I presented which was from British testing of captured German tanks and their own. So it's the same group testing different armour not different groups testing the same armour. As long as the methods are internally consistent the comparison between the armour is valid.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh ok wink.gif. I just thought you'd be interested in their poldi results.

Your view of FH is metallurgically simplistic. The Germans did try some armour which was laminated with high BHN armour applied over standard RHA (in fact some British reports record actual usage of this armour) but this is not FH. In fact the FH produces a gradient of hardness so that IIRC typically the top 10% is hardest with a subsequent gradient of hardness down to the basic hardness of the original plate. FH is good (as Paul says) for projectiles which are not so hard (old style AP) since they will shatter (with the exception for high angles of obliquity where it is poor). But for hard capped projectiles (with high quality caps ie not early US) it is not so good because it tends to undergo catastrophic failure.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course my view is simplistic Simon, I have no degree in this wink.gif, & am going by what I have read been told etc, & how it was explained to me Ie, the simplest veiw, Ie we have a thin 3-5mm layer of hardened steel over the RHA, thats how it was explained to me Simon, they never mentioned a gradient etc.

The US & British reduced hardness in their armor & increased thickness to get a good resistance vs impacts of larger projectiles as ballistic tests had shown, their was an optimum hardness for each thickness, that provided maximum ballistic properties, vs penetration, spalling, shattering & cracking vs overmatching projectiles & deforming projectiles. With the 'optimum hardness' acting as an inverse function of thickness vs overmatching projectiles, at normal incidence of fire.

These are the only web sources I have found but they seem pretty authoritative. http://www.warships1.com/W-Nathan/

Helge gave this link earlier in this thread http://www.wargamer.org/GvA/background/armourtypes4.html

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dunno all I have is what the BIOS report which is the definative British report on the German armor industry , details on the difering processes of treating armor in the German Armor Industry.

? Well British live fire tests in Tunisia don't agree with you. First which plates on the Tiger were FH (not all were)? Second the drivers visor plate was penetrated by 6pdr AP at 700yds (thats 102mm @ 10deg) and the front lower hull by 17pdr MkI AP at 1600yds (thats 102mm @ 25deg) [from WO 185/118]. I don't think that the British were massively concerned about the performance of the 17pdr or even the 6pdr (since it was being superceded) against the Tiger frontally (they knew not to aim at the turret, the live fire tests don't even bother). Of much more concern to them was the Panther with it's highly sloped front hull. Of course they had a reasonable (though variable) supply of APDS for both weapons and British APDS was better than US HVAP.

Those tests were live, probably about 1943, other details will take some time to get.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simon, I didn't have time to finish the post last night was after 3AM, have to be up at 6:00, should have clarified it.

The reports on the Tiger LF data from Tunisia etc they were all published in Jentz's Germany's Tiger Tanks.

*From Report M6816A/4 No 1 30 October 1943 on Fireing Trial in Tunisia against Pz.Kpfw.VI "Tiger" from the Department of Tank design, armor branch. Their was also an earlier LF test on June 5th 1943 useing 75mm APCBC, 6lb AP, & 2lb AP all fired at 100yrds.

6Pdr APC results vs the Drivers Front plate 102mm @ 10^ @ 10^ were 2 defeats. 1 Strikeing at 2925 ft/s @ 650yrds & 1 strikeing at 2675 ft/s at 350yrds.

But their were various 6lb AP failures Ie,

Round 1 strikeing at 2356 ft/s forced a plug out. Round 6 strikeing at 2382 ft/s shattered causing only a smooth bulge. an Normal failure at 2315 ft/s & Shatter failure at 2620 ft/s @ 25^ for 6lb AP as well etc.

only 1 17lb A.P round strikeing at 2900 ft/s @ 25^ penetrated the 102mm Front Hull with it forceing out a plug before the shot shattered, it had a W/R limit of 1800 yrds vs the MQ plate rated @ 103mm.

As well as this :

"The shatter of the 6-pounder AP Shot against the 82mm plate all angles down to 5 degrees suggests that some surface hardening was present. The resistance of both plates to penetration appears considerably higher then that of British machineable quality armor. The W/R of the 82mm plate at 17.5 degrees was about 2020 ft/sec against American 75mm M61. A thickness of about 92mm of British armor would be expected to have this limit."

Anyway it goes on that the German 62mm plate was about equivelent to 82mm British plate etc. And it goes into the repeated failures & shattrerings of the British AP, & APC ammunition vs the Tigers armor, Ie:

"The British 6-pounder A.P. Shot, and A.P.C., as well as the 17-pounder A.P. Shot, all shattered when strikeing at angles of 25 and 30 degrees. The British were dissapointed, as the capped shot had been expected to defeat the 82mm plate at 30 degrees without shatter.

They expected the uncapped 6-pounder A.P. Shot to shatter against 82mm of homogenous armor at 30 degrees.

All of the plates, exept, the previously damaged port side superstructure, were determined to be equal or slightly better then British machineable quality I.T.80D plates when struck at normal and significantly better then British plate when struck at angle".

As we see British APC did not significantly effect the Tiger E's armor any more then the AP did, while the report's personel speculated that the armor was FH after the APC repeatedly shattered. And they had began the tests with the expectation that APC would easily defeat the Tiger's armor where it turned out the oposite, compared to the report data you posted comparing RHA vs FH test results performance of the plate.

I'm not even sure the Tiger armor was hardened as the BIOS report states 30 - 80mm plates only the only other option would be IEH & BIOS reports that the 100 - 150mm IEH plates were never used except in LF tests and that Hanover plant didn't have the ability to EIH plates over 50mm thickness.

Nor does it state any where that the armor was inferior to British plate ballisticly, vs APC projectiles, in fact if the Tigers armor if it was FH, was superior to British plate vs angle attacks, and APC & APCBC ballistic performance is angle dependant as well.

Your data appears to be from the British March 1945 D.T.D. Experimental Report A.T.No.252 Part II, concerning the 3rd set of fireing trials conducted from 16 - 22 March. And Simon the Tiger concerned the British enough that they conducted 3 extensive LF tests vs it, compared to how many on the Panther?.

I also question why you believe APDS was superior to APCR, as I understand it APDS had a longer penetration path then the blunter APCR.17lb APDS also had severe problems vs the Panthers glacis, because of the 55^ slope. & vs the Tiger's Visor plate as well Ie, from the British March 1945 D.T.D. Experimental Report A.T.No.252 Part II:

"17lb A.P.D.S. attack @ 41^ compound angle at striking velocities 3427 ft/s, Round 48 and 3602 ft/s, Round 49, resulted in a scoop & a cracked bulge, respectively. Holing of this plate could not be expected above 800 yards".

Again all this comparison data, raises more questions, great post Simon.

*See: Jentz Thomas L. Germany's Tiger Tanks pp. 15, - 17.

Regards, John Waters

------------------

"Make way evil, I'm armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!!".

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 09-09-2000).]

Yes.....

But is the Long 88 as modeled in CM lacking "punch" or not?

Lots of stats and Data and facts and figures here...

Have we (ok mostly you guys) not proven by now that there are some discrepencies in the way CM models German armour and German Main weapon penetration capability of the long fast 88?

This dicussion is Still Fascinating

I wonder if Steve and Charles are learning any thing new?

smile.gif

Keep up the great reseach !

Thanks

-tom w

------------------

Superior Flotation.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kurtz:

Doesn´t the suffix T usually designate a projectile with tracer? I´ve seen it used that way on several occasions.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Concerning WW2 yes.

Regards, John Waters

------------------

Make way evil, I'm armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!

Yes.....

But is the Long 88 as modeled in CM lacking "punch" or not?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Tom, the more I look at the deviation in the 76mm & above pen data @ 30^ in CM's formula, the more apperent the gap in the CM 30^ data vs 30^ test data is.

The widest gap is from 100 - 1000ms from their; the penetration evens out more towards test data.

All CMs 30^ results are higher then the 30^ test data results, except the 17lb APDS which was lower then test data but was corrected & still is lower then test data but only by a few mm. The 90mm M304 APCR-T was was as high as the KwK.43 contested deviation, when compared to test data & since corrected.

That leaves the 76mm M93 APCR-T & , 90mm T-33 APCBC,

76mm M93 APCR-T @ 30^

CM Data:

500m - 165mm

1000m - 140mm

76mm M93 APCR-T @ 30^

Hunnicutt:

500m - 157mm

1000m - 135mm

90mm T33 APCBC 854m/s @ 30^

CM data:

500ms - 137mm

1000m - 125mm

90mm T33 APCBC 854m/s @ 30^

Hunnicutt:

500yds - 119mm

1000yrds - 117mm

Both which are higher then test data, & the ever lingering question on the 8.8cm KwK.43 penetration in the CM data as its, the only exception in CMs data, that is much lower then actual test data even the 17lb lower deviation at 191mms wasn't near the gap in test data vs CM data for the KwK.43 @ 30^, while CMs 0^ pen data for the KwK.43 is almost identical to test data:

8.8cm KwK.39/43 1018m/s APCBC @ 0^

CM Data:

100m - 220mm

500m - 205mm

1000m - 188mm

2000m - 157mm

8.8cm KwK.39/43 1000m/s APCBC @ 0^

Spielberger:

100m - 220

500m - 205

1000m - 186

2000m - 154

8.8cm KwK.43 Pzgr.39/43 1018m/s APCBC @ 30^

CM Data:

100m - 177mm

500m - 165mm

1000m - 151mm

1500 - N/A

2000m - 121mm

8.8cm KwK.43 Pzgr.39/43 1000m/s APCBC @ 30^. Pzgr.40/43 1130m/s APCR in ( )'s Jentz:

100m - 202mm (237mm)

500m - 185mm (217mm

1000m - 165mm (197mm)

1500m - 148mm (170mm)

2000m - 132mm (152mm)

Now how can the 0^ data be so close in CM's formula @ 0^ & the 30^ data be so skewed in in the 76 - 90mm guns & sometimes by a wide margin,(Ie, 90mm T-33). Especialy vs the actual test data that provided the 'accurate' 0^ results vs CM's @ 30^ disputed results.

Again all this has remained unanswered to date.

Regards, John Waters

-----------

"die verdammte Jabos".

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 09-08-2000).]