sharp shooter bug?

I just fought a QB with a friend hotseat. He has a nasty habit of putting a dozen panzerschrecks in kuebbelwaggons and driving them up close and offloading them near the front and taking out my tanks. SO this time I did the same to him, accept I used sharp shooters and ran them up in front of my tanks. THe strategy worked OK accept the sharpshooters failed to shoot at the panzerschercks? In one case I had a sharpshooter run into a house and lay down RIGHT BETWEEN 2 PANZERSCHERCKS, on the same floor, not 2 meters away from either of them. They lay next to each other for several turns hiding. Then when I noticed nothing was going on, I targeted one of them, to only get an 11% chance of a hit? And then he still would not fire! I never could get him to shoot at either of them and then they both ran off? Has anyone else noticed this?

BTW, thanks for all of the patches, modes, etc., this is a great game, Merry Xmas and Happy New Year! smile.gif

------------------

"You, you, and you, panic... the rest, come with me!"

You are having a CC flashback. smile.gif

It's not a bug, a sharpshooter is just one guy with a bolt lock rifle.

Only use one for sniping at targets at least 100 meters away.

Preferably 200-300 meters so his position won't be given away.

For what you were thinking, use half squads. Or full squads even.

[This message has been edited by Jarmo (edited 12-27-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stic.man:

i dont think sharpshooters will engage targets less than 100m away, im not sure why tho. do a search i guess...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They don't for reasons of self-preservation. These sharpshooters are just one guy with a rifle, and a limited supply of ammo. Shooting at anything closer than 100m gives away their position and attracts unwarranted and potentially life-shortening attention.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-27-2000).]

I thought the self preservation thing was probably the answer but it would appear to lead to a goofy result where the skilled sniper doesn't want to reveal himself to the enemy he is sharing a room with. This is somehting that probably won't get fixed either lest we have sharpshooters close assaulting all the time - like the mortar crew weapons issue.

Couldn't it be that the sniper was in a different room than the panzerschrecks? They simply didn't see him.

My personal view on this is that the sniper should attack an AT-team of 2 guys, but not a squad. With the bolt-action rifle you have a feasable chance of taking out 2 unprepared guys, but not a full (or even half) squad.

About the ammo: doesn't sniper also go "low" after the 10 rounds are spent, ie he can still shoot, but with a lower rate-of-fire?

I agree about the the desire to shoot from a distance and the self preservation aspect, however if I had a bolt action rifle and I ran into a house and found myself laying down 2 meters away from an enemy with a bazooka, I would hope that (a) I would see him, (B) I could get off the first shot and © that I would get a better than a 11% chance of hitting him! I do some hunting and I have never missed anything 2 yards away (however they were not shooting back at me), not that I can think of a time I ever actually got that close! wink.gif However, I would also think that many of the soldiers who carried heavy weapons (bazookas, HMG, mortars, flame throwers, etc.) may not have been able to carry a long arm (rife, SMG), but certainly they probably carried a side arm (pistol?). Perhaps combat at that range should be modeled using pistols?

Regarding the ammo, my understanding is that those are ammo points and not actual bullets, and that they do go to LOW after exceeding the 10 ammo points.

IIRC Sharpshooters ammo is empty after they fire all there rounds. Just like mortars.

------------------

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them." - Jack Handey

2m is a long way if there are two walls between you.

Remember, a house is abstracted. There are rooms and such in there.

If I was a sniper, and I found myself in a house with 4 enemy soldiers, I would do my damn best to be very unobtrusive. Sure I might kill one of them, at best, but I will surely get dead. Given the choice, few people would trade their lives for one of the enemies.

Jeff Heidman

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

I Can't remember if Sharpshooter ammo is per round, like mortars, or abstract, like Squads.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's abstracted.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

remember also that the panzershreck team only has its panzershreck, i have never see a P'shreck, Bazooka, PIAT team, ever shoot on its on a non vehicle. i think that once one of these teams runs out of ammo they should have pistols or something just so they arent not a complete waste after they are outta ammo.

I would think that a Heavy Weapons team member would carry at least a side arm, like the tank crews. In that same event, I had another sharpshooter run up to the same house while the 3 units were inside, and one of the Panzerschercks did fire at him, causing him to panic and run away. It was from only about 22meters, so I assume that the projectile arms itself in that range. It just seems silly to me that there we had 3 units laying next to each other ingoring each other but shoot at more distance targets in opposite directions. I imagine that each of the units would have heard the other unit firing in the house! smile.gif

Anyway, my other two pet pieves are 1) Bazookas/Panzerschercks that fire at vehicles but have no apparent effect against them (not tanks just vehicles) and 2) the choice of targets to fire on when multiple choices are available. 1) As far as I can tell, Bazookas/Panzerschercks have no effect on vehicles. I bet you if I shot my car with a bazooka, it would screw it up! 2) Too many times I have seen my tanks lined up head on with an enemy tank dueling to the death only to retarget some crew or kuebbelwaggon driving across their plane of view, yet of no real threat. I can tell you, if I had to choose to shoot back at a Tiger tank at 700m or a kubbelwaggon at 400m, I would choose the Tiger every single time, with no exceptions. What happens is this fault leads to gamey tactics, like driving your cheap vehicles and running crews around in front of enemy tanks to distract them. I would like to see the weighing of target choices cleaned up a little. But perhaps this is best presented in another string.

OK, that is all my complaining for now. Otherwise it is a great game! smile.gif

This whole weapon crew small arms sharpshooter ammo thing has been

discussed a jillion times already. There's REALLY no reason to

go through it again. BTS has stated they might look into doing

it better, if they have a leisure time problem sometime in the future.

BTW, if I had only a bolt lock rifle and I was in a building

with enemies, I'd just surrender. smile.gif

Guest Scott Clinton

FWIW Sharpshooter ammo is not abstracted. It is absolute like mortars. When you are out of ammo, you are out.

But, it has to be this way because a sharpshooter with "LOW" ammo would be damn near as effective as a normal one if used correctly.

As for the situation that started this thread, it is too bad but it is just a short-coming of the TACAI and a design choice for the AT gunners. The sharpshooter would not shoot and of course the AT teams have no small arms...so they just chatted for a while. wink.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

>>BTW, if I had only a bolt lock rifle and I was in a building

with enemies, I'd just surrender.

<<

Hmm, wasn't it Sgt York in a trench in WW1 who shot and killed something like 7 enemy soldiers with one-shot kills of his .45 cal semi-automatic pistol?

I wonder if I had a .45 and all the other 4 had were two bazookas, I wonder if I could drop all 4 of them first!?! Glad I don't have to find out! redface.gif