New BBC series based on brit SAS WW2

I found the BBC series to be rather good.

It certainly was not highly fictionalised. In fact it follows Ben Macintyres book pretty closely.

Most of the major incidents and raids are portrayed much as they happened; indeed some have been slightly downplayed as it was felt that they would be too unbelievable.

Sure, there is some dramatisation - its a TV series; what do you expect? Could have done without the totally fictional love interest and some of the timelines are a bit wonky. The music? .......depends on personal taste.

But it captures the wild nature of the formation of the unit and does a pretty good job of capturing the personalities of the main (real) characters. And it was never meant to be a documentary.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, that was crap, at least the half-episode i managed to sit through.

i was really looking forward a few years ago to  a film adaptation  going into production of   maj.  geoffrey powell's  'men at arnhem' ( a great read and grounds-eye view of the battle),  but i guess it's fallen through.... meh.

cheers,

rob

Edited by quakerparrot67