Top Commander - Stalingrad Operational Campaign

Artkin

Whether it's good or not, it's here. I've created a Stalingrad campaign map, and semi-historical Mastertoe (reduced for September) for it as well. I used material from Glantz, Joly and youtubers to research. I spent way too much time learning about the preliminaries too, crazy stuff.

I present an Army level assault on a huge map. It will take place September 13th - September 30th 1942. There will be two turns per day, with one battle per grid per turn possible.

The German TOE is 6th Army (One from 4th Army) which had four infantry divisions, two armored, and one motorized. They will be reinforced with two more divisions later on. The Soviet TOE is the 62nd Army in defense which contains too many divisions to list.

The campaign is being hosted on TheFGM since I am able to split teams with a password: https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forums/cmrt-top-commander.493/

Formations will start full strength instead of their historical strengths, despite numerous and specific infantry/tank strength reports.

Everything is being hosted in a program called "Geccos" which is similar to vassal. More about that digital campaign tracker in the link above. An image of the campaign in Geccos is at the bottom. It only shows troops on the front line to start.

Supply, Ammo Dumps, Signals, Medical are all planned.

More detailed information at the link above

On September 12th, LTG V.I. Chuikov replaced LTG A.I. Lopatin as commander of 62nd Army, and thus the defense of Stalingrad. That night he entered the city and observed the burned out wreck that was left of it. He was driven 800 meters behind the front lines to 62nd's Army HQ to meet General Krylov, 62nd Army's Chief of Staff and Commissar Gurov. The next day the German Assault on the city would begin.

1lGxMz.png

-----

1la8tF.png

-----

1lGhwr.png

-----

1lGG6b.png

1lGwd5.png

Edited by Artkin

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, DerKommissar said:

I'm a bit of a noob to CM modding, but this is a concept I wanted to try.

If you are still looking for players, I can be requisitioned.

Fantastic idea, btw!

Thank you!

I for sure still need players. I have 3 or 4 active FGMers who have shown their interest. I would feel comfortable starting with 3 players on each team, but would want it to grow into something like 10 v 10, along the same lines as the tournaments we already play. Difference being, your abilities will directly transfer over to your next battle, and your progress/failure would indirectly affect every other player on the map. 

The campaign is supposed to be totally dynamic and non-linear so we should see some very interesting matchups, as well as futher understanding the purposes of the CM toe's, which happen to be done so well that a project like this was able to happen in the first place. In example, stug battalions were assigned to the army level!

For the mastertoe, I am polishing it. That means name changes for every formation down to company, and rearming/refitting formations to their 1942 standards, which typically isn't too far off from what we're used to already. 

9 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

I'll confess to a lack of understanding of how this might work, but you can sign me up for 'conscription' too.  Who would have thought that would be happening just now?

If you could assign me with +2 modifiers all round I'd appreciate it.

Lets go!!!! Sounds good. 

You will have your +2, but troops will be conscripts with extreme fanaticsm 👍:)

If you view the FGM page, it might clear up some confusion

12 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

No worries.  When is kick off?

We are waiting to get a good amount of people while I tidy up the rest of the TOE. Otherwise we are good to go, everything is completed.

I havent worked on it a couple weeks, so I should get back to renaming.

Edited by Artkin

Looks really good. 

I can't wait to be in command of CM battalions, divisions or more.  My orders turn may take a while but who gives a ****?

While I would have said I'll be Axis, I see that most others have already said this.  So I could be Soviet and repel the Nazi players who prefer Axis.  Allegedly 🤪.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 9:54 PM, Artkin said:

I'm looking for Commanders

Hi Artkin

Looking at the thread on FGW it seems progress has stalled due to

1. lack of players

2. no-one wanting to be Top Commander (on either side)

3. concerns that the scale of the operation might require a lot of time commitment.

I can sort of understand point 3 as it looked like I might be commanding two Soviet divisions, but I may be misunderstanding it.  Anyway, sorry that you've put in so much unrewarded effort but maybe we can still get something going?

7 hours ago, Vacillator said:

Hi Artkin

Looking at the thread on FGW it seems progress has stalled due to

1. lack of players

2. no-one wanting to be Top Commander (on either side)

3. concerns that the scale of the operation might require a lot of time commitment.

I can sort of understand point 3 as it looked like I might be commanding two Soviet divisions, but I may be misunderstanding it.  Anyway, sorry that you've put in so much unrewarded effort but maybe we can still get something going?

Yeah that pretty much sums it up.

I actually saved the maps the other day - as in broke them down in their final grid form and saved them to a folder for easy access. I even set up both sides in a mostly historical (To the best of my ability) deployment. I used Tik's 19th Stalingrad video.

From this point I could make a semi-historical campaign following what the units actually did in Sept. 1942, but it would be weird since my map is makeshift and doesn't really reflect the size of the actual city of Stalingrad all that well.

Or, I could just play as both sides and rig battles.

I have a rigged campaign where I started the first move. I actually set up the first scenario a couple days ago. It would be possible to grind away at the campaign in this fashion; providing people with battles until the next turn has arrived and the next command sequence would begin.

Seeing that I really didn't get much of a response from people when I reached out - I didn't decide to write anything on the forums about it. I'm not really sure what to do next. I could rig the battles and even play in them, I don't mind.