CMMOS and Rule Sets?

Lane

Guys,

Anybody still use CMMOS? I installed CMBO, and patch to 1.12. I would like to use CMMOS for CMBO I have it set up for CMBB. I Know that I can set up CMMOS Ver 4.03 and rule sets and add those mods for CMBO at CM HQ. but found a bunch of CMMOS at CM Mod base page like US and Allied uniforms. I found a newer CMMOS ver 4.05a?

and some rule sets in zip forum but no installer? Is there a way to install new rule sets with out a self Installer.

Sorry my spelling is not the best.

Thank's for any replies or info

Regards

Lane :D

Junk2drive,

Thank's for the reply smile.gif I saw MikeT's CMMOS

new ver 4.05a and a rule sets zip file. but the rule sets did not have a auto installer. Is there a way to manual install those rule sets.

I was wanting to install the US Army uniforms.

Will go back over at cmmods and look around again smile.gif

Thank's again for your reply. smile.gif

Lane smile.gif

It has been so long ago I don't remember. If the CMMOS exe creates the Rule Set folder, just dump all the zips into that folder. Then run configure.

Just make sure that the mods that you download go into a folder outside of the GEM Productions folder. If you ever uninstall CMMOS it takes everthing with it.

• 9 months later...

Hi Lane.

It's almost a year later, but did you come right with your ruleset problem? I've just joined the CMBO bandwagon now, and am sitting with the same problem that the rulesets for Allied uniforms, etc. are not auto installed to create the necessary tabs in CMMOS 4.5. As CMMOS.exe doesn't create any ruleset folders and I don't fancy having to install each Allied uniform mod manually, how did you get it to work?

It's been about a year since my computer died and I had to redo my cmbo cmmos, so I don't remember exactly what I did. And the worst part is I need to remember becuase Dell is in the process of replacing my computer again, so I'm about to experience another total wipe-out.

But I think I went to CMHQ and downloaded everything there. Then I went to CMMODS and added the parts that never made the final cut at CMHQ. It takes a bit of fiddling around, but you can end up with a version of CMBO CMMOS that is essentially CMHQ plus Mike T's salvage work on one of my mods and Darknight's Commonwealth uniforms.

You can do this kind of mix and match thing because CMBO CMMOS works a bit differently from CMBB CMMOS. CMHQ will give you most of the rulesets that you need, add Mike T's, then figure out which are redundant and remove them. I'll be able to describe it in more detail next month when I reconstruct my computer again (sigh).

Thanks Philippe. I appreciate the fast response!

I have indeed used the CMHQ rulesets, such that I have most of the rulesets operative on CMMOS. It's getting those last few Mike T ones working as well that's proving to be the problem. I look forward to receiving your more detailed instructions in this regard - good luck with the computer reconstruction!

For whatever it's worth, you don't really need an autoinstaller once you have the basic cmmos program in place. Unzip whatever you've got into a holding folder, then look in the relevant section of commos, and either add the new folders to existing folders, or add new ones altogether. But before you start messing around with that make sure you understand (or remember) what cmmos does to make switches to the bmp folder.

The process with cmbo is much simpler than with the other two -- all the bmp's with their extensions sit in the bmp folder unzipped -- you just have to make sure that the rule sets are in place, and that the program can recognize the rule sets.

On this last point, I think the absolute latest version of the cmmos program is floating around cmmods somewhere. It's probably not in the cmbo section, but Gordon did some last minute tinkering when Mike T tried to expand cmmos to include cmak. I can't remember if I'm using it or not, but I suspect that if you look through all the cmmos material on cmmods you'll find the rule sets you need.

Sorry if this is a bit vague, but I'm probably going to be putting out fires for the next six weeks or so.

Ta. As far as I know, I have got the latest version of CMMOS - version 4.05. I say so because this version does include a CMAK option.

My problem is precisely getting the program to recognise the rulesets. I can manually create the required ruleset folders in the GEM Productions folder on Explorer, but that does nothing for CMMOS as far as creating the ruleset tabs is concerned. I'm thus left with all the downloaded rulesets in zip format, which I can happily extract into my CMBO/BMP and/or GEM Productions folders, but I still have no obvious way of getting CMMOS to pick them up without an auto installer (the auto installer that came with the "old" CMHQ rulesets did all the CMMOS tab creating for me).

At the risk of adding confusion to the process, I just poked around in my version of cmmos and what I seem to have done is that I added a few select Mike T rulesets to 4.03, not 4.05. (4.03 is the one that was tested to death and that still lives on the cmhq site).

So what I seem to be running is a hybrid of 4.03 with some rulesets from 4.05, and no cmak capability.

(you don't really need cmmos cmak because not enough conversions were done to make it worth the bother of installing).

If you get really hung up with it, you might try dropping an e-mail to Gordon Molek who wrote the program. But if memory serves, you can add quite a few custom rule sets to 4.03, you just have to make sure that you get the nomenclature right, and that you remember to put the ruleset folders in the right place. There are also a couple of files that have to be in each one to make them work -- you can figure out what they are by studying rulesets that actually work (I'm talking about text files with one short line of info on them that you can actually write yourself if they are missing).

Cmmos is breathtakingly logical, but infuriatingly literal -- you often discover that something isn't working because a space has crept in to the name of a file or a folder, and the program reads the space (or its absence) as a separate character.

Your rulesets should all be in a folder with a path called C:\Program Files\GEM Software Productions\CM Mod Option Selector\CMBO. If not you will have problems. And make sure that there's no space between the words Rule, Set, and the three digit number (e.g. RuleSet001). The auto installer doesn't create the tabs. They're created by dumping the RuleSet folder with the right number in the right place. All the autoinstaller is supposed to do is the dumping.

Somewhere on this site or in the program you should be able to turn up Gordon Molek's e-mail -- he wrote the program and has forgotten more about it than anyone will ever learn.

WOW!! You are a genius!!! The short answer for anyone else out there with this problem is thus:

To have a specific ruleset tab displayed on CMMOS 4.05, you must have the Infoxxx.txt file included in the RuleSetxxx folder in your GEM Software Productions/CM Mod Option Selector/CMBO folder, where xxx is the ruleset number (001,002, etc.) that you want. Having this file there is what creates the tab for the ruleset. Just copy this file from Ruleset001 (which is one of the CMHQ ones that does show up in 4.05), rename it from Info001.txt to Info241.txt (for example, to create the tab for Ruleset241 - Darkight's 21st Army Group), change the Ruleset Name within the file to what you want to appear on the tab and Save. Voila! If you've manually created the RuleSet241 folder (staying with the same example) correctly in your GEM Software Productions/CM Mod Option Selector/CMBO folder, and unzipped everything from Mike T's zipped rulesets on this site into that folder, then suddenly you will now have the new ruleset in CMMOS 4.05, with all its activated and inactive icons nicely displayed.

Thanks Philippe! It's always great when the solution is something so small and simple!!

• 3 months later...

I went through what you're going through a few months ago when my computer got replaced, so this is what I think is the best thing for you to do.

1) For the moment, ignore any version of CMMOS that came on your disk, and ignore CMMOS 4.05.

2) Go to CMHQ and get CMMOS 4.03. Here is the link to the CMMOS section: http://www.combatmission.com/cmmos/cmmos.asp

3) For the moment, ignore CMBB CMMOS.

4) Download the CMMOS 4.03 program and all of the downloads pertaining to CMBO from the CMHQ site.

(There are a lot of these, so you will need to set up a system to keep track of what you have installed and what you haven't. I suggest a sub-folder for the program and another subfolder for all the mods).

5) Install CMMOS 4.03 and all of its related mods from the CMHQ site. Do not go on to the next step until you are absolutely sure you've got CMMOS fully installed and working properly.

6) Go to CMMODS and at the very minimum get Darknight's 21rst Army Group and my Semiotics mods. If you understand how to add mods to CMBO CMMOS and make them work (a bit tricky until you get the hang of it) you can customize your CMBO CMMOS installation all you want. And at this point you can install 4.05 if you really want to (it doesn't really have any impact on CMBO CMMOS, and if you can set up any functional rule-set from 4.05 in 4.03 and have it work perfectly as long as you set it up correctly in the first place).

It's best to start this process on an unmodded version of CMBO. Unmodded versions of CMBO are fairly easy to come by because on the old disks you could just go into explorer and copy and paste the bmp file from the disk to your hard drive (it's a big file, takes a while).

Please note that CMBO cmmos covers about 95% of the mods that are out there for CMBO. And we probably preserved a few that shouldn't have been preserved (oddly enough two of the flag bmp's that slipped out of my Vexillology section were quite good and were mine, but nobody seems to like flat flags anymore so it's no big deal).

CMBB CMMOS works completely differently from CMBO CMMOS. And it only covers about 30% of the mods that are out there. So don't clutter yourself up with it for now, though you should use it (possibly in combination with McMMM) when you get into the Eastern Front. For CMAK, not enough of the mods appear in CMMOS format to justify the effort of installing them. Go with McMMM or do it manually.

Thanks for your help dude, so far what I did was install CMMOS 4.03+Axis rulesets+Allies rulesets+all GEM mods for Axis and Allies, and got them all up and working functionally, I can't seem to find the Semiotics and Darknight's 21st Army Group mods on CMHQ, but it's 11 PM over here so its probably just because I'm tired, I'll try looking again in the morning, thanks for your post dude, VERY helpful!!

My plan is to play through CMBO until I get tired of it, then move onto CMBB and finally CMKA, and inbetween that I have dug up my copies of the Close Combat series that I am also playing. smile.gif

Anyway, huge thanks again for your help!

//Regards and happy holidays

Semiotics and the 21rst Army group are over at CMMODS with most of the 4.05 material. You'll need to register (you won't get spammed) and then start poking around in the CMBO section. A lot of what's in there are cmmos cmbo mods with cmmos cabability removed. But there's recent work that postdates the demise of the cmmos cabal that is worth looking at.

But don't try to do too much on your first foray or you'll get tired and start making silly mistakes.

Any cmbo cmmos mod is compatible with any other part of cmbo cmmos as long as 1) the mod files with cmmos extensions are in the cmbo/bmp folder (and aren't zipped or in folders!); and 2) there is a rule-set for that type of mod along with a specific rule that invokes the mod with the cmmos extensions on its bmp numbers mentioned in 1) above.

As long as those two conditions are met, something from cmbo cmmos 4.01 will work in cmbo cmmos 4.05, and vice versa. Your only risk, and you will eventually learn how to fix this if it happens, is that you may end up with a few extra tabs on your control screen that duplicate other tabs. You won't lose any functionality, but make absolutely sure you know what you're doing before you run around deleting apparently duplicate rules.

The Semiotics and 21rst Army were originally written for 4.02 in three parts. The cabal moved off into the sunset around the time the first tested draft was finished, so Semiotics never made it to the CMHQ website.

When Mikey T put 4.05 together he found a vehicle for publishing Semiotics I and II, minus some of their original functionality (e.g. different unit protraits depending on the season of year), and Darknight had significantly expanded Semiotics III (which was largely his anyway) into its present astonishing and masterful form. If you have any interest in the Commonwealth military, it has to be seen to be believed.

[ December 09, 2007, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Philippe ]