Bundeswehr 8-Rad Stealthy Recon AFV

John Kettler

People jonesing for the Bundeswehr Leopards recognize they need recon in support, which is why they're going to want this, the antithesis of the Bradley M3 CFV. Brother George and fellow Scouts got to meet their Bundeswehr counterparts and offered a straight across swap, but were immediately refused. The Luchs is smaller, lower, practically silent, able to get into a fight and out of it with equal celerity (back-to-back drivers, just like the WW II German 8-Rad ACs), amphibious and is so lightly armed it would never be used as a tank, yet was perfectly able to deal with Soviet motorcycles and armored cars.

Regards,

John Kettler

Fun fact about the Luchs recon AFV:

It basically had two roles during the Cold War:

1) Frontline recon: In this role it would have done classic frontline recon for the armored units of the Bundeswehr. Nothing special about it.

2) Deep recon: This is a somewhat uniqute role for an armored vehicle. In this role Luchs AFVs would have been tasked with slipping through the frontline and conducting recon up to 150km behind enemy lines. Moving at night, observing from a hideout during the day.
It's been designed with this role in mind:
- It's silhouette is broadly similar to that of a soviet BTR
- It was equipped with a HF long range radio to be able to stay in contact with the HQ over long distances.
- It's incredibly silent, so much that you often hear the sound of the tires, before you hear the engine. On excersies with these vehicles, specific resting areas had to be designated for the infantry as there had been a deadly accident where a soldier got rolled over by a Luchs during an exercise while he was sleeping.
- It has a dedicated reverse driver, who would steer the vehicle while in reverse. It could drive just as fast in reverse than it could drive forward (100 km/h).
- It was ambhibious to cross rivers on its own.

I still find it mind boggling to this day, if I imagine I had to drive around behind enemy lines in such a big vehicle.

Edited by QuiGon

21 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

Fun fact about the Luchs recon AFV:

It basically had two roles during the Cold War:

1) Frontline recon: In this role it would have done classic frontline recon for the armored units of the Bundeswehr. Nothing special about it.

2) Deep recon: This is a somewhat uniqute role for an armored vehicle. In this role Luchs AFVs would have been tasked with slipping through the frontline and conducting recon up to 150km behind enemy lines. Moving at night, observing from a hideout during the day.
It's been designed with this role in mind:
- It's silhouette is broadly similar to that of a soviet BTR
- It was equipped with a HF long range radio to be able to stay in contact with the HQ over long distances.
- It's incredibly silent, so much that you often hear the sound of the tires, before you hear the engine. On excersies with these vehicles, specific resting areas had to be designated for the infantry as there had been a deadly accident where a soldier got rolled over by a Luchs during an exercise while he was sleeping.
- It has a dedicated reverse driver, who would steer the vehicle while in reverse. It could drive just as fast in reverse than it could drive forward (100 km/h).
- It was ambhibious to cross rivers on its own.

I still find it mind boggling to this day, if I imagine I had to drive around behind enemy lines in such a big vehicle.

Great vehicle indeed, QuiGon. Thanks for that info.

All,

Here's a great video which combines existing footage of the Luchs with stills the creator of this vid included from his time as commander of one. Am still looking for a video I've seen of one camouflaged in a dung heap with only the turret exposed. Practically invisible!

QuiGon,

Had no idea this AFV had a deep recon role, but can well believe it could do that and do it well. 

Regards,

John Kettler