Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

SCRIPT FILE EDITING

kohlenklau

I decided to see what this might do for me...

I had never effed with the script file. People have asked me for my mods, "It says it is a PZIIL in the UI but on screen I see it is a Romanian R-35, can you change the UI?"

I have many more of this shenanigans coming so I decided to try to edit the script file.

CMRT script file in the F&R brz folders. red thunder v210a

red lights and klaxons activated, safety goggles on, range cleared, 3-2-1-0 commence test...

I opened the text file and changed IS-1 to KV-1. saved it ot my CMRT z folder.

Loaded the game. My vehicle modding test scenario loaded and my IS-1 "work in progress" KV-1 unit showed this! UI said it is a KV-1. Hot damn!

It showed the IS-1's 85mm gun and icon for heavy tank. Looks like the game code sees the script file as perhaps sequential entries? Maybe IS-1 is entry #395? Or whatever...

Next test will be actual scenario play 

3iAeuxU.png

17 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

oh wow, great. Thanks

You can edit any entry in the latest strings text file for any CM game (for most CM games this latest version will be in the latest patch) HOWEVER a strings text file cannot be tagged so will load up for every scenario & campaign.

Additionally you will have to update your modified strings text file pretty much every time a patch is released as otherwise your mod will cause an issue where ALL the games text gets jumbled up.

There are no ammunition entries in the strings file so these and a few other odds & ends are, essentially, hardcoded.

TBH, for almost every project, it's not really worth the hassle.

22 minutes ago, 37mm said:

You can edit any entry

thanks. It is odd. I see entry for T-70M but can't understand where the hell the rest of it is T-70M (Model 1942) and T-70M (Model 1943) also for the T-34's. I just see T-34, no other parts. Bizarre stuff. 

23 minutes ago, 37mm said:

TBH, for almost every project, it's not really worth the hassle.

yeah, I have NOT worried before, just had to give it a try. I will most likely drop it as I have enough to do. I play guitar, drums, keyboards, do vocals, I shake the tamborine in a mini-skirt, load the amps on the bus, the whole effing band.

3 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

thanks. It is odd. I see entry for T-70M but can't understand where the hell the rest of it is T-70M (Model 1942) and T-70M (Model 1943) also for the T-34's. I just see T-34, no other parts. Bizarre stuff.

It's not "Model 1942".

In the editor it is "M1942"... and there is a seperate entry for that in the strings file.

Presumbaly CM merges the two entries for the seperate models in the game.

I also tried a deletion of an entry and it worked.

PzIIL Lynx in the UI is 2 entries

I edited PzIIL to PzIIF then backspaced the Lynx to "nothing" and now UI says PzIIF

Changed PzIIIN to PzIVF1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another quick experiment...I changed German Army to Romanian Army for my CMRT Romania Mod. Fired up a battle and surrendered after 1 turn, the results screen showed Romanian Army. That is helpful to know that works...

Edited by kohlenklau

• 1 year later...