Where is the " Edit " button?

If you click on the three dots in the upper right, you should have an edit option available to you.  You can only edit posts for a certain amount of time before they become etched in stone.  That's to prevent forum discussions from becoming strange collections of posts as people edit things and responses no longer make sense.

Edited by ASL Veteran

Thanks for that ASL.  That is probably why I'm having problems with it not being under the three dots when I've looked.  Wished it was longer than what it currently is though as many times I don't notice a misspell or misused word until checking on a post some hours or some cases days later.  Rules are rules however and now that I know I'll slow down and pay more attention.  Yeah, probably not.  My fingers move so fast and my brain not so much these days.  😊

Edited by lcm1947

7 hours ago, lcm1947 said:

Thanks for that ASL.  That is probably why I'm having problems with it not being under the three dots when I've looked.  Wished it was longer than what it currently is though as many times I don't notice a misspell or misused word until checking on a post some hours or some cases days later.  Rules are rules however and now that I know I'll slow down and pay more attention.  Yeah, probably not.  My fingers move so fast and my brain not so much these days.  😊

I have personal experience with a forum that allowed editing at any time.  I was in this big back and forth discussion with this guy about Napoleonic Warfare and he would say one thing, then I would counter that and cite a reference.  He would then continue on until he realized that he was incorrect about something, then he would go back like three posts earlier and alter what he wrote so that he was basically saying something completely different from what he originally said.  My subsequent posts began to make less and less sense because I was responding to something that he altered after I had posted.  The real aggravating thing was that I didn't even know he altered stuff from three posts back and so when he would make a new response to one of my posts it would be very confusing because his new posts were inconsistent with his old posts as I remembered them.  The only thing I could do after that was include his entire original post in my response, but even in that case he would still alter what he originally said even with me quoting his original post in my response (so now his original post didn't match what I was quoting in my response).  I had to give up discussing anything with him because you can't have a discussion with someone who keeps altering what they say after the fact.  It was very annoying.  

Anyway, when I post here I usually re read what I just posted immediately after I post.  In that way the timer doesn't become an issue.

7 hours ago, ASL Veteran said:

I have personal experience with a forum that allowed editing at any time.  I was in this big back and forth discussion with this guy about Napoleonic Warfare and he would say one thing, then I would counter that and cite a reference.  He would then continue on until he realized that he was incorrect about something, then he would go back like three posts earlier and alter what he wrote so that he was basically saying something completely different from what he originally said.  My subsequent posts began to make less and less sense because I was responding to something that he altered after I had posted.  The real aggravating thing was that I didn't even know he altered stuff from three posts back and so when he would make a new response to one of my posts it would be very confusing because his new posts were inconsistent with his old posts as I remembered them.  The only thing I could do after that was include his entire original post in my response, but even in that case he would still alter what he originally said even with me quoting his original post in my response (so now his original post didn't match what I was quoting in my response).  I had to give up discussing anything with him because you can't have a discussion with someone who keeps altering what they say after the fact.  It was very annoying.  

Anyway, when I post here I usually re read what I just posted immediately after I post.  In that way the timer doesn't become an issue.

Yeah, I forget sometimes that there are those out there that just screw up everything for everybody else.