Ingame Graphics are very pixelated and jagged

Kicknuts

Hi there

I purchased CM Cold War on Steam. I was unable to fix a serious graphics issue that made CMCW unplayable for me and refunded the game: The entire screen was jagged, details barely recognizable, pixelated. In short words - it looked like ****.

I know the engine is very antique, but I never experienced this weird problem before with a CM game. I was searching a while in different forums for a solution, but could not find one that worked. I changed settings ingame and in the drivers and nothing worked.

But I still wanna know what the cause is and what the cure is. If anybody had the same problem and found a solution, then please enlighten me. Thanks!

My PC: Win 11 64-Bit, 16GB, NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2070 with 8GB RAM, Intel Core i5 10600K, AGOC 3440x1440@120Hz

Is this a laptop or a desktop, I assume it is a desktop (with a high-res monitor) ? With laptops that have both integrated Intel video and a dedicated GPU, you may have to force the game to run on the dedicated GPU. Methods to do this can vary, usually it can be done with the dedicated GPU's control panels by adding a profile for the game. Other times it may require a change in a particular video utility that controls which video chip is running an application.

If this is a desktop (where integrated video will not usually be the culprit), have you already disabled FXAA in the Nvidia Control Panel ('Global' or specific to the application) ? There is also an 'Image Scaling' setting that I have set to 'OFF' (I'm only running 1920 x 1200, though).

Another possible problem may be 'scaling'. I'm using Windows 10, so I'm not absolutely sure how similar Windows 11 settings may be. With Steam you may need to find the actual game executable and create a shortcut link to it on your desktop for convenience. Otherwise it MAY be possible that the Nvidia controls may be using the 'Steam' presets. In Windows 10 you can right-click on the game icon and select 'Properties' from the popup menu. In here go to the 'Compatibility' tab and go to the bottom and click on the 'Change high DPI settings'. In here go to the bottom section 'High DPI scaling override'. Click the check-box for 'Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by:' and make sure that 'Application' is selected in the drop-down box.

Another thing to try when it comes to scaling (at least with Windows 10 - it may be located a bit different or have different options in Win 11) is to go to Start Menu > 'Settings' > 'Display' menu option (on left, typically the default selection) > 'Scale and layout' section > here you likely may have the scaling above '100%' with high resolution displays. You can adjust this for your entire desktop (with fonts and icons appearing much smaller, if you do) or you can click on the 'Advanced scaling settings' just below this. In the 'Fix scaling for apps' section you can TURN OFF the slider button for 'Let Windows try to fix apps so they're not blurry'.

@Kicknuts chances are that the automatic DPI scaling compatibility support is the cause of your troubles (after looking at your specs they are similar to mine and I had something very similar to you).

My advice is that you download one of the demos from BFC and follow @Schrullenhaft directions to see what works.

Edited by BletchleyGeek

A screenshot of the issue would help but my first guess would be that this is a resolution issue... CM only has a few default resolution settings & anything else has to be added by editing a text file.

3440 x 1440 is a weird resolution... presumably a curved monitor?

I have NO idea how CM responds to those.

@BletchleyGeek's advice is great, CM games almost always come with playable demo's (The latest CMCW being an exception).