bug in Ashsh al-Dababir AKA the Hornet's nest

Having a problem with the Ashsh al-Dababir AKA the Hornet's nest scenario. Things are actually going pretty good and I'm actually enjoying urban combat for the 1st time but each time I get to turn 30 and hit the  red button to issue orders that whole game crashes. 

I've tried multiple times and have the same result, even after a computer restart. I'm on SF2 2.04. 

Has anyone else seen this?

Link to save game immediately before it crashes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zcwbp7hs78e7plq/Ashsh al-Dababir (The Hornets' Nest) 31.bts?dl=0

H

Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 17.23.27.png

Checked the scenario in the editor.....I can't see any events or orders set for turn 30 that are obviously problematic.

I've just run the scenario turn by turn (without orders) to see if it would crash at the same point.....It didn't.

Wondered if it might be an 'Out Of Memory Error' as previous experiments with ported maps/scenarios have produced odd results that caused @MOS:96B2P & I to wonder if there wasn't something somehow 'leaking' in files transferred from the older game.....90 turns later (without save or exit) we were roundly defeated by ISIS. 

@Halmbarte Everything appears to be working just as it should, it sounds like you had bad luck and one of your saves somehow got corrupted.....Appreciate you taking the time to play it, sorry it didn't work out.  :unsure:

That said, this has incentivised me to look at Mosul again.....I've decided to completely remake this scenario (& its sequel 'Al Hutumah' which I never released) for and with CM:SF2. 

I'll be using Canadians to represent CTS in the new iteration, which means some mods will be required to get the scenario working (Arabic voice files swapped for Canadian & CTS uniforms should cover it).  This should sort out the ammunition issues once & for all and it still allows me to create an all CTS core using some limited crew-swapping to get all the HMMWVs that I will need (one or two extra US advisors may have to be present).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

System specs

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

System Firmware Version: 431.140.6.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.19f12

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 2 GB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0fe9

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 3776

Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported

gMux Version: 4.0.8 [3.2.8]

Metal Family: Supported, Metal GPUFamily macOS 1

H

11 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Not sure what most of that means TBH, but as you know, it ain't a big scenario (although it is pretty busy), so it shouldn't have taxed your rig....Mine doesn't bat an eyelid.

Performance was fine with no noticeable lag, although the CPU would max out from time to time. 

H

5 minutes ago, Halmbarte said:

Performance was fine with no noticeable lag, although the CPU would max out from time to time.

OK, this is a bit mad.....Thought I'd check out the save that's crashing for you.

Downloaded it and srted it up, clicked 'Big Red' and it ran just fine for me!  :lol:

One of your Vampyr teams did a proper number on the dudes at the corner of the Maqbara road.....Took down the building next door!  :o

Want me to send you the new turn, see if you can get it to work now?  The SEALs just arrived!  B)

PS - Get all of the SRAAW(M)s and all the 84mm ammo out of the MRAPs (I give them to half-squads without RPG-29s).....Your units can use them just fine and it nearly doubles your firepower!  ;)

18 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

OK, this is a bit mad.....Thought I'd check out the save that's crashing for you.

Downloaded it and srted it up, clicked 'Big Red' and it ran just fine for me!  :lol:

One of your Vampyr teams did a proper number on the dudes at the corner of the Maqbara road.....Took down the building next door!  :o

Want me to send you the new turn, see if you can get it to work now?  The SEALs just arrived!  B)

PS - Get all of the SRAAW(M)s and all the 84mm ammo out of the MRAPs (I give them to half-squads without RPG-29s).....Your units can use them just fine and it nearly doubles your firepower!  ;)

That would be great! I'm really liking this scenario and wanted to finish it to the end. 

I didn't figure out I should have looted the vehicles during setup so there has been some frantic driving around to resupply with rifle and MG ammo. Suppressive fire burns thru ammo pretty fast. 

H

OK, so this now gets even weirder.....I just ran the same save again to get a screenshot of your Vampyr Team laying waste to stuff.....It didn't happen!  :o

WTF?  :o

I thought this was impossible, that a turns events were baked in?  I didn't give any orders or change anything, but this time the Vampyr Team never fired and the building is still up!  :o

Just running it again as I type.....Back in sixty seconds or so:

Same result, they never fire.  :mellow:

I'm now exiting CM:SF2 and reloading it completely, just to see what happens.....Couple more minutes, BRB:

XIEoPkI.jpg

OK, so this time they did fire, but they hit the two floor building next door, with much less spectacular results.

Anyhow, as you can see, it's working for me @Halmbarte check your PMs, I sent a link and I'm genuinely fascinated to know if it will run for you.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

28 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

OK, so this now gets even weirder.....I just ran the same save again to get a screenshot of your Vampyr Team laying waste to stuff.....It didn't happen!  :o

WTF?  :o

I thought this was impossible, that a turns events were baked in?  I didn't give any orders or change anything, but this time the Vampyr Team never fired and the building is still up!  :o

Just running it again as I type.....Back in sixty seconds or so:

Same result, they never fire.  :mellow:

I'm now exiting CM:SF2 and reloading it completely, just to see what happens.....Couple more minutes, BRB:

XIEoPkI.jpg

OK, so this time they did fire, but they hit the two floor building next door, with much less spectacular results.

Anyhow, as you can see, it's working for me @Halmbarte check your PMs, I sent a link and I'm genuinely fascinated to know if it will run for you.

@Sgt.SquareheadYeah, your saved filed got me to 29 minutes left. Didn't see the incoming IED before it popped. Well, so much for that squad...

Thanks a bunch for the help. 

H

Edited by Halmbarte