Professional/atmospheric briefings in cm

Guest herbjorn

Guest herbjorn

From the demo I gather that there wont be any cutscenes etc. to set the mood in cm. I appreciated the briefings in the demo as they also told a little about the overall situation and werent blunt like "take your men and take that hill".

Would/should there be a standard for briefings in CM, or should it be omitted/included at the scenario designers discretion? What should a "good" briefing include besides the men and equipment at your command, expected reinforcements, intelligence on enemy strength etc.

Are there any tools in the full version to help write briefings?

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by herbjorn:

What should a "good" briefing include besides the men and equipment at your command, expected reinforcements, intelligence on enemy strength etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMO, it should include a bit of the background, i.e. why is the mission important, how did you end up in the place, why are these forces and not 500 King Tigers at your command, and the sources in historical or semi-historical scenarios. Basically tell a miniature story and add to immersion. And show some proof that the scenario author has thought about it, and that there is some aim in creating the scenario.

------------------

Andreas

OH MAN,,,he says scratching his balding noggin and thinking,,,hmmmm I like the briefings cause theres not some cigar chomping animation conducting the briefing and that the current briefing format sorta follows part of a real life Operations Order format. Course its better than scrawling your tactical graphics on the side of your APC or a (yes I am that old,,) C ration box.

Id prefer that the BTS boys concentrate on the modeling of the game,,which rocks,,,versus the frooey stuff that THE BIG COMPUTER COMPANIES use. Thanks for letting me rant

We have tried to strive for a professional looking (military if you will) briefing format rarther than the Sarge giving you some childish "go knock out those krauts kid", kind of briefing where possible. I'm glad to see it's appreciated since the latter annoys me greatly. I think it diminishes from the experience.

Los

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Los:

We have tried to strive for a professional looking (military if you will) briefing format rarther than the Sarge giving you some childish "go knock out those krauts kid", kind of briefing where possible. I'm glad to see it's appreciated since the latter annoys me greatly. I think it diminishes from the experience.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about a half-charred piece of paper that comes wrapped around some cigars? Of course, then the enemy might find it before you do.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

Scenario (snip) models the "intelligence" assessment realistically. It lies. It misjudges the enemies' composition and quality, and promises reinforcements which in actuality are not modeled to exist in the scenario.

I think the developer should take liberty to fudge the assessment, and make the promises superiors always made... "...and expect reinforcements in 15-20 minutes...", or expect air support, or arty support-- and never get it.

The grognard may not like "historical" scenarios taking such liberties... but other developers should really consider it.

IMHO

Havermeyer

And another thing...

I think the briefing, if done well, really helps establish the mood and adds to the immersive qualities of the game.

------------------

"Two World Wars and One World Cup, do da, do da!"

--British Hooligan, sung to Camptown Races

Guest dirkd1976

I agree with Harver, a well done intro and briefing really adds to the over feeling of "being there". Anything less and I feel cheated!!! smile.gif

------------------

Never mistake motion for action - Ernest Hemingway

[This message has been edited by dirkd1976 (edited 07-11-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Havermeyer:

And another thing...

I think the briefing, if done well, really helps establish the mood and adds to the immersive qualities of the game.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I completely agree with Havermeyer here. Briefings should be economical with the truth - anyone remembers this one: "Sure Gen. Urquhart, the XXX Corps will be at Arnhem Bridge in 48 hours to relieve your division." I can just see the player fuming...

And they also should be non-specific, a la 'There are some big friends on the way Major, in case you run into tanks, not sure when they arrive.' In the event, the big friends could be anything, TDs, Shermans, Churchills.

And as I said before, adding some sense of purpose - a la 'you must hold that ridge at all costs, otherwise the Germans will be able to outflank us...'

------------------

Andreas

Guest Mortiis

I agree with everyone about the briefings(exp with demo) I was taken back with how well it set the mood and could easily evision recieving orders from command(no need for video when you have imagination) My question for those with the full game is can you when designing a scenarion place odds on when and if a reinforcement is going to arrive, the same way as westfront. That way its a bit more random adding more replayabilty for scenarios when trying to max out your performance. If not then I would think that would be an extra nice touch by bts to add it in a future patch

In scenario X there were no reinforcements discussed in the briefing. My right flank had just collapsed when I got the magical "Reinforcements have arrived" box. An M4(105) and a platoon of infantry make me yell out loud in joy and surprise.

Great scenario briefing!!!!

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mortiis:

My question for those with the full game is can you when designing a scenarion place odds on when and if a reinforcement is going to arrive, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can, both of these things are in. There is a cumulative %age value and a turn you can specify. E.g. reinforcement 1 appear earliest in turn 12 with 8% probability. IIUC, that means in 13 it will be 16% etc. So basically the lower the probability, the higher the replayability, as far as reinforcements are concerned.

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

You can, both of these things are in. There is a cumulative %age value and a turn you can specify. E.g. reinforcement 1 appear earliest in turn 12 with 8% probability. IIUC, that means in 13 it will be 16% etc. So basically the lower the probability, the higher the replayability, as far as reinforcements are concerned.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the percent chance does not change per turn.

If you have a 50% chance on turn x, and they do not show, you ahve a 50% chance on turn X+1, another 50% chance on X=2, etc., etc.

In an operation the chance for reniforcements are per scenario. I wish you could have reinforcements enter later than turn 1 in an Op.

One other thing about the briefings is that briefings are handled the same in both scenarios and operations. I am working on a new Red Devils at Arnhem op, and I sure would like to be able to have a new briefing either every scenario or at least every few scenarios, but the game only allowsa single briefing for the entire operation.

Jeff Heidman

Thanks for the support Marcusm!!! smile.gif Actually youre right, a type of medals reward would be right on! (Heres where I admit to reading a LOT of Stephen Ambrose books) It seems that not a whole lot of medals were given out, at least not on the same scale as in recent wars...and as far as promotions,,,hmmmm dead mans shoes,,,

Havermeyer,,,LOL right on target about the MI weinies,,,but capt dragoon its tactical intel!!! Trust us!