Battlefield trips

Hey all,

I am an avid student of the ACW and have reenacted for years as well as taken many battlefield trips.  Over the years I have visited tons of them and have been to almost all of the majors and many of the minors. Two weeks ago I took another and finally visited one I have been dying to see but never had been to before. Here's a couple pics.  Bonus points if you can name the battlefields where these were taken.  I walked in some truly inspiring and powerful places.

kSY_6K0JcQOUA0sjBP40yMHdE52paTIOsGFLweoq

xnA1wf8Y-0EZRb0hao--JJBpt8AEkAKCJ28SkkTi

Za2BKDP3yU5Q24AfDh7F8yYvw9MuwvsJdkadnorO

N1lPQ0SdZTqqhKdImG22BDBT8dFSgR-7Kw2GOLtD

EWo9T03W9JbQSDSKEsBZS1gt-61lfJjs1gi1u-7w

64c1F8ZZ4Z8zLKI4AdtK6ADZPuadhfKkQAhlaC0J

7I4Hkctt9WqpoqFI_2iF9BvwUJNDwspJKK7Ajzct

87lw3WhJsvpWojsgAFKPIPkrk0meSPTtW0EwldCi

zMBxeKefrJpbY7UiCuPIc1XbzmrTH0ayuM3TDpTH

-w52zzD8BeBTOcp2WBXCElqjjFVvqsfloJpM6aR5

Edited by Phantom Captain

Trying again...

Hey all,

I am an avid student of the ACW and have reenacted for years as well as taken many battlefield trips.  Over the years I have visited tons of them and have been to almost all of the majors and many of the minors. Two weeks ago I took another and finally visited one I have been dying to see but never had been to before. Here's a couple pics.  Bonus points if you can name the battlefields where these were taken.  I walked in some truly inspiring and powerful places.

20211019-101247.jpg

20211019-101403.jpg

20211019-101813.jpg

20211019-103138.jpg

20211019-091704.jpg

20211020-110958.jpg

20211020-111009.jpg

20211020-112209.jpg

20211020-145618.jpg

20211018-092215.jpg

20211018-092940.jpg

20211018-095617.jpg

20211018-152406.jpg

5 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Great pics.  Have only had the opportunity to visit Gettysberg so far.  That pic of the Rebels turning back a Union attack looks like amazing good miniatures.

Thanks!  The diorama/painting was at the park main office.  The figures are incredibly well done and it blends perfectly with the painting behind it.  It's actually the opposite, it's the Union soldiers holding back repeated attacks on the Hornet's Nest at Shiloh.  The first five pictures are the Sunken Road at Shiloh and the thicket you see in the distance is the Hornet's Nest.  

I have been to soo many battlefields and I take so much time walking them.  One of my favorite getaways, especially when you have read and know what happened in these places.

Ok, so the first five are at Shiloh, Tennessee.  I spent all day there but only posted these pics around the Sunken Road (which is not sunken as you see and no one really knows why it got that name) and Hornet's Nest.  Shiloh is one of my favorites in that it is still in the middle of nowhere and the battlefield looks pretty much as it did back at that time.  It's ironic how beautiful and peaceful these places are now when they were the scenes of so much death and destruction.

The next four are from Vicksburg, Mississippi and Grant's incredible campaign.  The second Vicksburg picture you can still see the trenches dug by Union soldiers a bit in the distance behind the line of guns.  Vicksburg was the last major battlefield that I had yet to visit.  It's kind of out of the way to get to unless you are specifically going there so it was always just out of reach.  It's now one of my favorites.  Vicksburg is truly remarkable and powerful.  Most of the works and trenches are all still there and have been preserved as well.  It's impressive.

The last pic of the Vicksburg four is from the Confederated perspective in the Square Fort.  You can see the monuments marking the Union line across the way.  In between was all no-man's land.  They were that close for the 47 days of the siege.

The final pictures are from Franklin, Tennessee which fascinates me more than almost any other battle.  The town of Franklin has swallowed up the battlefield over time but there has been some amazing restoration and now the Carter House and Yard and the area around the Pike and where the Cotton Gin used to be are now all open and preserved.  If you notice, in the picture of the guns pointed out at road, the line of gravel in some of these pics is what marks the location of where the Federal works were. These pictures, this small little area, saw some of the most absolutely brutal fighting of the whole war and in only 5 hours.  There were 7,500 Confederates shot down in front of the Union works where the Union only lost around 2,500.  It was the crushing blow that pretty much ended the Army of Tennessee.  The Carter Farm office is the white building and has been preserved down to the bullet holes still being there.  I did a private tour and was let into the office to get the picture of the light coming through the holes.

Edited by Phantom Captain