Close-in Defense German Infantry?

What would you guys consider to be the best choice for close-in infantry? I like to defend at night or in fog (just a personal preference)and have tried various grouping of units (found out the hard way that night and fog don't or shouldn't mix when you've selected a bunch of MG-42's that can't see more than 5m in front of them.

Fallschirmjaeger squads seem to do pretty well, with SS not far behind, but what would be the best to pick in low-visibility defensive positions?

From the perspective of "firepower over the range of likely engagement distances" Gebirgsjaeger reign supreme.

They also lose less of their firepower when 1 or 2 guys go down than a Fusilier SMG sqsuad.

Still, it still ALL comes down to the ability of the player. I've whipped Elite British Paras with Conscript Sicherung squads ( one of the Arnhem scenarios.,.. I simply hugged the reverse slope, bunched my men up and massacred a couple of platoons of red berets before falling back across the bridge.

I vote for the Security Squads. Killed about five (slightly understrenght) Am Rifle squads in woods and tall pines with only one squad of them (not fanatic).

------------------

Ron

No pain, no game!