Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Desert sun filter or mod?

I'm not techie enough to understand the full ramifications of this, but has anyone worked up any kind of mod to intensify the brightness of the lighting to reflect actual peak sun desert conditions?  (I know folks have altered screenshots, that's not what I'm looking for)

The in game sunlight is far too subdued. Anyone who has spent time in the desert, or the tropics for that matter, will know exactly what I am talking about.

Hot town, summer in the City....

Settings: Noonday, Clear, Very Dry, Extreme Heat, early July

pyHm4AI.png

That bubba should be absolutely cooking, lying on the ground like that. If he tried it on the tarmac, his buddies would need to pull him off (and that ambulance would come in handy).

Anyway, setting aside an ambient heat shimmer (which would be totally hawt too!), is there a desert sun mod out there that I've missed? I note the cool (though CPU intensive) ambient rolling cloud effect in the H&E mod set.

(And no, this isn't a This Game Is Broken© kvetch, just an inquiry. Nothing is written!)

White light, blazing heat, through the wasteland searching we....

I'm pretty certain the H&E skybox is resource neutral as any HD textures (say Aris's HD clouds) were reduced back down to standard CM resolutions.

Either way, the best way to get extra ambient light is with reshade... I almost always use a bloom effect (with a relatively high threshold) which will lighten up the brightest areas of your screen (usually the sky) but there's also a dedicated ambient light effect* (although I find it a little too expensive FPS wise).

My Blooms tend to be fairly subtle but you can easily crank them up.

Movie Mode is also another way to get more contrast between the sky & the ground... I often use Barbarico's shader mods & they are inevbitably part of any mod compilation I use (including H&E).

*There's also an effect which will bathe the sky with red light for dawn/dusk... but I haven't played around much with that effect.

2 hours ago, 37mm said:

I'm pretty certain the H&E skybox is resource neutral as any HD textures (say Aris's HD clouds) were reduced back down to standard CM resolutions.

Either way, the best way to get extra ambient light is with reshade... I almost always use a bloom effect (with a relatively high threshold) which will lighten up the brightest areas of your screen (usually the sky) but there's also a dedicated ambient light effect* (although I find it a little too expensive FPS wise).

My Blooms tend to be fairly subtle but you can easily crank them up.

Movie Mode is also another way to get more contrast between the sky & the ground... I often use Barbarico's shader mods & they are inevbitably part of any mod compilation I use (including H&E).

*There's also an effect which will bathe the sky with red light for dawn/dusk... but I haven't played around much with that effect.

Hmm, let reconfirm before slandering your outstanding work, but my Powerbook fan was running full blast when I tried including the H&E SpecialEffects folder in my Ramadi mod set.

As to the rest, I have no idea what any of that is lol. If it isn't in the control panel then I it's beyond my competence. Although that tiny (backblast?) flames effect in minute 6:50 of your video (HUGE fan btw, first time caller) is pretty awesome.

* And the old saying goes, 'Red skies at night, red skies at night, wo-ho, wo-ho-ho-hohoho-hoho.' (sorry, that CMCW Eighties song thread is living rent free inside my head)

Edited by LongLeftFlank

30 minutes ago, LongLeftFlank said:

Hmm, let reconfirm before slandering your outstanding work, but my Powerbook fan was running full blast when I tried including the H&E SpecialEffects folder in my Ramadi mod set.

I'm certain that will be the map (and all the flavour objects) itself... there's nothing in the special effects folder which is any larger than standard CM bitmaps... oh no... I tell a lie, the flames are still HD.

ALT+M will activate Movie Mode... if you're using the SFX folder from H&E, barbarico's movie mode filters will be in there.

Reshade is an interesting topic but I don't think there's a Mac equivalent (indeed my understanding is that Barbarico, being a mac user too, made his movie mode filters for just that reason).

I think that "backblast" was 50 cal fire penetrating the roof... 50 cals seem to set a lot of small fires off.

Edited by 37mm