School of hard knocks.

I got the AI to surrender on my first playthrough. The key is to be patient, scout with a platoon or two (and accept that they are going to get torn to pieces) and uncover and destroy as many AT positions as possible before committing your tanks, and mortar any position that looks like it would be ideal for gun positions. I knocked one out that way with a preplanned strike (guessed correctly). I lost a few tanks, one to mines IIRC and another bogged.

I also put a harass/max barrage on the objective to suppress any FOs or MGs. This video basically sums up how to approach this mission (and I didn't find it until after I had played it, he was a bit more aggressive than I was) 

MMM

My tip Artillery on Light and Long. That way you can isolate targets of opportunity as they appear. With bridges isolate the bridge with smoke. Not only this game but in general. Remember some HQ units eg MG's can call in at least mortars. The Mortar Team comes with a radio one echelon up that HQ doesn't have a radio but can still call-in strikes, this is the guy you send up to the KT for observation. The no radio issue has been raised it is just the generic nature of the game. 

Edited by chuckdyke

Yes, it is usually much quicker to retarget arty rather than start a new call.  Of course you have to be able to move your spotter/FO so you can retarget where is needed.

However, one tactic I have found that works well is while the FO is moving and (before any shells are usedone can retarget numerous times on any visible location so that means that when the FO gets to the desired location, he can do a final retarget to FFE.

I use it for opportunity targets most of the time mortars. HMG HQ is an example. Call a linear target he engages with HMG fire and get fired upon on he will now target his threat with an adjustment and seek cover. He gets out of cover when the shells start dropping on his threat. HMG HQ don't need a radio for calling in support. This tactic could have been preplanned. Have some house rules for this. An FO is in visual contact and would hypothetically relay his support request. The FO is still available to call in heavy artillery.