Mod Issue?

AVR

Anyone else have an issue where some of the vehicle or uniform cosmetic mods result in a pitch black gfx like below?

Untitled.png.0c971e192b8d8d86695e6994a86b7e24.png

This is from the "Lucky_Strike’s - EZ’s Heer Panzer Crew with HBT uniforms and more!" mod but I've experienced it before with individuals vehicles too.

What game? A lot of the graphics/textures have changed or been renamed in the new module for RT, Fire and Rubble.  If you have mods in the game, you are likely going to run into this problem. Try cleaning out your mod files and running the game just to confirm it is or is not mod-related. (99-to-1 says it is.😉)

If it is another game family, it still most likely mod related. This will happen when your mod has fewer than the default number of uniforms in the game (not likely here cuz crews usually don’t have more than one or two uniforms), or if you were using one mod for a while, played some turns of a battle, then swapped out those mods for another with fewer uniforms, and went back and continued playing that scenario.

Hope that makes sense. Best to take out your mod folder (or at least that crew mod) and see what happens .

Cheers !

Thanks mjkerner.

This is in BN. Removing the mod fixes it I just couldn't figure out why I would get the black texture. I'll RezExplode the original game files and count the base textures and compare them to the number of textures in the mod.

On 4/28/2021 at 7:29 PM, AVR said:

Thanks mjkerner.

This is in BN. Removing the mod fixes it I just couldn't figure out why I would get the black texture. I'll RezExplode the original game files and count the base textures and compare them to the number of textures in the mod.

Just saw your post, did you fix this? I had this running earlier today when I was looking at another unconnected mod issue, didn't see anything odd. There should be more than enough textures in the mod to cover the number of textures in the vanilla install game set. It could be a clash of mods, do you have any other uniform mods installed besides?

As an aside, and you may or may not know this, so just in case you don't, if you want to attract a forum user's attention to a particular thread or post you can use the @ symbol followed by their user name, no space after the @, you get a pop-up list of possible names as you type eg @Lucky_Strike will ping me. 

On 4/30/2021 at 12:28 AM, Lucky_Strike said:

Just saw your post, did you fix this? I had this running earlier today when I was looking at another unconnected mod issue, didn't see anything odd. There should be more than enough textures in the mod to cover the number of textures in the vanilla install game set. It could be a clash of mods, do you have any other uniform mods installed besides?

As an aside, and you may or may not know this, so just in case you don't, if you want to attract a forum user's attention to a particular thread or post you can use the @ symbol followed by their user name, no space after the @, you get a pop-up list of possible names as you type eg @Lucky_Strike will ping me. 

Thanks @Lucky Strike , will use this approach in future.

I've got other uniform mods too but worked on the assumption that it'll load only 1 in order using the "Z" or "ZZZ" etc approach, did not realize that having two of the same could clash. I'll go through my mod and eliminate the duplicates I find (keeping yours off course 😉)

PS. Big fan of the Hedgerow Hell. Combined with Warmovie Advanced I spend more time watching the fighting than actually planning, analyzing or plotting moves.

18 hours ago, AVR said:

Thanks @Lucky Strike , will use this approach in future.

Arghh that's twice that other Lucky Strike fellow has got my ping lately. Who is he? 😉 Course the other way to get someone's attention is to quote them.

18 hours ago, AVR said:

I've got other uniform mods too but worked on the assumption that it'll load only 1 in order using the "Z" or "ZZZ" etc approach, did not realize that having two of the same could clash. I'll go through my mod and eliminate the duplicates I find (keeping yours off course 😉)

Folders load in alphanumeric order with everything z, zz, zzzz, zzzzzz etc always superseding whatever loaded before, that is files in folder zz will overwrite anything in folder z through z1, z2 etc through zy, zy1, zyz*. Basically what ever comes last in the naming order will overwrite folders that went before. So for example if you have a Z folder with files and folders inside then the load order would be:

Z (folder)

smod_german_wrap_crew-tank_uniform 3.bmp (a loose file will load in alphanumeric order as well, in this case it loads before everything else, ’s’ is before ‘U’)

Uniform mod 1 (a folder)

smod_german_wrap_crew-tank_uniform 2.bmp

smod_german_wrap_crew-tank_uniform 3.bmp (the space before the number ‘2’ or ‘3’ or ‘4’ makes these variations load before the unnumbered base file)

smod_german_wrap_crew-tank_uniform 4.bmp

smod_german_wrap_crew-tank_uniform.bmp

Uniform mod 2 (a folder - will load later because it’s name is alphanumerically later than ‘Uniform mod 1’

smod_german_wrap_crew-tank_uniform 3.bmp

zVariation (a folder - will load later than the files ONLY in the context of the folder containing it)

smod_german_wrap_crew-tank_uniform.bmp (will load after the version in the containing folder above)

zUniform mod 1 (a folder - z makes it, and it's contents load last, overwriting anything that came before)

In the example above everything in bold will load last and overwrite all the other file versions in game. The file ‘smod_german_wrap_crew-tank_uniform 4.bmp’ loads because none of the following folders have a version of that file. *This is where things get complicated - if mod folder B loading after mod folder A does not contain enough numbered files (variations of the texture) to cover those in the mod folder A OR the base game files, then the files in the earlier loading mod folder A or the base game will load and be used no matter how many zzzz’s are used naming later folders. If you expect to see a specific mod, AND ONLY THAT MOD, then you need to ensure it has enough file variations which will be loaded in preference to those in the base game or other mods. Example if the base game has the files:

Then the mod will also need to have the same set of files for you to see ONLY the mod and none of the base game files.

This is why having lots of mods can become a bit overwhelming if one just throws everything into a z folder, definitely need to apply a bit of housekeeping and logic to get the best out of the system. Sub-folders in your z folder with naming that means something to you is the way to go.

18 hours ago, AVR said:

PS. Big fan of the Hedgerow Hell. Combined with Warmovie Advanced I spend more time watching the fighting than actually planning, analyzing or plotting moves.

Hah - another tourist 😏 - one of my favourite activities is wondering around maps admiring the scenery!

Ahh - OK! I Get it. Seems I got some work to do organizing the folders. Appreciate you taking the time to help out a technical incompetent - thanks @Lucky_Strike

By the weekend I wont have anymore Batman wannabe's or bat-mobile's cruising around the battlefield.

5 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Hah - another tourist 😏 - one of my favourite activities is wondering around maps admiring the scenery!

Just imagine if some of that scenery was able to catch fire - with pixeltruppen fleeing a coming inferno.