Why not a point to point LOS tool?

On 4/26/2021 at 9:28 AM, mjkerner said:

But why do you want such precision, unless for competitive-tournament type play (when your opponent would have the exact same advantage). Different strokes for different folks, I guess. When I’m out walking in the countryside/woods/whatever, I don’t know if I have LOS to that house over there from that little hump of an elevation with some trees on it 75 yards to my left. From here it looks like it does, but I won’t know until I get over there. Same for my pixeltruppen. I can recon with my eyes, the targeting tool, and with my P-truppen, but I don’t expect to know with precision ahead of time if when I get to a spot I actually have LOS or LOF.

Part of the issue with CM is that you are playing from multiple roles.

You are the Coy Commander
You are the Plt Leader
You are the SL
You are the FTL
You are the lone soldier with a panzerfaust

You wear a lot of hats and what makes sense from one perspective doesn't from another, and that Tac-AI while decent at being reactive as no sense of continuity or planning.

------

A target LOS tool that let you set:
Spotter height
Target height

Would be a boon - especially because CM is not actually 1:1 but has a lot of fuzziness built into the spotting.

14 minutes ago, Pelican Pal said:

A target LOS tool that let you set:
Spotter height
Target height

I let the HQ do the spotting and if artillery is available use that tool to check where the HQ can call a strike. LOS tool doesn't tell you the whole story, he may say No LOS because you can't spot hiding infantry in that position. It calculates visibility in relation to the terrain tiles. I agree there is a lot of fuzziness into the spotting. 

Personally, I like a point to LOS fan.  But I can see why they definitely would not include that, because in RTS CM (I am a WEGO guy), I think that would put a big load on the CPU.  But you can spend a lot of time probing with a point to point tool where as a fan, tells you what want to know fast.