Mac OS X and CM

Howdy,

I'm in something of a pickle. I love Combat Mission... and I love the Mac OS X Public Beta. However, as CM doesn't seem to work in Classic (even if it did, no 3D acceleration), I have to restart into Mac OS 9 whenever I need my fix. This is more than a wee bit annoying, especially if I have servers running on X which I can't have going down.

Any word on when Combat Mission will be Carbonized? It'll have to happen sooner or later... X will be Apple's main OS by the time CM2 comes out.

Thanks,

Doc

Not to be rude, but you must have misunderstood my post.

Combat Mission will not run in Classic. If I have OS 9 on my HD, it will still be Classic. If I have it on a CD, it will still be Classic. If I have it on a FireWire drive, it will still be Classic.

No matter what media I store 9 on, I still have to restart into it to run CM.

Though I obviously can't speak for BTS in any official capacity...

I believe that CM2 will probably be "Carbonized", but that CMBO will not be. It will probably take quite a bit of programming to carbonize CM (a good number of RAVE calls may have to be changed, etc.). This may be beyond what Charles would want to do for a patch. So I would guess that Charles will look into the compatibility issues to get CM2 to run under OS X (still using RAVE as the API). At some point, I guess, Charles will look into using OpenGL as the API instead of RAVE (and possibly DirectX, depending on the availability of OpenGL and most cards ability to "accelerate" it).

There is a fix for this, but even if there weren't, don't forget the 'beta' bit. You can't expect OS X to work properly at this stage, and if you're serious about your computer you should really be sticking with OS 9 until X is finalised.

David

------------------

...the pilot was able to circle and make a safe belly landing. According to O'Neal, 'this guy jumped out and ran up to me, shouting, "Give me a gun, quick! I know right where that Kraut s.o.b. is and I'm gonna get him".'