A War Without Mercy (FB).

Back to CM, where there are no explicitly modeled SF or listening devices available 😉

What I referenced regarding sound is actually something which CMx2 doesn't model but what is possible in real life: that you can hear gunfire, without having a clue where exactly it's coming from but still you know it is being fired in anger.

So for example there is this village which higher up wants to be cleared. Chuck is the Plt. HQ responsible for this task. While he is doing his 'leaders recon' thing ;-), he has send some scouts left and right around the village. Suddenly he hears heavy gunfire coming from inside the village, although he doesn't have a clue where exactly he has some sense of the direction. How does the Plt HQ go ahead and how does he take in account this new bit of info? 

Without exploring all options I guess if Chuck values his men well being, he's going order them to hose down all buildings in the general direction before moving through the streets. He might call in mortars or artillery, whatever. 
Anyway he'd be ordering 'area fire' on buildings he doesn't even see yet, let alone have a 'spotting contact' in CM terms. 

This is different compared to when for example scout team A spots an enemy sniper lying on a roof and areafiring it next turn with some other unit who doesn't have any info about that sniper yet. In that case yes I agree it's more realistic to have the scout team report / share c2 info, before you have it area fired with a Tank or whatever.

Edited by Lethaface

13 hours ago, Lethaface said:

Back to CM, where there are no explicitly modeled SF or listening devices available 😉

What I referenced regarding sound is actually something which CMx2 doesn't model but what is possible in real life: that you can hear gunfire, without having a clue where exactly it's coming from but still you know it is being fired in anger.

So for example there is this village which higher up wants to be cleared. Chuck is the Plt. HQ responsible for this task. While he is doing his 'leaders recon' thing ;-), he has send some scouts left and right around the village. Suddenly he hears heavy gunfire coming from inside the village, although he doesn't have a clue where exactly he has some sense of the direction. How does the Plt HQ go ahead and how does he take in account this new bit of info? 

Without exploring all options I guess if Chuck values his men well being, he's going order them to hose down all buildings in the general direction before moving through the streets. He might call in mortars or artillery, whatever. 
Anyway he'd be ordering 'area fire' on buildings he doesn't even see yet, let alone have a 'spotting contact' in CM terms. 

This is different compared to when for example scout team A spots an enemy sniper lying on a roof and areafiring it next turn with some other unit who doesn't have any info about that sniper yet. In that case yes I agree it's more realistic to have the scout team report / share c2 info, before you have it area fired with a Tank or whatever.

True and easy to solve that one. Click the unit and if he can hear the fire go for it if there is no terrain feature in between. 

6 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

True and easy to solve that one. Click the unit and if he can hear the fire go for it if there is no terrain feature in between. 

Which is what I do, of course! :)

And one of the reasons why I think it would be cool the play a PBEM with the hardcat rules, as those are quite detailed/nuanced and allow for such situations iirc.

3 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

Which is what I do, of course! :)

And one of the reasons why I think it would be cool the play a PBEM with the hardcat rules, as those are quite detailed/nuanced and allow for such situations iirc.

Up to the individual, rules vary from game to game. I respectfully disagree with the cover arc rule. Single soldier out of contact? For him it is Camera Position 1. They have binoculars? I assume they also have a map (Camera 1 and 5). Camera 2-3 depends on the location. We are finetuning because you need a playable game but overal it is fine. Units out of contact have a duty to report back. Camera positions according to your location within the area of operations. How it came into being? One day we called in an airstrike and decided we use Camera 4 only if we have aircover in the vicinity. Also it makes you occupy KT and put scouts on roofs etc. But it only applies if you play in my house on Hotseat.