tank crew should get back on...

35 minutes ago, IanL said:

You would think :D

I'm sure you are mostly correct a truck is a truck is a truck - as long as you know where to put the leavers you should be able to drive it at least a little bit. Backing up with a trailer - that takes some learning / practice.

From what I remember large trucks used to have like 15+ gears 1abc2abd [...]5abc (try to drive those!), but not sure if the army trucks are similar. I'd expect they'd put up requirements more like a 1,2,3,4,5 gearbox. And 2021 style is more towards automatic gears I'd expect. 
Edit: backing up while maneuvering with trailers is a bitch though (even with normal car). Driving those large trucks properly is a profession for a reason.

Edited by Lethaface

The issue is the driver can only bailout and not dismount like a RL driver. Then again scripting a game like this is not for everybody. World War Europe most people didn't have a car and the trucks you had to change gears by double clutching. But if a Panzer Grenadier can drive his halftrack, he should be able to drive an Opel Blitz.  

On 2/10/2021 at 11:38 AM, Lethaface said:

And 2021 style is more towards automatic gears I'd expect. 

When I was in the US Army in the early 2000s, all of the trucks and Humvees were fully automatic. Any that were still manual transmission at that point were probably just in National Guard units.

EDIT: nevermind, it turns out M809s were still in service in Afghanistan. 😮 

2880px-Defense.gov_News_Photo_060409-A-0

Edited by LukeFF