Challenge - Can you win as Syrians in "UK H2H British Armour Mix vs Syrian Armour Mix" ?

THH149

Winning or drawing as the Syrians against the Brit AI in the scenario is really tough, and I've come to doubt whether it's even possible!

Can you do it?

Post a screen shot and let us know how you go!

Don't bother playing as the Brit (unless you're a beginner) 'cos its way to easy!

This is a theoretical exercise about whether its possible or not, we need to see a screen shot and hear your story.

Best

THH

Looks like an interesting map. I like looking for low/mid-length maps for streaming on occasion so I'll add it to the list.

I did open it up for the initial setup (which I always do off-stream as sometimes it takes a long while). My initial setup currently (pre-review) is to fill the APCs with MGs/mortarguns and run them to hotspots. Not sure yet where to place the tanks and infantry. The main road seems to be an obvious deathtrap for the Syrians so I'm steering clear and heading into the village as fast as I possibly can. The briefing is extremely short and vague so it seems pretty structured for PBEM though AI stuff can be interesting as well.

I can't see how you can play Real Time in medium, large, or huge scenarios. I play on Iron and need every little piece of intelligence. Check every single trooper you spot. Some moves are just too risky to allow a full minute, pause a unit for 45 seconds before rushing to attract fire for example. I managed with 3 Challengers to shoot an ATGM out of the sky. Just by plotting till the last 15 seconds enabled me to make the defensive measures at the start of the next turn. A huge game can take days, I am a junior member. In this game teamwork is the essence FiST, FO's, TAC and Snipers work as a team. Play the game with the parameters of Norman Schwarzkopf one body bag is one too many. 

Edited by chuckdyke

That's actually a very good point.....It might be possible to make this scenario more balanced for HtH play (or Blue vs AI) with brutal casualty parameters for the British force (imagine what the tabloids would say), plus strict ROE combined with plenty of preserve objectives (some of them hidden) to represent the need to avoid collateral damage and harm to civilans.

However it would then be ridiculously easy to win the scenario as Red vs AI, because the AI is thick and it doesn't much care about casualties.  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

14 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

CM is kind of technical, if you can't tell, or don't care about, the difference between an APC and an armoured car, you are going to be in for a good hiding.  ;)

More the case that I don't know the names off hand so go with colloquial terms. BRDM is not one I keep in the memory bank -- it's vaguely armored and it's carrying a few personnel. Good enough for me 😁. As far as I'm concerned, if it's in the Syrian TOE then it's evaporating on contact regardless of designation.

10 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

I can't see how you can play Real Time in medium, large, or huge scenarios.

I know what you mean, its scary to play real time cos so many things are being missed in the game, and ill judged moves are made. I guess the only observation or learning I can share is that the strategy has to be good and tactics strong so a few mistakes don't stuff the chances of a win completely. Real time against the AI is one degree of difficulty but LAN play is even harder.  

WeGo you don't have to sit by for a minute. 45 seconds pause and the last 15 seconds is often a wise move to make. I am 70 now and people would be bored watching my game. I achieved no body bags only twice. I really enjoy large and huge scenarios and yes, it is on Iron and WeGo and place myself in the shoes of a scout or assault team. Today I will run out of time I am afraid, but I had fun. Kind regards play the game as you would do it for real and you can't go wrong. The important thing is you have fun and if it is on RTS good luck. Squad level decisions camera position 1, the FO read his PDA and I use Camera position 5-9. Plotting moves Camera Position 2-3   

10 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

I am retired and have fun playing Hotseat against another guy. Playing the AI is an apprenticeship, in Hotseat it is a combination of poker and chess. 

Give the Syrians a go in this Challenge against Brit AI, your wont be disappointed by the tension! And dont forget to screen shot and post your result.

Best

THH

You must understand the editor. The person who makes the scenario how many battle-plans he used for his scenario? Some games are just not suitable I have no experience playing as Syrian whatsoever. I found the AI horrible as an attacker and the Syrian army is not equipped to be an attacker. They will use the Iraqi solution let the high-tech invader enter their territory and burn up their resources inside the cities. Hot-Seat is the most enjoyable way to play this game, next attack as blue against a well-designed scenario. To attack as Syrian would be a suicide mission at best. I would as Syrian not move and let NATO attack. My human opponent plays as Syrian and he usually withdraws his troopers in time. I need to mask my spotting artillery with harassing barrages for example. Against the AI you don't need to do it.   

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats but the parameters are 25 % losses for the Brits or something like that? The Vietnam war was lost because of the parameters and no battle was lost. It is the dilemma of modern warfare. The Australian SAS is in trouble because of an alleged breach in rules of engagement. Already found guilty without a judge or jury. This is my rant for the day. I must give editing a go I understand it is to make a combination of battle plans. I like the game 'The Full Monty' found the key is don't engage without Arty, Choppers and later Fighter Bombers. One body bag is one too many I already have a few wounded. See the enemy, see the terrain, and see your troops. Easier said than done. Continue my rant. Afghanistan easy to beat special forces as the Taliban. Find a platoon and surrender to a Special Forces patrol. Their mission (Special Forces Patrol) is stuffed, by international law they must even defend them and share their rations. it is ridiculous glad I am seventy and only play the game. 

6 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Congrats but the parameters are 25 % losses for the Brits or something like that?

Massively too high IMHO.....I'd set them at 5-10% maximum (the loss of a single Challenger II should probably result in a defeat). 

The loss of three Challengers would represent about 1% of the total UK MBT force.....The loss of even a single Challenger II would be headline news, hell even damaging one warrants a report by the beeb:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6583607.stm

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

23 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

the parameters are 25 % losses for the Brits or something like that?

Nope, the only victory condition is the control of the objective zone, nothing else matters, so its a knock down drag 'em out fight! Fantastic!

Especially as the Brits mainly sit and defend, but having said that one Challenger actually moved from its position and drove down a hill amongst the Syrian's which promptly RPG'ed it, scratch one Challenger. Something in the AI plan or the unit AI may have triggered it, maybe some red forces a bit further away and didnt see the closer Red squads Hiding nearby.