A Criticism of Sound Contacts.

10 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I guess we'll each have to live with our interpretations.

Instead of vaguely hinting at interpretations, why don't you just set up a simple test? Put some infantry behind a tall wall where they can't see anything. Then drive a tank around on the other side and notice what kind of contact marker they get. You will find that infantry pick up and pinpoint enemy vehicle movement at about 300m.

2 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Instead of vaguely hinting at interpretations, why don't you just set up a simple test?

You clearly haven't been reading my posts very carefully:

On 11/29/2020 at 1:06 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I know this because I've been performing very thorough LOS & C2 related testing on a very large map while we've been having this 'discussion'. 

So I find this extremely unconvincing:

2 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

You will find that infantry pick up and pinpoint enemy vehicle movement at about 300m.

Because it just doesn't match my own findings in a simple night battle.

A T-55 tank at signficantly less than that distance remained unspotted until it fired its main gun.....The co-ax had been firing for some time yet units with clear unobstructed LOS to the tank (in one case a unit on the receiving end of the co-ax fire) had no idea where it was, until it let loose with the 100mm cannon.

If what you are suggesting is correct surely they should have received a 'Sound Contact' as soon as the co-ax sparked up, as should all other units within the same distance.....This did not happen.  The only units to gain a 'Tentative Contact' on the tank were those that had clear LOS to it at the instant it fired its main gun (including a unit well over a kilometer away, with no binoculars).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

30 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

You clearly haven't been reading my posts very carefully:

26 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

If what you are suggesting is correct surely they should have received a 'Sound Contact' as soon as the co-ax sparked up

If you had been reading my posts (and the original post), you'd see that we are talking about the sound contacts caused by tanks moving around. Not firing.

The spotting/contact markers caused by firing tanks is another story. That is based on LOS and spotting muzzle flashes, as far as I know. That seems to be the reason why you get the contact marker when you fire the 100mm gun, and not the machinegun.

6 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Because it just doesn't match my own findings in a simple night battle.

A T-55 tank at signficantly less than that distance remained unspotted until it fired its main gun.....The co-ax had been firing for some time yet units with clear unobstructed LOS to the tank (in one case a unit on the receiving end of the co-ax fire) had no idea where it was, until it let loose with the 100mm cannon.

If what you are suggesting is correct surely they should have received a 'Sound Contact' as soon as the co-ax sparked up, as should all other units within the same distance.....This did not happen.  The only units to gain a 'Tentative Contact' on the tank were those that had clear LOS to it at the instant it fired its main gun (including a unit well over a kilometer away, with no binoculars).

Edited 6 hours ago by Sgt.Squarehead

not necessarily, if the tank is moving at slow speed the sound contact wont pick up as easily and if stopped with hide on it simulates a very low noise profile.

tank not moving with hide on = lowest sound profile, very hard to detect

tank moving fast = highest sound profile, easily detectected