Exit points

Hang on a cotton picking minute.

Just played a scenario with objective points, casualty points, and exit points available.

My boys won without getting their hair mussed.

Except they didn't. The enemy surrendered (with about 45 minutes to go) and all I got was a tactical victory.

It appears I didn't get any exit points (presumably because no-one exited).

Or at least I don't think I did.

Is that supposed to happen?

7 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

You don't score points for exiting units as a rule.....Normally the enemy scores points for preventing you from doing so.

Well the enemy got quite a lot of points so maybe that's correct (although I'm sure it said I would get them in the briefing).

With a surrender & total victory it doesn't much matter TBH.

22 minutes ago, John1966 said:

(although I'm sure it said I would get them in the briefing)

That's not how the mechanics of an exit objective typically work.....To do that would require two objectives (Exit & Touch) layered on top of each other.

Did your units vanish when they entered the marked objective?

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Just now, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Did your units vanish when they entered the marked objective?

No, because they never attempted to exit.

The British surrendered 45 minutes before the end.

That's why I'm bemused. It awarded me the objective points and the points for destroying the enemy.

But one assumes you don't have to exit before the enemy ruin your plans by surrendering.

5 minutes ago, John1966 said:

It awarded me the objective points and the points for destroying the enemy.

That's because of the surrender AFAIK.....You get ALL the points.

The reason you didn't get points for exiting is beacuse there aren't any.

Try running the scenario again and ceasefire on the first turn.....The enemy should get a huge dollop of points because your units didn't exit (and because his troops didn't surrender).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

You get ALL the points.

I'd assume so but I only got a tactical victory.

Can't remember the exact numbers but I was over 1,000 and they were 800+.

As I didn't actually take many casualties (certainly less than the 15% it mentioned in the briefing), they must have got them for me not exiting anyone.

8 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That's because of the surrender AFAIK.....You get ALL the points.

Sorry, re-read what you said now.

Yes, I expect to get the objective and enemy casualty points if they surrendered.

But I don't expect to be penalised on the exit points for forcing an early surrender.

Edited by John1966

Oh, I could have sworn you typed Total.....Either way, here's how it normally work:

When an exit zone is present for one side on a map, any units listed as an enemy destroy objective must exit the map or they are considered destroyed and the enemy scores points for them.

I didn't believe this was the case for a surrender outcome, but from what you are saying it sounds like it might still be the case.

A screenshot of your results screens might clarify.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 minute ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

When an exit zone is present for one side on a map, any units listed as a destroy objective must exit the map or they are considered destroyed and the enemy scores points for them.

So if there's an exit objective, you have to be careful not to force a surrender?

That's nuts. My guys had 45 minutes to exit at their leisure without any opposition. But they couldn't because the surrender caused the game to end. 

Every unit was an exit unit. None of them exited because of the surrender. That's a lot of points. That can't be the intention. That's penalising you for winning too heavily.

3 minutes ago, John1966 said:

Every unit was an exit unit. None of them exited because of the surrender. That's a lot of points. That can't be the intention. That's penalising you for winning too heavily.

This is why I'd like to see your results screen or final turn save.....It was my understanding that the player would not be penalised for failure to exit in the event of a surrender.

If that really is not the case, I may have some scenarios to rework!  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 minute ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

This is why I'd like to see your results screen or final turn save.

Sorry. As the game was over it never occurred to me to save it.

(I'm rubbish at doing that)

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

It was my understanding that the player would not be penalised for failure to exit in the event of a surrender.

I'd have assumed the same. But here we are. ;)