OT- B17 2 Has gone Gold

Guest goonch

I think we're overlooking something here, guys. Of all the people who have previewed it and actually got their hands on it for some time have had nothing but positive remarks for it. Check out Viking1's preview at www.combatsim.com if you think I'm joking.

Yeah, there's no demo. Wayward stated that was a time constraint issue. Plus, it was Hasblo's choice, not Wayward's.

Yeah, there's no MP. That was also Hasblo's choice. In order to get the sim out this year they dropped it. Wayward has openly admitted to being just as disappointed about it as the rest of us are. I mean, come on, do you really think they founded and supported online squadrons just to pull the plug at the last minute?

I think that this sim is going to be engrossing and immersive as is physically possible. And I for one am looking forward to it.

------------------

Check out my B-17 fiction story at:

http://www.geocities.com/cdouglasn/TFTS.html

Gee ... does anyone remember the original B-17? B-17: Queen Of The Skies, the baord game by AH?

All this talk, I'm going to blow the dust off that one and give it a play. THAT, was the first.. and what all these computer games were based on, FWIW. And, it still plays great!

Thanks for bringing back the great memories. I have to go see if my B-17, King America, is still able to fly! biggrin.gif

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

The first one, by Microprose is what you all are talking about right? That was an awesome game back in the day. I remember playing that one forever, I could never land at my base though so i bailed or crashed every time frown.gif. If there is no multiplayer I would get it becasue there is always TFC and CS and FA out there that are great multiplayer, not to mention CM.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ntg84:

The first one, by Microprose is what you all are talking about right? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No! No! No! wink.gif

The first was B-17: Queen of the Skies. It was a board game published by Avalon Hill. This was before computers … the 1980s… that's when computers came out, right?? biggrin.gif

Anyway, it was a great game, where you rolled dice (this was a type of early random number generator) and moved chits and pieces on the mapboard (similar to the display we see on the CRT).

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

------------------

Doc

Yeah I used to play that. The thought of rolling for that flak still makes me shiver,and then there was those walking hits.....

Did you ever try "Pattons Best" also by Avalon Hill Dr Brian?

Similar in concept but swapping the B17 for a Sherman. Not nearly as much fun as Queen of the Skies though.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Magua:

Did you ever try "Pattons Best" also by Avalon Hill Dr Brian?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HELL YES! And that was the name of my Sherman too! wink.gif

But I agree, it wasn't nearly as riveting as B-17: Queen of The Skies... man, those walking hits sucked!

------------------

Doc

Ah yes, the good old days of solitare wargaming. Raid on St. Nazire, Patton's Best, B-17 and Ambush...and the vacuum cleaner, and digging through the bag (and the couch) trying to find that last counter that the cat probably has.

Now I know why I bought a computer.

Thanks for the memories guys.

Craig