license failure

CJH

Hello returning long time CM player, got the upgrade bundle for CMSF and the big bundle for some others that I have, However I'm having issues with CMSF atm (not even tried the others) and the game says license failure on launch. I've run the activator put in the new key then closed it run it put in the old base key then closed it run it and put in the dlc bundle key and it still says license failure.

What's going wrong?

BTW the link for manual activation is broken as well the page doesn't exist anymore the forum won't let me post the broken link.

For CMSF2 you'll need both the Upgrade license key(s) and all of the CMSF1 module license keys that you have. I would have assumed that it would have worked with just the base CMSF1 license key and the Upgrade license key; giving you access to just the base CMSF2 game. If you activated the Upgrade modules, you will need to put in the license keys for the original CMSF1 modules ?

You should get a 'success' window when a license key is activated and it should have green boxes with a text description in each one that lists what has been activated. Did you get this and do you recall what boxes were there in the success screen ? Unfortunately there is no way to recall this box without making a successful attempt at activating.

For the other CM games, if the games/modules have been activated on the computer earlier, then those activations should remain in effect. However if you have upgraded this computer (certain hardware changes or the Windows version) or the games have been moved to a new computer (without another activation having already occurred on this new computer), then the activations may be invalidated and you would need to reactivate them again. This sometimes requires an utility from the Battlefront Helpdesk that will wipe out the old activation to allow you to reactivate. With games that are at a 3.0 Upgrade level, you can apply the 'upgrade' installation to each game and then activate with the 4.0 Upgrade license key. If you are attempting a fresh install (new computer, etc.), then you will want to install the 'full installer' and you will need both the 3.0 Upgrade license key (or original base game license key if the base game purchase was at version 3.0 already), any module license key(s) and of course the 4.0 Upgrade license key. If you purchased the 3.0/4.0 Upgrade, then you will need (for a new install) the 2.0 Upgrade license key (for CMBN) or the original license key if the game was already at version 2.0 (all other CM games and later CMBN purchases).

Adding an activation to your license key disappeared quite awhile ago (newer versions of the DRM didn't work with the system) and I guess Manual Activations may have disappeared around the same time for possibly the same reason.

Edited by Schrullenhaft

The activation screen says:
Main Game
Marines Module (old v1)
British Module (old v1)
NATO Module (old v1)

This after putting in all the keys in different orders after trying the order the website without success (admin and AV disabled).

However it said old v1 after putting in the new key not the ones after and I'm sure I've bought the game after v1 along with black sea at the time (10/21/2015) from battlefront.

I have tried the black sea installer and the key did work had to do both the new then the old as the website says tho seem to be missing the battleback module which I'm sure I've played.

I'm very confused now and maybe should ask for a refund, this whole key thing always had issues. I remember buying the OG CD back at V1 in a store (which worked) and the Marines and British modules on CD from battlefront (which didn't) too with an account that's since been inaccessible.

Do I have any option for a refund because frankly this is what always put me off with these otherwise fantastic games?

Version 2 is the major update/redo/major overhaul/practically a new module of CMSF that came a out a few (3? 6?) months ago and known as CMSF2.  Getting all up-to-date you will have version 2.03.  But anyway, looks like you are on Version 1 if you haven't bought any CMSF since 2015.

You definitely got a weird result with CMSF licensing. The 'old v1' refers to CMSF1, which is a bit distinct from later CM games that had Upgrades available to them (v. 2.0, 3.0, etc.). CMSF1 never had any 'upgrades' until CMSF2 was released, which provides completely upgraded content (and has the the 4.x game engine). The upgrade that you purchased was the 'CMSF1 Big Bundle Upgrade' for US$35, correct ? If you didn't purchase the NATO module in the past, then this Upgrade will NOT provide that module (since it would require the CMSF1 NATO module license key). I'm not certain how the licensing/upgrade process works if you have a Paradox/retail version of CMSF1. When it came to CMSF1 originally, when you installed any of the modules your game became a Battlefront version (using Battlefront patches, etc.).

You'll want to open a ticket with the Helpdesk (click on the blue '+new ticket' in the upper right corner). With the CMSF1 Marines and British Forces DVDs, the license key was usually printed on a sticker attached to the CD/DVD case (I assume you've found those). You'll want to provide the license key you have for the current CMSF2 Upgrade and hopefully support can figure out what is going on with it (perhaps it is incorrect for the specific upgrade product).

Edited by Schrullenhaft

I assume you have the old license keys, is that correct ? If not, the Helpdesk can possibly help you there too. Hopefully you have an idea what email accounts you've used in that past since the old Store account should be associated with one of those. Your old accounts should have been moved over to the new site (even if you haven't logged into them in a long time).

Edited by Schrullenhaft

Yes I have the keys from the digital orders I've made and tried them, Black sea seems to be missing a module I'm sure I've played because I specifically recall two icons down along the bottom of the menu screen.

CMSF accepts the keys but then has an error when I actually start the program.

The only other content for CMBS is the 'Battle Pack'. Use the 'Activate New Products' shortcut for CMBS and use the Battle Pack license key and see if that activates. I don't think the 4.0 Upgrade should have gotten rid of that activation, but you can simply activate again.

I'm not sure what CMSF2 would do if you only successfully activate the 'old v1' license keys and not the new one(s). Basically it should have played with just the 'base game' and 'base game v1' license keys, but something seems amiss here. If the list of activated license keys is correct, then you're missing all of the 'new' activation icons for each of the modules (which should have shown up with the new license key being put in for activation). You may need to have the Helpdesk provide the gsClean utilities to wipe out all of the CMSF1/2 activations and start over. They will definitely need to check the license key to make sure it is valid and has activations remaining.

I recall deactivating the licenses prior to reformatting the computer however I've activated these keys many times this morning before going to bed trying to get this to work,
Recall the window for activating the keys is quite different from last time.

Sent a message via help desk so hopefully will be able to make progress there, tried one suggestion from the battlefront guys so far without success.
Will try the other installers and keys to see if all goes well for those games (BN & RT).