How to fight from the Universal Carrier

This is part of a five part series on the UC. This illustrates everything from Bren handling to grenade throwing from inside the carrier. Of particular note is the material on the 2" mortar, which has a specially drilled set of mounting holes to firmly attach it to the UC. No standard 2" mortar will work. When so fitted, the UC has twelve rounds for it, and the ammo split's given. The procedure for conducting observed fire by the VC with the mortar in full defilade is shown, as is use of the mortar in DF role. The first video in the series is the get acquainted one, and it shows the dazzling agility of this vehicle. For large radius turns, the track on the turning side is actually pulled in a bit. For short, sharp turns, one track is braked. So nimble is the UC it can reverse course near instantly. Short of having an autocannon or HMG, I'd think it would be a nightmare to hit if evading.

Regards,

John Kettler

Erwin,

My reply was premised on what you said about using it like a bazooka. Suspect you could severely damage or kill light AFVs that way and absolutely clobber soft skins. Depending on where you hit, larger quary might be doable, too, especially via hitting tracks or other running gear. As the training film showed, DF is an excellent way to put smoke right where it's needed. All in all, I think having the mortar installed and able to fire in IF and DF was a great idea. The CW forces could and did do the same with the standard 2-Inch Mortar, but DF was trickier because something stout (wall, tree trunk, big rock, etc.) had to take the recoil.

Regards,

John Kettler

Thanks for sharing.  Very insightful. Really interesting such detail was documented, let alone on film.  Doubt many knew the UC was that versatile and used in that manner. I wonder if it was in actual combat.

...and remember: When in doubt, dismount! LOL!

Edited by Lt Bull