Artillery Observation Bug?

I'm playing through the Road to Monteburg, 

I'm having some trouble with my arty observation, it is quite clear that the units have line of sight, as they have line of fire and are spotting.  I'm unable to use the same units (HQ units) to call indirect fire on the units which they themselves can use direct fire!  This is quite frustrating, as it makes it very hard to call arty down on enemy positions in hedgerows, does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm also struggling with having units get a man or two stuck and left behind .  Are there any particular situations which cause this?  Is it just this map?

Thanks, 

Edited by 7thGalaxy

5 hours ago, 7thGalaxy said:

struggling with having units get a man or two stuck and left behind

This tends to happen when one makes long distance waypoints around difficult terrain.  Short waypoints should help.  To get the unit to recombine, you'll have to run the main force back to where the laggard is and then make short waypoints around the difficult terrain so the entire unit can stay together.

5 hours ago, 7thGalaxy said:

it is quite clear that the units have line of sight, as they have line of fire and are spotting

LOS can be very frustrating in CM2.  Stance makes a huge difference.  eg:  A running unit will see and spot an enemy but as soon as the men stop and kneel or lie down they lose LOS.  Similarly, the 3rd ammo carrier of an MG team can see and shoot at an enemy, but one is frustrated that the MG itself cannot (cos the gunner is a couple of inches to the right or left). 

It could be that the radio op can see and shoot at the enemy but the guy actually required for spotting and calling for indirect fire cannot.  Not sure what your specific situation is...  

6 hours ago, 7thGalaxy said:

I'm having some trouble with my arty observation, it is quite clear that the units have line of sight, as they have line of fire and are spotting.  I'm unable to use the same units (HQ units) to call indirect fire on the units which they themselves can use direct fire!  

A lot of possibilities so a lot of questions to try and figure it out. 

What is the HQ unit (Company HQ, Platoon HQ, Weapon Company HQ, etc.)? 

What are the indirect fire assets and are they on or off map (off map 105mm, on map 60mm mortars etc.) ?   

What does it say on the support panel of the indirect fire asset (Denied, Out of Contact, etc.)?  

Are you able to plot the green target area for the indirect fire anywhere else on the map?  I know you can't get it where you want it but can you at least plot it next to your requesting HQ unit or somewhere else?